visas
by virtdave • Thu 03 May 2018 19:21

The French (or perhaps the EU) bureaucracy has finally decided to enforce the visa-needed-for-more-than-three-months rule. So we spent a bizarre day at the San Francisco French consulate, and after considerable weird paper-shuffling did get them. And a few days ago I got a link, thanks to my daughter's peculiar job which involves keeping up with the Albanian press, which suggests that the whole process is planned to become quick, cheap and painless. Forgive my deep scepticism; I'd be interested if anyone has any opinions about ETIAS. Even though the UK is not in the Schengen group, it appears this ETIAS visa won't be necessary (even if it is eventually available) for you Brits.
If there are no terrorist issues, mid-air catastrophes, or Air France strikes, we should be back in Creuse on May 8. Wish us luck.

virtdave
Sep 2008
Re: visas
by Dave • Fri 04 May 2018 08:56

Good luck with the trip - I hope it goes smoothly. I'd always assumed that you guys needed a visa or waiver for each trip. I'd like to think that even after the UK actually and definitely leaves the EU we won't need a visa, but I expect that the UK will want one for EU citizens for long stays and so 5 minutes after that the EU will want one too.

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by Annik • Sat 17 Nov 2018 13:47

With Brexit being so traumatic at the moment, we have been wondering if we will need visas, as it would completely mess up our French lives if we could only come for three months at a time with a three-months gap between visits. Could you tell us what is now involved in getting them, Virtdave? I thought I remembered reading that they were expensive but maybe they aren't now - altough I share your deep scepticism, in that any bureaucracy faced with a cash cow will surely milk it dry.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
by virtdave • Sat 17 Nov 2018 16:45

The cost of the visa itself is not the problem....but we're also required to get very pricey health insurance for the time we're in France. And a letter from the California Attorney General attesting we're not felons....we did (it wasn't easy) get the letter, and tho of course we could be convicted bank robbers in any other of the 49 states here, the French consulate accepted the California one. We did, finally, get the visa, and spent a delightful 6 months this summer in Creuse, returning to California just in time for the wildfires which, tho 150 km from where we live, still impact the air quality rather unpleasantly.....
Since Brexit is such a dog's breakfast, it's impossible to predict what will shake out for you Brits, but from what I've read recently, it won't be amusing. Mr. Putin's efforts to sow disorder in Europe and the USA have proven quite effective.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by Annik • Sat 17 Nov 2018 18:53

You are so right! We are dreading what is to come... Thank you for your reply.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions