Cottage cheese
by edmoraz • Sun 22 May 2011 09:32

Can you get cottage cheese in France :?:
What is it called.

edmoraz
Feb 2008
Re: Cottage cheese
by RobertArthur • Sun 22 May 2011 12:07

Not the same, but fromage blanc comes close. This is info on a French website, and it seems that Danone has some sort of equivalent, and Gervais has Hüttenkäse.

Robert

RobertArthur
Mar 2009
by Creusebear • Sun 22 May 2011 12:26

Coincidentally, I've been trying to make fromage blanc today (my first foray into the world of mold) following this guy on You Tube. Mine isn't splitting though so I'm feeling a bit despondant. Any cheese gurus out there?

Creusebear
May 2007
by edmoraz • Sun 22 May 2011 12:39

It looks delicious, I have always struggled to get whole milk in France though. Let us know how you get on. Good luck.

Thanks for the info RobertArthur.

edmoraz
Feb 2008
by dissid32 • Tue 24 May 2011 14:28

I'm sure my mother used to make this, mainly to use up milk that had gone off. This was in the days before most people had fridges. No heating of milk, or lemon juice, or buttermilk required. Presumably you could still do it this way. Just get some milk and let it go off and then strain it through muslin. Or you can get pots to strain it.
I imagine this is how cheese making started. It would have been the only way of storing milk in those days. Excess of milk in the summer would have been turned into cheese to eat during the winter. Cottage cheese is only the early stage of the process.
One can get unUHT'd milk in most supermarkets. Generally it's not with the other milk, but probably near the butter etc. 'Lait frais', blue tops or red tops. Or if one happens to live near a farm that has dairy cows, you might be able to get it direct from them. Or goats milk. Take a bottle with you.
I've been getting goats milk fromage blanc from the local market. They call it 'faisselle', which actually I believe is the word for the pot they strain it in. I have seen cows milk faisselle, but it's not as common, and anyway I prefer goats milk. So if you see a fromage de chevres seller in the market, just ask them. They may have some out of sight in a cold box.
Phew! I thought that was only going to be a quick post.
P.S. Fromage blanc isn't as curdy as the cottage cheese you're used to, but I prefer it.

Patrick
dissid32
Feb 2006
by edmoraz • Tue 24 May 2011 14:38

Thanks a lot will try the local markets.

edmoraz
Feb 2008
by dissid32 • Tue 24 May 2011 20:52

You can of course get fromage blanc in the supermarkets. Probably nicely pasteurised and fat reduced etc. I'm not sure whether fromage frais and fromage blanc are the same thing.

Patrick
dissid32
Feb 2006
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions