Bed bugs
by Siptea • Sun 30 Sep 2012 20:17

Not sure what section to post this in, but recently we have been having a problem with bedbugs biting us each night. It started a few months ago when we changed bedrooms to the one we had recently decorated.

We've vacuumed and changed the bedding, etc. but it has not helped at all. I'd like to avoid having to get a new mattress (expensive $$) and also because they were apparently in the room and will only return. Has anyone else had this problem and how did you solve it?

Thanks

Barbi

Siptea
Jul 2010
Re: Bed bugs
by Annik • Mon 01 Oct 2012 00:26

My goodness, what a horrible thought!

Could it be anything to do with your cats having been in the room while it wasn't being used? When we got married in 1969, aged 21 and 24, we were too poor to have a honeymoon and lived for the first three months of our marriage in a borrowed flat where the kind owner had had a cat. Everyone laughed when we shame-facedly had our newly-married bliss ruined by itchy spots.

"You're allergic to one another," said our friends... "Ho, ho, ho!"

But it was starving fleas from the long-gone cat, which had taken up residence in our bed, that were the problem. One morning we saw one hopping about the sheet; later that day we clobbered them with insecticide and proclaimed to everyone that we were definitely not allergic to one another. That has held true for the last 43 years of happy marriage.

Annik

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
by lestroisours • Mon 01 Oct 2012 08:10

I think its fleas too! We had a similar problem this year, with fleas being rampant. Despite combing the cats every night, we always missed one or two, so we got a can of household flea killer and sprayed everything. That took care of the problem. The product kills even hatching larvae from deposited eggs after one month. Cured and no more night time bites.

Before anyone suggests spot on for the cats, we have used the products, and fleas return within hours, and appear to be immune or resistant. Combing cats and dunking fleas in boiling water is quite therapeutic, 1..2..3..4..and another one.....Fortunately the cooler weather helps to keep them to a minimum. The cats were flea-free on our recent caravan holiday, but since mousing on their return, the flea comb is again in use.

“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.” ~ Charles Darwin
lestroisours
Oct 2007
by Siptea • Mon 01 Oct 2012 09:43

I have been to a dermatologist and the bites were determined to be bed bugs. They are also in the places where bed bugs bite - back of the knees, for example. The cats have never been in that room, we do not allow them in the bedroom.

Does anyone know of a product that I can purchase here that kills bed bugs?

Thanks

Barbi

Siptea
Jul 2010
by ayerzee • Tue 02 Oct 2012 13:11

My daughter had the same problem a couple of years ago in her student digs.

Her landlord supplied a new matress but the sheets/bedding were washed a couple of times on the hottest wash possible and more importantly were dried in a tumble drier for along time so they reached a high temperature.

My daughter is out at the moment but will ask if there was any other treatment and will add another comment later if necessary.

Sleep tight, don't let the (you know the rest)

ayerzee
Sep 2007
by Siptea • Tue 02 Oct 2012 13:26

Thank you, maybe she has some good tips. We don't have a dryer but I did wash the sheets on hot setting.

Barbi

My daughter had the same problem a couple of years ago in her student digs.

Her landlord supplied a new matress but the sheets/bedding were washed a couple of times on the hottest wash possible and more importantly were dried in a tumble drier for along time so they reached a high temperature.

My daughter is out at the moment but will ask if there was any other treatment and will add another comment later if necessary.

Sleep tight, don't let the (you know the rest)
Said ayerzee

Siptea
Jul 2010
by thetransporter • Tue 02 Oct 2012 15:37

Some friends of ours in England used to put their (cleaned) bedding in black bin liners & place them in the freezer for 48 hours to kill fleas and other mites that they had problems with - hot washes and sprays hadn't worked for them - but the freezing technique did the trick !
Perhaps not the best solution, but worth a try.

thetransporter
Jan 2008
by dissid32 • Tue 02 Oct 2012 21:08

I had a look at what it says on an ordinary can of fly/insect spray, and it claims to kill cockroaches, so maybe it would kill bedbugs. Have you tried it? Another suggestion is: ask at the pharmacy. You can't be an isolated case, I wouldn't have thought, so what do french people do about them. Punaises, by the way, in case you didn't already know.
Good luck! It can't be very nice going to bed with the thought that you might get bitten.

Patrick
dissid32
Feb 2006
by virtdave • Tue 02 Oct 2012 22:12

we had a problem with some bug or other biting us at nite, never were really sure what it was--but the pharmacist sold us a bugbomb which we set off in the bedroom. then closed the door and left the house for 8 hours. It worked.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by Jeanne • Wed 03 Oct 2012 06:54

There is a product that is used for the house that you can get either from the vets or the phamacy. Its for killing fleas/eggs and is very effective, begins wih S but I can't remember the name, not the cheapest as its about 23 Euros for a small spray but it does do the job. Once round the room in all the nooks and crannies and everywhere and in a couple of days its gone.

Is it definitely at night you are getting bit? Me, and only me, has bites, really nasty ones, always on my legs, ankles, etc and I think these have come from harvest mites which you can't seem to see. They usually appear after I have been in the garden, even if only for a couple of mins.

Hope everyone's suggestions work for you.

Jeanne
Jun 2010
by virtdave • Wed 03 Oct 2012 10:05

I remembered the name of the bugbomb I mentioned earlier--it's Tiquanis Habitat.
Jeanne, if the bites you describe are extremely itchy, and last for several days, it may be aoûtats, which in the USA are called chiggers. We usually do get them here in August (as the name would indicate) or in September, tho there have been rather fewer this year. There's rather a lot of folklore about them, including dabbing the itchy bite with nail polish to smother the bug, which is thought to breathe via its entry site....but this may be just wishful thinking. We've found the best approach is prevention, i.e., don't go into the field/garden in late summer without boots or stockings, and spray the lower pants/socks with insect repellent. That does seem to work pretty well.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by Siptea • Wed 03 Oct 2012 10:39

Thank you so much, it helps to have a name of something to look for, I'll ask the pharmacist and also check the bricolage. I read online that you should bomb the place and also spritz with the spray like Jeanne said.

Barbi

I remembered the name of the bugbomb I mentioned earlier--it's Tiquanis Habitat.
Jeanne, if the bites you describe are extremely itchy, and last for several days, it may be aoûtats, which in the USA are called chiggers. We usually do get them here in August (as the name would indicate) or in September, tho there have been rather fewer this year. There's rather a lot of folklore about them, including dabbing the itchy bite with nail polish to smother the bug, which is thought to breathe via its entry site....but this may be just wishful thinking. We've found the best approach is prevention, i.e., don't go into the field/garden in late summer without boots or stockings, and spray the lower pants/socks with insect repellent. That does seem to work pretty well.
Said virtdave

Siptea
Jul 2010
by Siptea • Thu 04 Oct 2012 13:03

The flea bomb is going off right now in the bedroom. It is not possible for us to leave the house, though, because Joost has deadlines. We are in the office with the window open. I'm nervous if this is safe or not but we have no choice.

We put the kitties in the kitchen and the front door is open so they should be okay.

Barbi

Siptea
Jul 2010
by Jeanne • Thu 04 Oct 2012 15:29

Yes the Tiquanis is the stuff its brilliant. Not sure why I thought it started with s but it was very early.

This is the first year I have had bites like this. One actually went in to a huge bruise. I never have my legs or ankles exposed when in the garden but I suppose I will have to wear wellies which I don't like. I will try the insect repellent but even that is a bit of a nuisance if I just want to go out and check on veggies; better than bites though but I always seem to be in a rush. Too much to do :) Thanks.

Jeanne
Jun 2010
by Siptea • Thu 11 Oct 2012 10:55

We did the bug bomb a week ago. The first 2 days, I only had one bite per night, I thought it killed most of them. Then it increased to 2-3 bites per night on each of us, and last night I had 5 new bites. My best guess is that eggs might have hatched afterwards.

We spray, vacuum, even bought a dryer to heat the linens as that's supposed to kill them. I can't sleep at night due to the stress and the extreme itching. I am mentally and physically drained and not sure what to try next.

Barbi

Siptea
Jul 2010
by virtdave • Thu 11 Oct 2012 15:50

If the bomb worked for a bit, your theory on new hatching sounds reasonable, in which case using a bomb again might get the new ones before they mature. Bon courage....

virtdave
Sep 2008
by Pamski • Thu 11 Oct 2012 17:17

If they are bed bugs you will see them - they're flat and brownish and hide along the mattress seams during the day. We picked some up several years ago from the Campanile hotel at Chateauroux on our way home and it ended up costing a fortune before we finally got rid of them. We had to buy a new mattress & bedding, rip up the bedroom carpet and replace it with wooden flooring,get new curtains, gradually inspect and wash all our clothes, put books into which they'd crawled, into the freezer and finally get the local council to fumigate the house. The only products we found to buy, which were online (in the UK) said not to use on the bed. Bon courage!

Pamski
Sep 2011
by virtdave • Thu 11 Oct 2012 18:43

Pamski is quite correct....tho when we had bites like Siptea describes I don't think it was bedbugs (tho I'm pretty sure we did pick them up in a hotel), we never did find out what....and it did respond to the bugbomb...

virtdave
Sep 2008
by Siptea • Thu 11 Oct 2012 19:00

I have an update. I went to a pharmacist in another town and showed her my bites. She said that they are not bed bugs, they are in fact, chiggers. So every time we walked out into our front yard, we were just bringing them right back in. And they were hanging out in our clothes and bed. And of course the cats will keep bringing them in.

This nice pharmacist gave me a cream which repels them, and told me we have to take a hot bath before bed and don't take clothes into the bedroom unless they have been washed very hot. What a relief. I was so scared as bed bugs are almost impossible to get rid of as the poster above said.

Barbi

Chiggers hibernate in the winter so soon they will be gone anyway.

Siptea
Jul 2010
by Annik • Thu 11 Oct 2012 19:43

I have just looked them up and found that the more familiar name as far as we Brits go is "harvest mites". They are apparently profuse this year because of the long period of hot dry weather.

I looked at the Google images of them and their bites and am not surprised that you thought you had a skin problem rather than a bites problem. The spots look a bit like eczema to the untutored eye.

I do hope the cream works quickly.

Annik

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions