Brittany Ferries - economie service
by Annik • Fri 06 May 2016 11:44

Has anybody any experience of using the Brittany Ferries "economie" service from Portsmouth to Le Havre? For various reasons we need to come by ferry this time (early June) rather than via the Tunnel, and we want to bring the dog, of course. My husband suffers from seasickness and I wonder if the smaller ships don't have the same stabilisation as the big ones. As the idea is to give him a night's sleep it would be counter productive if he was ill! Is the whole experience very spartan?

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
Re: Brittany Ferries - economie service
by Creusebear • Sun 08 May 2016 11:09

Not quite the same but we came over on BF Portsmouth to St Malo at Easter and had a very comfortable night crossing with very little movement. We have also done Postmouth to Cherbourg in a smaller boat (4 hrs?) and it was very smooth too.

Creusebear
May 2007
by Annik • Sun 08 May 2016 12:59

Thanks very much for your help. In the end we decided to go through the Tunnel again on the grounds that Euro 2016 has pushed the ferry prices (for the days we want to go) up by £100 one-way, not including the price of a cabin - and cabins are like hen's teeth. So it's back to Plan A but Plan B (and your advice) will be in our minds for another occasion.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
by David_J • Mon 09 May 2016 12:00

Hi Annik
'er indoors' and I used the BF economy service between Le Havre and Portsmouth just before Christmas last year, mainly due to the nightmare that Calais/Dover has become. We didn't chose economy but that was the only option for the time we wished to travel. I have to say that it was very acceptable; adequate cabin, the boat was not too crowded, croissant (freshish) and coffee available from the (very) early wake up call. Interestingly, we met a couple with a dog which was allowed to be with them on the boat rather than being required to remain in their vehicle. I will use it again.

David_J
Aug 2006
by Annik • Mon 09 May 2016 12:15

That's really helpful - thank you so much.

Annik
Jun 2007
by Robjelves • Mon 16 May 2016 18:57

We always do the overnight from Portsmouth to Caen mainly due to timings. We have also done the economy and found it very good indeed. The only difference for us is no carpet in cabin and no free breakfast, everything else seems the same. If it fits with your travel plans go for it.

Robjelves
Dec 2013
by Annik • Mon 16 May 2016 19:41

Thank you very much for your help. Much appreciated! There's nothing like personal experience.

Annik
Jun 2007
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions