Travelling after Brexit
by Creusebear • Mon 18 Feb 2019 19:46

In the absence of any kind of reassurance from anybody, I am 'prepping' for our Easter visit to the Creuse. Today, we got International Driving Permits (1968) from the Post Office, I have checked my EU breakdown cover and health insurance will continue to be valid and have requested a Green Card from my car insurer as proof of insurance on the continent. It's beginning to look a lot like 1970.
We have also taken the decision not to go via Dover but take an alternative route as we are travelling very close to 'B' Day. Part of me feels that, like the Millennium Bug, it may all be a damp squib, but better save than sorry!
Is there anything else, I should be considering and for those of you resident in France full time, what is the advice have you been given if you are travelling the other way with French documents?

Creusebear
May 2007
Re: Travelling after Brexit
by charlie • Tue 19 Feb 2019 19:34

Thanks for the timely reminder about all those things that may be needed. Our first trip to France this year has been brought forward a month with a return to UK before the 29th March. This is mainly due to taking our dog as usual and avoiding any chance of him being detained in France.
Alistair

charlie
Dec 2004
by Creusebear • Wed 20 Feb 2019 19:43

I hadn't even considered what effect B may have on pet passports! Did you get any advice?

Creusebear
May 2007
by virtdave • Sun 24 Feb 2019 01:34

I doubt there will be any hassle coming from the UK to France. We have traveled from the USA to France and back dozens of times, with our dog--the only thing required each way was a certification of current rabies vaccination. There is an enormous form which 28 European bureaucrats have cobbled together which is in principle required to enter any EU country from anywhere....the instructions require it be filled out in black ink only (!), and be stamped by one's vet (vets in California don't have such stamps, but we faked it)....every time we come to CDG, I brandish the form at the douaniers, trying to get them to certify that it's adequate.......they decline even to look at it, it's just "beau chien, soyez les bienvenus en France"
As far as returning to the UK, dunno.....back when there was a ridiculous quarantine requirement, I joined a small society dedicated to eliminating this, and tho I doubt our efforts contributed all that much, it did get more or less stopped.....

virtdave
Sep 2008
by RobertArthur • Sun 24 Feb 2019 18:41

Worst case scenario, a no deal. Pandora's box and what's inside, a quick inventarisation yesterday in The Guardian. About pets the following summary: "The EU pet passport scheme ends for UK travellers and their cats and dogs – replaced with expensive tests every time they travel."

RobertArthur
Mar 2009
by Creusebear • Wed 03 Apr 2019 11:05

Well, we made it 'sans drame', although the Portsmouth/St Malo ferry seemed rather empty. I was musing on our way to Creuse, passing through all those small towns on the RN proudly displaying their 'twinned with' signs, and wondered what is going to happen to all the committees between English towns and other towns in Europe? Will there be an official 'divorce' ceremony or will the signs simply disappear?

Creusebear
May 2007
by Dave • Wed 03 Apr 2019 12:14

That's a sad thought but thankfully the twinning thing isn't an EU thing. It's possible that twinning with the UK will become even more popular when it's out since that might make it seem more exotic (or just open to a larger twinning budget haha).

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by anne • Thu 04 Apr 2019 10:00

Same here - all the prehistoric documentation ready for travel on 26 March. We came Newcastle-Amsterdam (partly a Brexit manoeuvre and partly because we live in Scotland now). We'll be returning Cherbourg/Poole. Extra expense and time, but who knew we'd still be in limbo at this point? grrrrr.

anne
Mar 2008
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions