Brexit: Will you sell up before it is finalised?
  • Yes, I plan to sell before Brexit is final
    0% (0)
  • No, I've no plans to sell up yet
    83% (5)
  • I'm not bothered by Brexit 'cos I'm not a Brit
    17% (1)
  • Bah humbug, Brexit won't happen
    0% (0)

Total votes: 6

Brexit: Will you sell up before it is finalised?
by Dave • Sat 19 May 2018 18:54

Brexit. Well, like it or not, it seems to be a new reality and in a couple of years (currently after 31 Dec 2020) Brits will no longer be European citizens and therefore won't have the rights that go with it. Will you keep your home in the Creuse or sell up before it finally happens? Staying or selling up afterwards will probably mean more taxes for non-residents.

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
Re: Brexit: Will you sell up before it is finalised?
by Freezerbill • Sat 19 May 2018 19:25

I am worried but dont know what to do

Freezerbill
Mar 2014
by virtdave • Sun 20 May 2018 08:53

None of the options apply precisely to us. We're not Brits, but I do believe that Brexit was (if not engineered) encouraged by the Poutine gang, like the election of Trump in the USA, to weaken Poutine's opposition. For all its many faults, the EU seems to have presided over a very long peace in Europe.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by Creusebear • Sun 20 May 2018 16:15

As holiday home owners I am hoping we will still be able to keep our house in Creuse for a while yet with little change. It is so difficult to get any sense of the practical implications when Brexit goes live. Will we need a visa? Will we be taxed differently? Who knows! I have tried to maintain a 'Que sera, sera' approach. When the bottom fell out of the property market I realised we would never cover our costs when we sold anyway so might as well enjoy the house while we can and not stress too much over the unknowns. I know that is not a practical approach for everyone.

Creusebear
May 2007
by Daviddiavel • Wed 23 May 2018 14:03

Having recently bought a holiday home, my belief is that nothing will really change.

Business has to go on, like it or not, so an agreement will have to be made. It will probably all end up exactly as things are because its too complicated, expensive, and could damage everyone's economy too much. Ultimately I think it may end up with the EU becoming more efficient and Britain rejoining under better terms in the future.

Daviddiavel
Jan 2018
by Ceejays • Tue 05 Jun 2018 20:25

In one word...........No......................did Great Britain abandon France during Nazi occupation, I think not, so why would I abandon a country I love due to a misguided plebisicite.

If you always do what you've always done you'll always get what you always got.
Ceejays
Jan 2007
by sevy1 • Wed 06 Jun 2018 18:22

I will continue to watch the news and read everything written about Brexit, a real roller coaster!!
I have always worked towards retiring to France, getting our house in the Creuse ready. Spending thousands on renovations. I keep hoping for the best.
I am now resigned to having to apply for a Visa every year initially with the hope that one day the French government will give me the rite to remain and allow me to join the Healthcare system. Private healthcare is an option whilst young and fit but well into old age becomes prohibitively expensive. Unfortunately my retirement comes the year after the proposed transition period and I am unsure retiring earlier to "roll under the gate" as it comes crashing down is the right thing to do.
I will continue to watch and wait. What a mess!!!!!
Is anyone else in a similar position?
Sevy

sevy1
Sep 2013
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions