Do you own or have an interest in classic cars?
by Goose • Mon 14 Mar 2005 08:05

Reference my earlier posting about our first year in France (Creuse)we joined the local classic car club. It is called Amicale Creusoise de Vehicules D'Epoque (ACVE) and its president is our neighbour, Alain Coldre. It was a wonderful way for us to be integrated into French life and to gain many French friends with similar interests. The club has its own site which is: www.automoto23.com and there are interesting articles and photos from events attended over the past year. Sometimes we just exhibit our vehicles (all makes) and the public are able to wander amongst them having a good look and asking questions, other times we offer rides in the car of your choice for a very small "fee" which goes to whichever charity we're representing that day and other times we take a meandering route through pretty roads and visit interesting and/or beautiful places and either take picnics or we'll have previously arranged to have lunch at an auberge or similar. My husband and I were the first English members and there are now several of "us". We are very kindly accepted by the French members and we mingle very happily. It's also a good way to improve our speaking French. Why not take a look at the site and if you're interested, join in? Out of interest, our own car is a 1972 MGB Roadster with a V8 engine.

Goose
Mar 2005
re classic cars?
by Darkmetal • Tue 09 May 2006 15:31

Hi goose
Darkmetal here long time but thats us setteled :roll:
and managed to bring the GTO over no room for the X1.9
so had a look at the club page and wonder if the GTO would pass its a 1991 v6 3.o twin turbo manual if its ok could you tell me where the next metting is on I see there is something on at the 14 may do you have any more info
and times
thanks
alex
ps can the dog come as well she hates to be left behind

Darkmetal
Sep 2005
Re: Do you own or have an interest in classic cars?
by smartinee • Wed 10 May 2006 04:39

Hi
I have been thinking about how you have been getting on in Fourneaux. I drive through often as my daughter goes to school there and often wonder which house is yours!!
Hope all is good with you
How is the business coming along ( I think you mentioned B&B???)

smartinee
Mar 2005
by parsacjohn • Mon 15 May 2006 08:47

hello there, we have a holiday home in Parsac near Gouzon. Tommorrow we are looking at a 1974 left hand drive MG roadster
with a view to keeping it in France to use during the summer.Would it be straight forward if we decided to register it in France with it being so old and also originally brought over from the states, the other option is to take it back to the UK for the winter. Thanks.

parsacjohn
Feb 2005
by Goose • Fri 19 May 2006 06:37

Hello there, Sorry I didn't reply straight away but we have just got back from a two-week visit to the UK and not had time to look at the computer except to see our own e-mails! Did you buy the MG Roadster in the end? We had to go down the route of registering our 1972 MG Roadster as a vehicle of the collection because she has been modified - didn't have a V8 engine in originally, but that wasn't too difficult. Anyway, I have replied on the forum so that you know I have seen it but shall also send you a PM with our own e-mail address and we can talk that way. How long are you here for?

Goose
Mar 2005
by Alma • Wed 14 Jun 2006 12:14

Hello there. We are finally moving over to France at the end of June after doing renovations on our house near Chenerailles for over 2 years. We have an old Beetle 1968. Does she come under your Classic title? Are Beetles allowed?

Alma
Mar 2006
by Goose • Thu 15 Jun 2006 06:29

Hi Alma, Yes indeed! At that age it's a classic! I believe there is one other beetle in the club as well. Do contact us and we'll be pleased to meet you when you come down. Chenerailles is only about ten minutes or so from where we live. If you want to PM me I'll give you our telephone number etc and we can swap addresses and give you the car club info etc. Goose

Goose
Mar 2005
by Alma • Thu 10 Aug 2006 02:56

Hello there, I have finally managed to sort out my e-mail here in Ecurat. Good to hear we can bring our Beetle.

Alma
Mar 2006
by pas_and_han • Sat 23 Feb 2008 19:09

Hi there,

We will be bringing over our Capri over next month and would be interested to know if this is regarded as a classic or not.

Although she needs a little work cosmetically, we would like to join in the fun. Ours is a black 2.8i (1984). I was wondering if there are any other Capri owners in the club as this may be an indication of how popular the car is over in France.

pas_and_han
Aug 2007
by Goose • Mon 25 Feb 2008 09:00

Hi pas & han,

You can certainly join the club. The site is: www.automoto23.com (ACVE) and from home page, click on " Voitures" underneath the "Galeries" heading. You will then see the letters of the alphabet along the top of the page. Click on F (Ford!) and that will show the Fords in the club which include one Capri. If you click on M you will see our red MGB V8 that we sold last September and then if you click on T you will see our Triumph/Moss (!!) that we bought later last year and has been hubby's winter project. (a Triumph Herald chassis with a 2 litre engine and a Moss body) He has restored a lot of it but she is still scruffy as we can't get the right shade of the correct paint to cover where he had to fill in holes because the previous owner had put the wrong type of light fittings on her. (will try on our once a year visit to the UK in May) However, we have at last got her accepted as a vehicle of collection and last week we got her carte grise and we are just waiting for her black plates to arrive (had to order them as not many places keep them in stock now.)

It tells you on the site how to join but an easier route may be via our neighbour who is the president of the club, though he is "retiring" from that position at the end of this year. He has four classics - two Matras, a 2CV petit camion (van) and Peugeot 306 convertible and he is apparently in the throes of buying a Peugeot Tornado (think that's the name - Hubby would know but he's out).

Our Spring run is on 9 March - an afternoon run in the area of Dun le Palestel plus looking at various classics on display there. Look on the "Agenda" and there are various events for this year.

I used to have a yellow 1972 Ford Capri OHC with black vinyl roof - that was in 1975!

Goose

PS: If you want our e-mail address, PM me.

Goose
Mar 2005
by beetle • Sun 02 Mar 2008 21:06

We have a 1972 VW camper van, which after a spot of welding respraying etc will most likely be relocated to France, but here lies a black hole in my knowledge :oops: . After three months France the vehicle must be re registered with the french authorities,OK. But what is the proceedure regarding MOT's what is it called, where do you go to get one,how often and how much do they cost. How stringent are they,do you have to change headlamps to lefthand drive configuration and what is their approach to weld repairs. Are there insurance policies available for classic cars.
What do you know, or have experienced? Please enlighten me! :?

beetle
Dec 2007
by Goose • Mon 03 Mar 2008 07:35

Hi Beetle,

Notify DVLA that the vehicle is permanently exported to France by tear-off slip at bottom of V5.

You will need to get a partial certificate of conformity from VW to re-register it and as long as you do, it will register as a normal vehicle here..
You will need a certificate stating that there is no import tax to pay (obtained from the tax office in Guéret).

The MOT is a Controle Technique here and it is necessary every two years on an ordinary car(not as strict as the UK but takes 3/4 hour) and if it will pass the MOT it will pass the CT. They are carried out at independent test centres, not garages, and they do not do repairs. Our club uses Veritas in Guéret for the discount.

You will neeed to change the head lights. Cost of CT is approx 64 (or 68 now ??) euros but if you join our club, members get it for 44 euros for each of their cars whether club cars or not. There are a couple of French chaps in the club who run VW camper vans - see the site details that we have previously given.

There are classic car policies from many companies - Axa. Groupama etc. and if you buy a copy of La Vie de l'Auto (LVA) paper there are many insurance companies advertised on there.

If you are unable to obtain the partial certificate, it is eligible re its age to be registered as a vehicle of collection. You need to download from the FFVE site the necessary forms. There are a few restrictions re out of departement use that are due to be lifted in 2009. It just means you need to send in a tear-off slip from a book that you are issued with to indicate that you are travelling further than a neighbouring departement. This is no big deal - we have done this. The CT then is only done every five years after the first one (re the new 2009 rules).

The usual things in France apply. You will need proof residency, proof of your identity and we recommend that you photocopy everything before you go! We have registered two cars as classics on the vehicle of collection route, one a modified MGB Roadster with a V8 engine and also a kit car (Moss on a Triumph chassis) with no problems.

Hope this helps. Goose

Goose
Mar 2005
by beetle • Tue 04 Mar 2008 22:33

Hi Goose
Thanks very much for that information. It is never mentioned in any book I have read about relocating to France.
Another question though; can you buy breakdown cover for a classic, not to say that my vehicle breaks down, but when ever going abroad in it the AA insist on a full MOT test carried out just prior to departure if we are to be granted 'Five Star' cover.
This leads to another question: in the event of a breakdown and you are not covered (this also applies to any vehicle) what can happen next and what costs are you likely to incure?

If you never find what you seek, you never wanted it badly enough in the first place.
beetle
Dec 2007
by Goose • Wed 05 Mar 2008 07:34

Hi Beetle, Separate car breakdown cover does not exist here - it is included in your car insurance as "Assistance". You need to ask when you obtain insurance quotes as some "Assistance" will only start when you are 25/30 kms from your home and others start from your home address. You do need it! Because France is such a huge country, there are big distances involved in going almost anywhere so the cost of arranging with a garage for the breakdown truck and transportation is huge. Eg our nearest small town is 6.6kms but our nearest larger town where we do our "big shop" is 25kms so if you are going on a jaunt or to visit friends, you'll be covering the kms much more than you would normally in the UK.

Goose

Goose
Mar 2005
by beetle • Sun 09 Mar 2008 11:27

Thanks very much for your advice, must get rid of the small island approach to life, where everything seams close to hand and you are spoilt for choice.
I wonder how you and others became interested in classic cars?
For myself it started with a barn find,complete with straw and chickens. The chrome was green, running boards were hanging off,ply floorboards shot, wood sills rotten, but it was just the ticket for me. With a bit of help it even started. Three years later (I lost heart in the rebuild half way through) it was back on the road. Why it had not caught fire the first time we stared it in the barn, I do not know. You could crumble the electric wire insulation with your finger tips.
Now I found out what it was like to drive with the windscreen folded flat and why you had to lean out over the door when cornering fast (steering box play,but to spec) Also what skill was needed to operate the windscreen wiper by hand whilst driving in the pouring rain (The wiper motor had an annoying habit of stopping when the conditions got too bad). I had many adventures in that car, even driving up one side of the country (Scotch Corner) and down the other on one summer night, well why not, it seamed a good idea at the time. I was not alone it was a rag taggle mixture of vehicles, we all made it even if the Aero Morgan was a bit troublesome.
Oh yes my car was a 1947 MG TC.

beetle
Dec 2007
by thebiglad • Sun 09 Mar 2008 12:27

Hi Goose
Thanks very much for that information. It is never mentioned in any book I have read about relocating to France.
Another question though; can you buy breakdown cover for a classic, not to say that my vehicle breaks down, but when ever going abroad in it the AA insist on a full MOT test carried out just prior to departure if we are to be granted 'Five Star' cover.
This leads to another question: in the event of a breakdown and you are not covered (this also applies to any vehicle) what can happen next and what costs are you likely to incure?
beetle
I don't know for sure if this applies to French Classic Car policies, but for ordinary car French insurance you always get assistance included as standard.

We have had occasion to use this facillity twice and it worked really well. You are given a number to call, telephone in the case of a breakdown, quote your policy number and help will arrive. They either fix on the spot or tow home.

Be aware that there is often a kilometrage clause along the lines of "must be more than (for example)30 kms from home before it's free. We negotiated and got ours changed to 0 kms !!

The important meassage I would offer is that in our experience, the Assitance works REALLY well !!

Blissfully happy in France.
thebiglad
Apr 2007
by rachie • Sun 22 Mar 2009 23:02

hi! newcomer here! i have a 1935 morris 10/4 (lovely) and a wolseley 6/80 (not lovely ever since pin head from the village went up the back of it!) not sure i'd have the guts to drive horace (the morris) from south wales to la creuse but you never know...i've had the guts (or sheer stupidity)to buy myself the most fab house in les frais, near dun le palestel..and the blokes from the local classic car club were SO impressed by the way i opened the bonnet for engine inspection, they said i looked a natural..not sure which bit they were inspecting at the time! but i sure showed them when i demonstrated my water pump and heater..! Rachie

rachie
Mar 2009
by lestroisours • Fri 07 Aug 2009 08:18

After a brief and worthwhile search we have purchased a 1973 Morris Mini that is in need of restoration. Naturally we shall do the work ourselves, having accomplished two mini resto's in the UK.

We have stripped it down, listed the parts necessary, visited the mini shop in Wiltshire and returned, ready for a project that will probably take around 9 months.

With the lifting of the the restrictions of the travel of classic cars in October next, we are hoping to obtain a chrome on black number for Creuse, to replace the "63" plate it had originally.

anne_minnie.jpg

lestroisours
Oct 2007
by ihusker • Fri 07 Aug 2009 12:08

Goose may be interested in looking at the triumph/moss on ebay uk at the moment. there are a few photos

ihusker
Feb 2006
by Goose • Thu 13 Aug 2009 10:38

Hi, thanks for that ihusker, We had a look and mentioned it to a French member of the club who seemed quite interested as at that point the price was still pretty low. Haven't had time to look since or hear if he did anything about it. The French members are always amazed at the low price of cars in the UK !

Goose

Goose
Mar 2005
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions