Late Cranes
by rictel • Thu 15 Nov 2018 16:00

Had two large groups of Cranes fly over this afternoon.

Can't remember seeing any as late as mid November before.

rictel
Dec 2007
Re: Late Cranes
by Dave • Thu 15 Nov 2018 17:11

I noticed a bunch a week or so ago and we heard some after that but didn't see them in the clouds. I am not sure exactly when they come and go, but I always like hearing them and stop to watch the V go by. We also had a couple of large flocks of smaller birds. They were all silent except for their wings and an odd peep from the leader. It is pretty spooky when they fly low right overhead and all you hear is the whoosh whoosh whoosh of the wings.

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by prbreame • Wed 21 Nov 2018 17:39

I was in Montluçon at the weekend (17/18) and about 200 went over. I have never seen them so late before but they obviously knew that the cold weather was approaching :-D

prbreame
Nov 2018
by charlie • Fri 18 Jan 2019 13:49

We were in France this year from the middle of October to the middle of November so we were lucky enough to go to see early and late groups. We are going back for most of March (avoiding 29th) and wondered if the cranes would be returning then. Does anyone know when they usually fly North?
Alistair

charlie
Dec 2004
by rictel • Sun 20 Jan 2019 22:48

Think the earliest I've seen is late February, so would imagine there will be plenty going over in March, assuming we don't get really hard weather.

rictel
Dec 2007
by charlie • Tue 22 Jan 2019 17:51

Thank you for the information which certainly gives us a good chance of seeing them going in the opposite direction to our usual sightings. I hope they follow the same route, right over our house.
Alistair

charlie
Dec 2004
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions