Pont Noir

Live Life in Creuse

Re: The C word!
by charlie • Mon 06 Apr 2020 20:21
David, that is a very sad situation and it puts our problems into perspective. Don't give up hope; most of us have experienced unemployment for short periods and come out of it and survived. Keep an open mind about future employment.
I hope your current job remains open and some money keeps coming in. Good luck.
I think we are all missing the joys of our second homes in or near the Creuse.
Alistair
charlie
Dec 2004
by Daviddiavel • Tue 07 Apr 2020 15:21
Thanks guys for your kind words.
Have phone call with HR tomorrow to discuss situation, but you know what companies are like, they will have already decided exactly what they will be doing, but I will not know till end of month. just hope they offer me a bit of money to keep me going until we get out of this lockdown as I cannot get another job at the moment.
Maybe we can all meet for a drink at the Hotel du Lac sometime in the future.
David.
Daviddiavel
Jan 2018
by charlie • Thu 09 Apr 2020 18:37
Hotel du Lac sounds like a great idea! We have not been there but have made trips to Argentomagus and Gargilesse and walked the dog near the dam at the North end of the lake. Let's hope we will be able to travel to France before the end of the summer. I keep rebooking our ferry deeper into the year.
Good luck with your meeting.
Alistair
charlie
Dec 2004
by RobertArthur • Fri 10 Apr 2020 13:08
@ Virtdave: I'm just walking the dog, used to be easier. Show me your attestation, please (Ausweis, bitte!). Shopping, just take your bicycle? You must be joking, allowed during the Tour de France season, but to use it as a simple means of transport? C'est du concurrence deloyale pour Renault, Peugeot et Citroën....... Regs, their interpretations, new regs, new questions etc.
RobertArthur
Mar 2009
by virtdave • Sat 11 Apr 2020 19:41
California has done a pretty good job so far in imposing strict but reasonable controls, as have several other US states--despite the appalling 'leadership' of Trump and his cronies. One of the very few silver linings is the probability that he'll be ousted in November. Tho he may well declare himself President for Life, or (with help from his idol Putin) just destroy the electoral process here.
virtdave
Sep 2008
by virtdave • Sun 12 Apr 2020 11:24
from the electric bulletin board of my meighborhood;

> A chronology of the events of the past few months with Captain Trump of the RMS Titanic at the helm:
>
> There isn't any iceberg.
>
> There was an iceberg but it's in a totally different ocean.
>
> The iceberg is in this ocean but it will melt very soon.
>
> There is an iceberg but we didn't hit the iceberg.
>
> We hit the iceberg, but the damage will be repaired very shortly.
>
> The iceberg is a Chinese iceberg.
>
> We are taking on water but every passenger who wants a lifeboat can get a lifeboat, and they are beautiful lifeboats.
>
> Look, passengers need to ask nicely for the lifeboats if they want them.
>
> We don't have any lifeboats, we're not lifeboat distributors.
>
> Passengers should have planned for icebergs and brought their own lifeboats.
>
> I really don't think we need that many lifeboats.
>
> We have lifeboats and they're supposed to be our lifeboats, not the passengers' lifeboats.
>
> The lifeboats were left on shore by the last captain of this ship.
>
> Nobody could have foreseen the iceberg.
>
> I am the greatest Captain of any ship anywhere, anytime.

And if less than half the people in the USA die it will be due to the amazing leadership of Captain Trump.
virtdave
Sep 2008
by Creusebear • Tue 14 Apr 2020 19:23
Virtdave
That is darkly funny - not sure whether to laugh or cry. It will be interesting to see what history has to say of all our our elected (and non elected) leaders' decisions during this time.
So, it has been three weeks since the UK lockdown, I hope you are all keeping well? I think a PN meet up at the Hotel du Lac would be a great idea.
Creusebear
May 2007
by Daviddiavel • Thu 30 Apr 2020 10:49
As I expected was made redundant today. Hopefully all this mess will change for the better soon.
looks like France are loosening the lockdown in a couple of weeks, I hope I can soon return and if I am jobless can at least enjoy the time off in crozant !!!
Daviddiavel
Jan 2018
by Creusebear • Sun 03 May 2020 23:25
Daviddiavel
I am so sorry to hear your news, that sucks. Are you OK?
Life does not seem fair with everything else we are having to deal with. The longer this limbo lasts the harder it is to see what the future holds.
Wishing you well and looking forward to our next time in the Creuse, whenever that may be.
Creusebear
May 2007
by charlie • Wed 06 May 2020 20:38
That is really sad news for you! Very sorry.
It seems that second home owners will still be prevented from travelling into France from UK. I hope that there are further changes to the restrictions very soon.
One of our friends who live in France hinted that we could travel down from Holland (or maybe it was Belgium) to avoid border checks. I haven't looked into the feasibility of such a journey but suspect that the 100km limit would also come into play. We are resigned to a longer delay but hope we can get there for the Summer period, or perhaps the Autumn.
Best wishes to you all, Alistair.
charlie
Dec 2004
by moses • Fri 15 May 2020 13:01
hi all has anyone tried travelling down from uk at all, hope this muck goes away soon thats for sure keep safe everyone
best regards
anthony
moses
Aug 2006
by charlie • Fri 15 May 2020 19:42
Anthony, we don't know anyone who has made the trip from UK to their second homes in France. Our plan is to wait until both countries have firm, settled procedures that would guarantee passage in both directions when we choose. At the moment we have one return ferry booking from France with BF at the end of July but no booking to go out there. We may use the tunnel if it seems more acceptable. BF had cancelled all normal passenger trips up to 15th June. I need to check again today if there has been any change. I expect the conditions will change day by day so we will keep our plans flexible.
We did get some good news through our French neighbour. She sent a dozen photos of our property showing our gardener has been cutting the grass so no jungle when we finally get there. Other friends have volunteered to clean up our pond. I think they are demob happy and want something to do away from their house. We are very fortunate.
Alistair
charlie
Dec 2004
by moses • Sun 17 May 2020 18:09
im sure things will improve with time and hopefully can get down later in year, loads of ppe for trip and enough food to isolate for a good while on arrival thats for sure.
this has certainly made me look at life in a different way and like others the money situation is as worrying as illness.
restez en securitie
anthony
moses
Aug 2006
by Daviddiavel • Tue 09 Jun 2020 12:44
well it looks like we are getting nearer to be able to go to our house in Crozant hopefully first week in July after everything that has gone on, I need a holiday,
Though will no doubt spend a fair proportion of it gardening and sorting out house, as we could not go for a few months.
Lets all hope there is now light at end of tunnel (or ferry)
David.
Daviddiavel
Jan 2018
by Ricardo • Wed 10 Jun 2020 15:57
Inspite list of all the horror stories regarding obtaining refunds for missed travel, I have been pleased with the response of Eurotunnel. We always buy a Frequent Traveller package as many do. This enables you to use the tunnel for a minimum of ten crossings in a year at about half the normal cost. We were scheduled to travel out at the beginning of April and return by 12 May, the date our Frequent Traveller was due to expire. This would have allowed us to use our final two crossings. Fortunately Eurotunnel have informed us that that validity of the remaining tickets will be extended for over a year. At last some good news.
Ricardo
Jul 2009
by Daviddiavel • Thu 11 Jun 2020 12:36
just looking at Eurotunnel. at the moment until 15th june they are offering a no questions asked refund and prices are good at the moment. We are going to book for july 6th
for 3 weeks and hope we can go then, if not we can rearrange or cancel and get refund so seems a good deal worth considering.
Daviddiavel
Jan 2018
by virtdave • Thu 11 Jun 2020 18:20
I just heard from a friend who has a place in France. Last week he was, astonishingly, able to fly from the USA to CDG, take a train from the Gare Montparnasse to Bordeaux, and another train to get to his house in Corrèze. Took him only 19 hours. To clear customs, all he had to do was basically renounce his American citizenship permanently. With the tailspin the USA is in, it's beginning to seem like a reasonable option.....
virtdave
Sep 2008
by moses • Sat 13 Jun 2020 12:01
Hoping to go start of Aug via ferry but planning to stay until I run funds out........ppe and anti bac spray a plenty and ill self isolate on arrival to keep neighbors safe.
Dread to think if mowers will run etc
Keep safe all
moses
Aug 2006
by charlie • Sat 13 Jun 2020 19:33
I just heard from a friend who has a place in France. Last week he was, astonishingly, able to fly from the USA to CDG, take a train from the Gare Montparnasse to Bordeaux, and another train to get to his house in Corrèze. Took him only 19 hours. To clear customs, all he had to do was basically renounce his American citizenship permanently. With the tailspin the USA is in, it's beginning to seem like a reasonable option.....
"Renounce citizenship", that is really serious and final! I guess he knows what he is doing and will enjoy a new life in France.
Did the 19 hours include the flight?
Alistair
charlie
Dec 2004
by virtdave • Sun 14 Jun 2020 22:46
He said the total time from leaving the USA until arrival in Corrèze was 19 hours. Of course, his decision is serious, and I too hope he finds France a better home....
virtdave
Sep 2008
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions