Speeding fines and points
by cmchsmjm • Thu 04 Apr 2019 21:07

I received an email this morning from a hire car company at Limoges airport informing me of 3 speeding fines issued against me...3!!
The time/locations seem to tally with our travels but I don't recall ever seeing any speed cameras (or flashes in rear view mirror) or police at the side of the road etc.

I will worry about the fines if and when they arrive here in the UK and challenge them if I am not happy but my main concern at the moment is whether or not I will have point added to my license.

According to the records I was 13km, 12km and 14km over the speed limit .

Has anyone here had points added (or is deducted) on/from their UK license?

cmchsmjm
Jan 2010
Re: Speeding fines and points
by virtdave • Thu 04 Apr 2019 21:30

The gilets jaunes seem to be targeting speed cameras--apparently quite a number have been destroyed. Of course, No One is in favor of wanton destruction of (quasi-)governmental property. But :mrgreen: . There are many things in the USA which are deplorable, but we don't have (yet?) speeding tickets issued by computer. I recall one case, somewhere in Limousin I think, where a farmer's tractor, which had never left his fields, was nailed for speeding....

virtdave
Sep 2008
by Dave • Fri 05 Apr 2019 09:53

I've not heard of anyone getting the points on their UK license, although they have paid the fines (since they live here and drive a French registered car). Unless you've been very reckless I doubt they have the resources to chase UK based folks for speeding fines and I expect that's even less likely as we exit the EU. Wait for the paperwork and make sure you were driving at the time and place shown before doing anything else.

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by Daviddiavel • Sun 07 Apr 2019 15:42

yes I have just got 4 speeding fines !!!
2 from last august 2 from xmas time.
they are really hot on the new 80kmh speed although I never saw a camera flash me. but I do admit I thought I could not be caught in a uk registered car so was not being too careful. I will from now on !!
The law has recently changed and the uk government has allowed the EU access to their car database so the French are having a field day. interestingly enough
the uk has not reciprocated so French drivers can speed to their hearts content in the uk with impunity.
Fortunately you will not receive points on a uk licence for speeding in france. but you must pay the fines as the French authorities can take legal action against you.
Italy are also on the bandwagon was son has recently recd a parking ticket from last summer for his uk registered camper van.
We all now need to be extra vigilant
David.

Daviddiavel
Jan 2018
by cmchsmjm • Sun 07 Apr 2019 18:15

Hi David,

have you only just received the fines from August and xmas? Seems like it takes a while to process.
Just out of curiosity, if you (like me) didn't see any flashes, what tech has been used to determine how fast you were going?

Thanks
Craig

cmchsmjm
Jan 2010
by RobertArthur • Sun 07 Apr 2019 23:41

In the near future you will get a permis de conduire virtuel. After the first infraction you will receive a letter announcing the birth of your virtual French drivers license. And your points. Dark clouds over France: enough points and you are not allowed to drive in France for a year or more. Sunny intervals: not yet in force: Un décret doit préciser la date d'entrée en vigueur de ces dispositions.. Read more about it.

RobertArthur
Mar 2009
by Daviddiavel • Mon 08 Apr 2019 11:22

Craig,
the fines all mention speed cameras and the over speed allowance in france is only 5% unlike the 10% usually used in the uk.
so for one fine with 5% taken from my measured speed I was 1kmh over !!
I cannot see any point in trying to argue so am just going to have to pay up and be a lot more careful in the future.

Daviddiavel
Jan 2018
by charlie • Sun 14 Apr 2019 11:33

After nearly 20 years driving in France I have just received my first speeding fine. The day, time and probably the speed recorded are correct. The fine, which I have paid, was 90 euros. No points are mentioned.
The place was at Glenic where there is a fixed camera in the 50 kph zone. I always slow down for this zone as it is notorious for catching drivers just over the limit. A few years ago I was flashed while travelling at about 55kph but nothing came of it.
The fine was for a measured speed of 56kph and this gave a calculated value of 51kph. It was from a mobile unit and not the camera. We were trying to get to Gueret cinema and were slightly late. That explains my excess speed. I think it was dealt with manually by the operator who may have a grudge against UK drivers. The calculated value from a fixed camera only allows a 5% reduction so would give about 53kph and would probably be ignored.
I am sure I was going at less than the limit as I passed the fixed camera. The mobile unit were playing dirty tricks.
Regarding fighting your fines, look carefully at the increased fine if you contest the offence. You can ask for the photo evidence which may help your case.
Good luck!
Alistair

charlie
Dec 2004
by Creusebear • Sun 14 Apr 2019 22:22

:oops: :oops: Well, we have just come home (UK) to a speeding fine from the beginning of the month. We were definitely in the area although the alleged time was off. Will pay the reduced fine and hopefully learn from the experience! :oops:

Creusebear
May 2007
by cmchsmjm • Mon 29 Apr 2019 08:31

Well, while waiting to see what will happen with the speeding fines from March I received one from last year!

Our company car department forwarded a notice sent to them for a speeding offence last August. I had one day left to pay the reduced fine of 45€...by using the 'amendes.gouv' app it took about 30 seconds to settle (how very efficient).

I really must make an effort to stick to the speed limits!!! Just hope I don't receive any points...

cmchsmjm
Jan 2010
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions