Re: Bed bugs
by araucaria • Fri 12 Oct 2012 12:18

Aoutats/harvestmites/chiggers: are nasty little b...ers. As somebody who attracts every biting insect within a kilometre, I have serious experience with these. On first encounter 7 or 8 years ago, I was clearing the side of our garden on the last day before returning to the UK and then spent the next day behind the wheel writhing all the way to Calais with over 3 dozen bites. Whatever you do, don't scratch because they will stay with you for at least 2 weeks. They can still be enflamed several days later so it helps to avoid any chafing from your clothes which can be difficult bbecause they tend to munch away under elastic and creases in the skin. I have found it essential in the garden to keep the grass cut very, very short. Wellies will help but merely tucking trousers into socks won't. If using deet, spray self and clothes at least upto knees and arms and neck. Sulphur powder on shoes is another deterrent. They tend to congregate in patches and if you can work out where they are, a spray of xylophene in dry weather but not in full sun can eradicate them but that is an extreme remedy. The pharmacist is on the right track but bathing before bedtime is shutting the stable when the horse has already bolted. Immediately you come out of the garden and indeed while you are there, rub yourself over which breaks their little legs - roll your socks down and rub down - then dump all your clothes and shower rubbing all over with soap - don't wait until bedtime.
The French cream I use to soothe bites is Onctose and every chemist seems to stock it.

araucaria
Jun 2005
by Siptea • Fri 12 Oct 2012 15:38

The problem also for us is that we have 4 cats, and they stay fairly close but they do go in the bushes and foliage in the front yard and neighboring areas. I don't know how to keep the cats from bringing the chiggers in.

I am definitely going to stick with this other pharmacist, she seems to be more in touch with the local pests.

Not only did I not tuck my pants into my boots in the summer, I ran around in the yard in shorts and sandals!

Barbi

Siptea
Jul 2010
by Annik • Fri 12 Oct 2012 22:28

Yes, the pharmacist in our nearest town has a very poor reputation; I have rarely used her but in my recent illness we went to her because she was the nearest and she gave me the wrong drugs. The district nurse had to go back and change them.

I would always go to the one at Gouzon if I had the choice.

Annik

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
by Siptea • Sat 13 Oct 2012 10:06

Annik can you please PM me and let me know which pharmacist you had a bad experience with? Given where we live there is a choice of 2 towns and I'd like to avoid one that made such a serious error with you. That is inexcusable.

Thanks

Barbi

Yes, the pharmacist in our nearest town has a very poor reputation; I have rarely used her but in my recent illness we went to her because she was the nearest and she gave me the wrong drugs. The district nurse had to go back and change them.

I would always go to the one at Gouzon if I had the choice.

Annik
Annik

Siptea
Jul 2010
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions