Engrenages/Spiral & Other French/European Films On DVD
by smilespwp • Fri 14 Nov 2014 09:16

Anyone else hooked on the French TV Series "Engrenages" (UK title is "Spiral"). I've been a fan of this French detective series for a couple of years now and just watched the final episodes of Season 4. Being a lover of French TV/film drama and comedy, I can honestly say I've enjoyed this intensely. Just found out that Season 5 is due out and that they may also be making another couple of Seasons to follow.

Which, if any French or European, TV/films have you enjoyed ? the Danish "Borgen" is one I couldn't resist and may also be back on. The Swedish "Wallander" dramas are usually quite gripping, although the Kenneth Branagh episodes are not as good as the originals.

Caught part of a weird French comedy the other night on Channel 4 "Micmacs" and got well into it, so much that I've ordered the DVD so I can catch up on the first half that I missed.

I find continental films generally far superior to the usual American "pap" we are all subjected to, and admire countries that support their own film industries.

What are your favourites or recommendations ?

Best regards

Brian
smilespwp
Apr 2007
Re: Engrenages/Spiral & Other French/European Films On DVD
by smilespwp • Sun 16 Nov 2014 08:20

Well, ordering the "Micmacs" DVD was well worth it. Received it in a couple of days and watched it last night. If you think you would enjoy watching a film featuring a cast of zany misfits, banding together to help the main character fight two rival armaments moguls, then this is worth a watch.

Improbable characters and a story that is feasible, and is funny to boot.

Depends on your sense of humour, but would suit anyone who enjoys Monty Python, Wallace & Grommit and similar.

Recommended.

Best regards

Brian
smilespwp
Apr 2007
by edmoraz • Sun 16 Nov 2014 09:51

We loved " The Bridge" , I believe they are making another series, can't wait.

edmoraz
Feb 2008
by smilespwp • Mon 17 Nov 2014 09:49

Must have missed that one, looks as though it might be one I would enjoy.

My next French one is another by the same director as MicMacs and Amelie, entitled "Delicatessen". I'm saving it for a period when I will not be disturbed.

One advantage of having a memory like mine is that I can see a film, enjoy it and a few months later not remember much about it. I can then enjoy it again.

Currently recording all episodes of "The Missing" on TV. When I have them all (8 episodes), I'll have a weekend when I can watch it all. Probably back in France.

Best regards

Brian
smilespwp
Apr 2007
by Dave • Wed 19 Nov 2014 13:35

I enjoyed both series of The Bridge and look forward to the third (if it is made). I also enjoyed the first series of Les Revenants (The Returned) although it seems to loose the plot (in a typical French drama way) towards the end so not sure if I'll bother with series 2.

If you like the zany / silly French comedy the Taxi series of films might be worth a watch. Not classic cinema, but pretty lightweight fun stuff (don't bother with the American remake because it's no where near as good).

The Intouchables is excellent and well worth watching.

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by smilespwp • Sun 11 Jan 2015 16:02

Latest season of Spiral started last night on BBC 4 at 9.00pm. As usual, they are broadcasting two parts back to back each evening (12 parts to the series). Looks to be as promising as the earlier seasons.

Best regards

Brian
smilespwp
Apr 2007
by David_J • Tue 13 Jan 2015 11:16

I also like 'Legacy'. Can't remember the foreign title but one of the characters is the spitting image of 'Max Headroom' from years ago.

David_J
Aug 2006
by virtdave • Tue 13 Jan 2015 12:25

Since we've been back in the USA (as of early November) we've been streaming video over our TV with Netflix. Until that time, we'd subscribed to their video-disk-by-mail service (Blu-Ray and/or DVD disks, depending on the movie title) which we still do, a bit, but the streaming works better. We just finished streaming the first two seasons of Orange is the New Black, a high-powered and rather chilling drama series about womens' prison. Although there is a French version of Netflix for streaming purposes, apparently its selection is pretty small due to copyright issues; I just read that there is a way of accessing the USA version, using a VPN...you can look here for details. And this site proposes one way of setting up the necessary VPN for the process. We will likely do this when we're back in Creuse next spring, and if anyone does do it sooner, I would like to know how well it works. There is a monthly fee for Netflix, and another monthly fee for connection via the VPN.
Navigating Netflix on your TV from the splashscreen takes a bit of getting used to, but really is straightforward. One is given numerous choices of shows one might be interested in, but it's much easier to browse titles via Netflix' website and add those you want to watch to "My List" in that site. "My List" will then include these when you turn on Netflix on your TV, and you can choose from there among the titles you've placed there....one nifty option is the ability to include subtitles--this was particularly useful when watching 'Orange is the New Black', since it includes a certain amount of Mexican, Black and obscure prison patois. Also, when you interrupt watching, when restarting you are offered the option of restarting where you left off (or to a previous episode in the serial if you're confused about the somewhat complicated plot). We're now watching another show, 'Killer", also pretty gripping, which was filmed in Seattle, where I grew up, and it's quite evocative of what non-stop rain for 8 months per year is like. As well as being a rather convincing cop drama.

virtdave
Sep 2008
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions