Pont Noir

Live Life in Creuse

The C word!
by Creusebear • Wed 04 Mar 2020 21:15
So how is coronavirus affecting day to day life in the Creuse? We are coming over in a few weeks so are hoping that things have settled down a little by then.
Creusebear
May 2007
Re: The C word!
by Dave • Thu 05 Mar 2020 10:55
* cough *
Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by charlie • Thu 05 Mar 2020 20:42
We are coming out in a few weeks time as well and are wondering about the general state of affairs in the region. Is it a talking point? Are there any precautions being taken that may affect our normal, easy going life style such as shopping and restaurants?
We are also concerned about the ferries, especially if the C spreads dramatically.
Thanks, Alistair
charlie
Dec 2004
by virtdave • Mon 09 Mar 2020 02:01
I assume the level of concern in Creuse is pretty much like it is in semi-rural northern California--i.e., wary but not frantic. We're scheduled to return to France at the end of May. Insh'Allah.
For the past 15 years I've joined the local boar hunt. Every hunting day regularly starts with every new arrival shaking hands with the team. Hard to believe this ritual changing, but in California, greeting someone with a handshake or kiss is starting to be replaced by a namaste-form bow.
virtdave
Sep 2008
by Daviddiavel • Tue 10 Mar 2020 12:22
just returned from our little house in Crozant last night. Nothing has seemed to change in the Creuse area and no one seems to be discussing the corona situation.
However most of the Reataurant/bars are still closed for the winter and very few people are about. We did go to Cognac for a couple of days and enjoyed visiting a couple of Cognac houses, both very quiet which suited us fine. Travelling back last night we saw very few English cars and the ferry was relatively empty, so many people are simply not travelling. I plan to return at easter , but who knows what the situation around travelling will be by then.
Daviddiavel
Jan 2018
by mdouglas1701 • Wed 11 Mar 2020 17:23
Glad to hear things are relatively quiet - I'm flying over to Limoges next weekend to view some properties and wouldn't want anything to interfere with that!!
mdouglas1701
Feb 2020
by virtdave • Sun 15 Mar 2020 16:52
Any more news from Creuse? I imagine it's still rather like the northern California coast, not directly impacted but not terribly reassuring. In our nearest big city, Santa Rosa (about the size of Limoges) it's apparently pretty hectic in the big supermarkets--runs on toilet paper (!) etc and hand sanitizer. We're crippled in the USA rather more than in Europe by having a sociopathic clown in charge.
virtdave
Sep 2008
by charlie • Sun 15 Mar 2020 20:22
It is very likely that our next visit, planned to start on 24th March, will be postponed. We can't afford to get stuck in France and miss a family wedding. Even the wedding has only a slim chance of happening in early April.
We are supposed to be "self isolating" due to our ages and although we are quite healthy and strong we are taking it seriously. Our local community has set up a mutual help network to ensure nobody is left without support.
Let's hope that the C virus dies down so all our lives can resume as normal without many more deaths.
Good luck to you all, Alistair
charlie
Dec 2004
by charlie • Mon 16 Mar 2020 20:23
We have heard today that there are two cases of C in Gueret. Is this confirmed? Also, Brittany Ferries have made sweeping changes in their crossings. The main ones left are Portsmouth -Caen which is our route but we are definitely postponing our trip. Now we must contact our grass cutting French neighbour to plead for help in keeping the grass short. Money saved on the travel can be put to a good cause i.e. The grass man! He will deserve every euro.
Alistair
charlie
Dec 2004
by virtdave • Wed 18 Mar 2020 20:16
Just spoke to a friend in Creuse. Here in semi-rural northern California, shelter-in-place is now the law, but the requirements in France seem so draconian as to be counter-productive. My French friend has to have a document with her to walk her dog in the woods. We just cancelled our airline tickets for May, perhaps (we hope) we'll come over later this summer....
virtdave
Sep 2008
by Creusebear • Sun 22 Mar 2020 22:58
Well, I don't know about everyone else, but I am currently feeling pretty freaked out. I seem to have taught my last face to face class ever (planned retirement at the end of the year) and we will be teaching via the computer from now on. How did this happen so quickly? I can't even surmise when we will next be able to visit the Creuse and (selfishly) I was really looking forward to spending Easter in the peace and calm. As we settle in to a possible 3 months self incarceration, I wish everybody health and safety. Keep posting!
Creusebear
May 2007
by Creusebear • Tue 24 Mar 2020 19:44
Had a lovely email from our neighbour in La Creuse today. She had taken some photos of our garden showing all the daffs and daisies in flower. Made my day!
Creusebear
May 2007
by charlie • Tue 24 Mar 2020 19:59
We received an email from our grass cutting neighbour in France asking if we were well and if we were coming to France. He is always helpful and reliable. My wife sent back the inevitable reply that we can not travel France from the UK to France and could he look after the grass while we are absent. I hope he sends another message confirming he will be able to do this.
We are missing our lovely French home!
Alistair
charlie
Dec 2004
by Daviddiavel • Fri 27 Mar 2020 11:26
yes this is an unprecedented situation. I am lucky living in a small village so we can at least have a country walk daily with little chance of meeting anyone. It looks like I will now lose 20% of my salary, but will hopefully keep my job. was also planning on going to France for Easter, the local grass cutters will no doubt be having yet another customer !
At least they will be doing well out of the situation. Sorry Creusebear (don't know your real name) about your enforced retirement, after 30 years I don't suppose its the way you wanted to end your career. Keep well everyone
Daviddiavel
Jan 2018
by sevy1 • Fri 27 Mar 2020 16:01
We left the Creuse last Sunday on the last flight to Manchester from Limoges. The Airport was deserted. Only around 30 on the flight. Back in Manchester we were the only passengers passing through passport control. Surreal.
We were at our house for 10 days did a big shop at the start and then only visits to the bakery. The weather was sunny throughout so the garden is immaculate, trimmed, pruned grass cut edges done. Even dry stone walls repaired. It was just perfect. By July a Jungle!!. Not many pass our house normally but even fewer than normal with the lockdown. We have a neighbour that kindly cuts our grass however they are back in the UK unsure when they will be back in France. Our next trip was for start of May reluctantly cancelled the car hire and flights yesterday, after that July fingers crossed.
We both work in the frontline NHS so pleased to be back home helping with the effort to fight the virus with our friends and colleagues. Fairly quiet at the moment but we all know it is coming!!
Keep safe and well
Sevy
sevy1
Sep 2013
by Creusebear • Mon 30 Mar 2020 18:31
Isn't it scary how quickly we get used to a new normal?
I spent last week trying to give meaningful lessons, tasks and activities through Google. It was exhausting, but as a school, we managed to make it to Friday in relatively good shape. I am already worrying how to sustain this fro the 12 weeks of the summer term. I have been out of the house twice, once to do my bit at school with the children of key workers and once to the supermarket. There's now security, wipes for the trolleys and a one way system in store as well as the 2m marks on the floor. I look around at the other shoppers and wonder where the line is drawn between sensible and too much. I wore gloves but no mask as I have heard from all that they are pointless but did I contaminate myself when I took them off? Thomas is in the 'sort of shielded even tho' I didn't get a letter' category, so upon my return I will change and shower and put the clothes I wore in the wash - sensible?,too much? Equally, should I be wiping all the shopping down before putting it away?
On the plus side - I made a rice pudding for the first time in my life yesterday and it was awesome!
Davidaviel - it certainly is an odd way to end three decades in one job!
Sevy! - Thank you to you, your partner and your colleagues for your dedication to keeping us all safe!
Creusebear
May 2007
by Creusebear • Tue 31 Mar 2020 20:03
I have been hearing lots of stories from around the world of animals reclaiming the deserted streets: rats in New Orleans, dolphins in Venice, a civet on an Indian high street and goats in Wales.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-52103967
Any Creusois critter sightings? cerfs on the town square? sangliers wandering down the high street?
Creusebear
May 2007
by Daviddiavel • Wed 01 Apr 2020 18:03
creusebear, jealous you can retire in a few months.
Just had a bad couple of days, though thankgoodness only really about money !!
Was furloughed yesterday so salary has now dropped about 50% ,then today told in a redundancy situation and likely to lose job at end of month with probably only
a minimal payoff and obviously in the current situation no chance of getting a new job !!!
Would like to jack it all in and live in Crozant .
Best wishes to you all and keep safe.
David.
Daviddiavel
Jan 2018
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions