American politics
by virtdave • Tue 07 Jun 2016 10:47

Today I noticed a poll in Le Figaro "Souhaitez-vous que Donald Trump soit le prochain président des États-Unis ?"--An astonishing 44% of the 28000 who responded chose "oui". Of course, readers of Le Figaro are not representative of the general French attitude, but I imagine it may represent a profound mépris for the USA. Trump does seem to be self-destructing, his egotism, racism and misogyny may finally be catching up to him.

virtdave
Sep 2008
Re: American politics
by Dave • Thu 09 Jun 2016 11:42

I hope that it'll be the same as Le Pen. People liked him as a protest vote against the same bland facelessness of modern politics but when it appears that he may get elected many people decide that it's perhaps not the best idea and voted against him. TBH I haven't followed it much and he comes across as a blustering buffoon better suited being a pundit on daytime TV than a statesman representing a nation, but since it's not my nation who am I to say that you shouldn't choose whom you like to represent you in the world.

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by virtdave • Thu 09 Jun 2016 14:32

Prediction is always iffy. But one of the more reliable prognostic signs is the betting line. There used to be an excellent site for this--intrade-- it got shut down, but there are several bookies who quote odds on the election, and currently Clinton is the 3 to 1 favorite. Intrade was about the first indication, eight years ago, that Obama would win. When it's a matter of betting, it seems that folks will usually put their money on what will probably occur, not what they themselves might want, and there have been learned articles from serious political scientists about this phenomenon.
The disturbing thing, for me, wrt Trump, is not that he's a blustering buffoon, etc., but that a sizable chunk of my compatriots have chosen him as the Republican candidate. Very recently, in large part due to his anti-Mexican blather, most of the Republican adults are trying to distance themselves from him, but it's gonna be very hard, maybe impossible, to deny him the candidacy...
And don't be shy about having an opinion about foreign politics. I myself have some fairly strong opinions about, for instance, Putin and Erdogan.....

virtdave
Sep 2008
by David_J • Thu 09 Jun 2016 16:19

One of them must get in, it will possibly go down in history as a poor choice of options

David_J
Aug 2006
by virtdave • Tue 14 Jun 2016 10:00

While I surely don't agree with everything Senator Clinton represents, she's a shining light compared to Mr. Trump. His shameful reaction to the Orlando massacre is another example.

virtdave
Sep 2008
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions