Pont Noir

Live Life in Creuse

Car insurance
by dissid32 • Tue 04 Feb 2014 18:06
A friend of mine may want me to drive her car for a trip to Paris. She has told me that, unlike in the UK where normally one has to be added to the car owner's insurance, in France that isn't necessary. Does anybody know whether this true?
Patrick
dissid32
Feb 2006
Re: Car insurance
by kowalczy • Tue 04 Feb 2014 19:02
As I understand it, it is the car that carries the insurance, not the driver.
kowalczy
Feb 2013
by virtdave • Wed 05 Feb 2014 03:00
I'd check with the insurer, just to be sure. I seem to recall adding my daughter and son-in-law to my policy explicitly...
virtdave
Sep 2008
by David_J • Wed 05 Feb 2014 09:54
I believe the car is insured not the policyholder. If you read your policy documents you will find a section on Franchises and find the excess you pay in a claim varies according to the driver's status.

While on, I have long believed that the green insurance sticker on the windscreen is a cracking idea and that it is a pity that other countries do not adopt something similar. OK, in itself it probably does not reduce the number of un-insured drivers but putting a 'dodgy' green sticker on your windscreen would add fraud to the offence and possibly makes some people think twice.
David_J
Aug 2006
by pimpmyride • Tue 11 Feb 2014 10:11
It still better to check. I know technically, the insurance covers the car but I know you have to add someone to the policy for them to be able to drive the car, something like a non-owner car insurance or driver insurance.
pimpmyride
Feb 2014
by Dave • Tue 11 Feb 2014 10:21
Also, by default most policies don't cover drivers under 25.
Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by virtdave • Tue 11 Feb 2014 16:25
putting a 'dodgy' green sticker on your windscreen would add fraud to the offence and possibly makes some people think twice.
David_J
I'm sure you can find fake stickers on the market. In Italy, one can buy T-shirts with a fake seat-belt silkscreened across the chest. But if one got controllé and the sticker (or the seatbelt) discovered to be bogus, I think the authorities would not be amused.
virtdave
Sep 2008
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions