Do you think the lower speed limit will work?
  • Yes
    30% (3)
  • No
    70% (7)

Total votes: 10

80km/h Maximum Speed on Local Roads
by Dave • Sat 30 Jun 2018 16:49

In case you've missed it a two year trial starts tomorrow - 1 July 2018 reducing the maximum speed on local roads from 90km/h to 80km/h (50mph)

The law reduces the speed on all two lane roads without a central reservation.

The speed of 50km/h in towns remains the same.

The aim is to reduce the number of road deaths which have remained stubbornly high in France.

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
Re: 80km/h Maximum Speed on Local Roads
by Creusebear • Sun 01 Jul 2018 15:57

A very timely reminder as we are coming over soon and I had forgotten! I hope it does reduce fatalities, but is the main cause of road deaths speed, senility or inebriation? And don't get me started on the 'sans permis'!

Creusebear
May 2007
by RobertArthur • Sat 28 Jul 2018 10:05

In Le Parisien an article about: "Les vraies causes de la mortalité sur les autoroutes" Smartphones, drinking, fatigue are difficult to target. Easier - the government is really trying to protect it's beloved citoyens et citoyennes - is replacing the existing 90 km road signs by 80 km signs made in France of course.

RobertArthur
Mar 2009
by virtdave • Mon 30 Jul 2018 23:28

It's pretty clear that this new speed limit is as bogus as the (never enforced, but still on-the-books) law that every vehicle must have 2 (two!) alcotest gadgets in one's glove box. The administration in Creuse has reportedly informed the central authorities that they bloody well will not pay for the new 80kph signs.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by Creusebear • Sun 05 Aug 2018 17:02

Our neighbours are most disgruntled about the new speed limit. But the best example for lack of joined up thinking I have heard so far is from a bus driver. The new lower speed limits mean (obviously) that their route takes longer to complete yet the bus company have refused to change the timetable to accommodate this so they are now always late!

Creusebear
May 2007
by Freezerbill • Wed 08 Aug 2018 07:54

Does anyone not agree that speed kills?

Think of any accident scenario, and think of of it at high speed and low speed

If the speed limit was restricted to 20 kmh and every vehicle was restricted to that speed how many fatalities do you think there would be?

Ok a restriction like that would be silly but it would reduce deaths wouldn’t it?

Freezerbill
Mar 2014
by virtdave • Wed 08 Aug 2018 09:39

The relation between excessive speed and severity of damage from road accidents is clear. It has been extensively studied. I spent my professional career in a trauma center, and saw personally the damages. However, lowering the speed limit universally is pretty silly, and imho represents the kind of knee-jerk legislation passed without consideration of a more subtle approach.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by Freezerbill • Wed 08 Aug 2018 09:43

What would a more subtle approach look like?

Freezerbill
Mar 2014
by David_J • Wed 08 Aug 2018 11:18

My car will not drop into top gear at less than 90 km/h!

David_J
Aug 2006
by virtdave • Wed 08 Aug 2018 12:50

There are certainly some roads where an 80kph (or even, like the road in front our our house) a 20kph limit would be reasonable. The law could have (and should have) just suggested lower speed limits, and let people who actually use the roads, as represented by, for instance, local mayors, decide which roads would really be safer if folks went slower--but there are many stretches of straight, well-paved roads where 80kph doesn't make sense.

virtdave
Sep 2008
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions