Pont Noir

Live Life in Creuse

How fast does grass grow?
by Ricardo • Tue 12 May 2020 11:57
Whilst we have owned our house in France over the last 14 years, we have made new friends and very helpful neighbours. We have been impressed by their sincerity and generosity. We have an informal agreement with a next door neighbour who offered to mow the grass every two weeks or so when we were not at our property. This worked very well for some years and he was recompensed accordingly. However I have just received an email from him stating that the grass throughout April has grown rapidly meaning that his mowing exploits amounted to the equivalent of 40 hours work! Am I being suspicious as we cannot visit until the lockdown has ceased? Or is my suspicion aroused because he also said in the email that he will be moving to a house some 40 miles away. How fast has the grass grown in April?
Ricardo
Jul 2009
Re: How fast does grass grow?
by Dave • Tue 12 May 2020 14:35
Depending on the growing conditions and type of grass you can expect it to grow up to several inches a week in late April and May and perhaps earlier if the spring is warm and I would think that if you want to keep a nice tidy lawn it might need cutting once a week but, unless you have a professional quality pitch of some kind, no more than that. You might argue that a maintenance cut to keep things under control would only be needed every two weeks although this will make it more work especially if you are clearing away the cuttings somehow so when I looked after a neighbours grass for a couple a years I would sometimes cut it every week on a high cut just to make life easier even when they were not coming over any time soon.

Even with cutting every week that's only four cuts at 10 hours a time. That seems a lot, but of course you might have acres of grass or difficult access or be doing it with a little push along mower or also strimming around the border so it might take a fair while - I guess up to twice the normal amount for for your plot is plausible anyway.
Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by Creusebear • Sat 16 May 2020 22:33
We've been moving towards more wild flower meadows as a way of helping pollinators and reducing the amount of mowing needed. We also have a fosse and were a bit unsure about leaving grasses with long roots on it (probably over-cautious there!) so have resowed it with a slow growing estate grass which should also reduce maintenance (see Cotswold seeds). We have had various informal arrangements for grass cutting over the years and one in particular was an absolute neat-freak in his approach to garden maintenance, even his friends would say 'Il est fanatique!'. Place looked fab but it cost us a fortune! Our present arrangement has a more 'laissez-faire' attitude which suits us fine. I am reassured too that he is keeping a vague eye on the place. Can't wait to be able to be there ourselves again!
Creusebear
May 2007
by David_J • Sat 23 May 2020 14:29
Too bl**dy fast!
David_J
Aug 2006
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions