a view from the USA...well, from California
by virtdave • Mon 05 Nov 2012 01:16

We returned to California just in time to vote in a couple of days. There seems to be a concerted effort by the Republicans to make voting difficult. It's embarrassing that the USA is so far behind most other democracies with respect to ease of voting. Obama will probably prevail, but it's close enough that the right-wing supreme court may have the opportunity to steal it...they've had some practice at this.

virtdave
Sep 2008
Re: a view from the USA...well, from California
by Dave • Mon 05 Nov 2012 10:12

Doesn't the guy with the most campaign money always win? Capitalism in action. ;)

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by virtdave • Tue 06 Nov 2012 10:25

Doesn't the guy with the most campaign money always win? Capitalism in action. ;)
Dave
I am shocked, SHOCKED that anyone could assume that. In some sense, that's what this election is about. There's an underlying AynRandian current in USA politics, and in the 2008 election Obama did collect and spend more than his opponent, Cain. But if Obama does win the current election, it won't be because he garnered more money for the campaign. The '1%', i.e., the 1% of folks in the USA with 40% of the wealth have a petulant sense of entitlement, and have massively contributed to Romney's coffers. But most unbiased pollsters are predicting an Obama win.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by Dave • Tue 06 Nov 2012 13:11

Historically, the candidate who raises the most money is likely to win, but both Clinton and Regan won with less money so it is possible. Personally I'm expecting a long drawn out "Bush re-election" type result, which would certainly favour Romney.

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by Annik • Tue 06 Nov 2012 16:31

I suppose they'll be "floating chads" this time...

Annik

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
by virtdave • Wed 07 Nov 2012 05:29

Although there are still some votes to be counted, Obama has won (2020h California time 6/11/2012). There will be many opinions as to why, but I think it's a long-needed rejection of religious extremism in the USA.
Now for the tricky part (apologies to John Cleese--in Fawlty Towers, "The Anniversary", if this seems obscure).

virtdave
Sep 2008
by lestroisours • Wed 07 Nov 2012 07:13

A good result - Religious furvour would have been disastrous. When in the states, I met up with a fellow radio ham in a fast food chain restaurant for lunch. He insisted on saying a "few words" before we ate. A bit presumptuous, if I might say. It gave me the shivers to be frank. One does not have to be religious to have "christian" values. Obama has the right touch, it just needs to be believed in a few quarters.
Over in the UK a vote for Police and Crime Commissioners is about to take place for the first time to replace the police committees for each county. Never quite before has so much change been imposed with such limited publicity, without consultation, with so much apathy. It will mean the police in the UK will be immediately face a spend of at least £350,000 per annum that does not go to policing budget but to the office of a public elected official. All my retired colleagues are talking of spoiled ballots, and limited public participation. It not like they're electing a sherrif - it's just never been done before. In Hampshire the choice is between a reasonable seemingly independent guy, a labour politician with a cloud over her head over a previous overspend by the police committee over land, a has-been aging conservative with suspect connections, and another independent and special constable, who knows nothing about policing. The chief Constable of Hampshire appears to have seen the light and is jumping ship. If anyone needs praying for its help for the UK. Policing in the old traditions has now set sail. At least over here in France we know where we stand.

lestroisours
Oct 2007
by Dave • Wed 07 Nov 2012 09:34

It's good that it was a clear cut result and that a more moderate, tolerant and inclusive candidate won. He seems less likely to bomb my house anyway, which is good.

The UK seems more and more like a police state every day, the assumption seemingly is that it you aren't actively tracked and videoed all the time, then you probably are up to no good. I can't see the commissioners wanting their police force to ever have less powers.

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by virtdave • Sun 11 Nov 2012 02:36

We are now, in the USA, watching a somewhat ghastly frenzy in the Republican party as they blame each other for their election losses. Probably their basic error was believing their own propaganda.
Obama and his team are faced with pretty awesome problems, some of which they may be able to, if not solve, at least ameliorate. But compared to four years ago, when the USA was deep into a terrible and unnecessary war in Iraq, and financial meltdown was a serious liklihood, it's probably no worse of a situation.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by lestroisours • Sun 11 Nov 2012 07:46

It is always a difficult concept when you try to believe that one man can make a difference. It has happened at least twice before with significant impact, one led a brutal regime that killed millions, and the other one was crucified by his own people but look at the result in spiritual belief levels. Let us hope that Obama can at least help but perhaps in a different way :) . It all rests on Congress really doesn't it?

Ultimately its the people. You can give a man a fish and he can eat for a day. Teach a man how to fish and he can eat for life. :tumbleweed:

“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.” ~ Charles Darwin
lestroisours
Oct 2007
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions