New Breathalyser Law
by beetle • Fri 29 Jun 2012 20:35

:no:

1st July 2012 all vehicles travelling in France must carry an NF approved alcohol breathalyser, well two actually. A link below which is also a link to a BBC interview that explains it all much better than I can:-

Alco Sense (BBC Interview)

If you never find what you seek, you never wanted it badly enough in the first place.
beetle
Dec 2007
Re: New Law 01.07.2012 - Breathalyser
by adz8192 • Fri 29 Jun 2012 21:26

has anyone actually managed to buy any of these. We have tried everywhere in Dun Le Palestel, Aigurande and a few other places but no one seems to sell them

adz8192
Aug 2009
by Annik • Sat 30 Jun 2012 00:40

We bought a box containing two at Carrefour Market in Gouzon in April, but they sold out very quickly and I haven't seen any for ages. They were in the wine department, hanging off a display, rather than being on any shelves.

Annik

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
by lestroisours • Sat 30 Jun 2012 08:27

This was first brought to notice on this forum by Maryr in February, before it hit the statue books. I quite frankly couldn't believe such a stupid bit of legislation could do so, but then I found the statute had made it in March. 8O
There was certainly nothing in the supermarkets in Creuse at that time, despite reports from elsewhere in the country that they were. Not having seen them, I found that Halfords in the UK had sourced a supply of NF marked devices (2 in a box), so I got them whilst on a short visit. More expensive mind, typical rip off Britain.
They should be available on Outillage St Etienne trucks if one is in your vicinity. We had their booklet through this week in the publicité, and they are not expensive.

It just makes me seeth :x that yet again the motorist is penalised for carrying something unneccesary in the car that has a limited shelf life. :cry: I and my former colleagues of the police who are living in France are truly amazed at the mentality of this non-sensical legislation.

If you drink, don't drive. :no: If you drive, let the gendarmerie supply their own tubes or kit to test you, which they will.

lestroisours
Oct 2007
by virtdave • Sat 30 Jun 2012 10:07

I assume the legislators responsible for this law had the foresight to buy lots of stock in the companies which produce these ridiculous devices.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by lestroisours • Sat 30 Jun 2012 10:49

I can only surmise that there might have been a certain amount of lobbying. For it to be a matter of securité routière, I don't think so! It can only happen in France. Although I am still amazed that in the USA more tech is not employed to surplant the so-called sobriety test used in some places.

lestroisours
Oct 2007
by dissid32 • Sat 30 Jun 2012 11:33

I got a couple in Leclerc, Gueret. I seem to remember 95 centimes each, but I could be wrong.

Patrick
dissid32
Feb 2006
by Annik • Sat 30 Jun 2012 19:14

Of course, they have a "Use by" date, so presumably it's an offence to carry one that is out-of-date. What a racket!

Annik

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
by Jeanne • Sat 30 Jun 2012 23:32

They did have some in Leader Price in Gueret.

There was an article in the news which said that the company in France that manufactures these tests was going broke until this was brought in, and of course, has now taken on more staff and is doing very nicely, thank you very much, so there are some suspicions of the reasons.

I believe there is just an 11 Euro fine until 1st November in order for the companies to manufacture the millions that they need.

Jeanne
Jun 2010
by Ann-et-Steve • Sun 01 Jul 2012 11:48

Hi,

There are suppliers of these kits on ebay (UK), at approx. £5.00 for a box of 2, plus postage. They will also post to France. Try ebay.fr, there maybe some suppliers on that site.

Regards,

Steve.

Ann-et-Steve
Mar 2008
by Dave • Sun 01 Jul 2012 12:07

At €0.99 I suppose I will buy one, but for now I think I'll take my chance and not bother and risk a fine. On average I am stopped about once a year for a breath test or for my papers. I never get asked to show my yellow vest / triangle / extinguisher etc so my expectation is that I won't be asked to show these units either. I doubt it will be enforced any more than the law that says motorcycle helmets must have reflective dots on the side and back. Ever seen anyone with those? And they are all about being visible and not hard to check.

It's just another tax on speeding (That's a €90 fine for speeding and another €11 for not having the test kits, merci!).

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by dissid32 • Mon 02 Jul 2012 09:16

I notice, Dave, that you included a fire extinguisher as a requirement. Then I seemed to remember something about spare bulbs and first-aid kits, so I looked at various sites to see if I could find a definitive list of legal requirements, but there seemed to be variations between one site and another. Do you know where I can find the exact legal requirements?

Patrick
dissid32
Feb 2006
by Dave • Mon 02 Jul 2012 09:59

Sorry, I don't have anything definitive. lestroisours may know something.

The AA have this chart which I would expect to be correct (it says you don't need an extinguisher in France - or in fact any of the twelve countries listed which was a surprise to me).

The RAC say it is recommended, here but not a must have.

IMO you should have it anyway.

And whilst you also don't have to have spare bulbs - when stopped for a broken bulb, you can avoid the on-the-spot fine if you can fit a new bulb right then (as I did once myself).

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by lestroisours • Mon 02 Jul 2012 15:40

No requirement for an extinguisher, but a welcome addition in case of.
However if you come across a vehicle beside or on the road, where there is an immediate requirment for emergency aid, then the obligation is to stop, check and offer aid, unless the occupants declare themselves competant, or say that help is already on the way. Evidence of failing to stop in such circustances can render the would-be fail to stoppee to a fine, almost as serious as failing to stop for an accident in the first place.

Interesting to note that if a Police officer (from Guéret say) should come across an accident outside the town, then he will stop, tender first aid, offer comfort, and control traffic until the arrival of a gendarme who will deal with the accident. If a Gendarme comes across an accident in the town, he will stop, render first aid, offer comfort, and control traffic until arrival of the police who will deal with the accident. The law is the same, but the competancy changes at the town limits. THey have the same powers, but that's where it ends.

lestroisours
Oct 2007
by beetle • Tue 03 Jul 2012 20:51

My breathalyser fresh off the shelf, expiry date 04/2014 and I know that date will come around pretty quick.
The chap who own's the motorist shop I bought it from said on his trip down to Portugal not a policeman to be seen, but coming back 'Smokies everywhere'- National emergency? no just checking. He reckon's the French police work on a dragnet processs.
So just pondering if you are stopped and I have seen a few of these, what do they expect from you there and then?
How long does a check take?
What if you are on a day trip to the beach and leave your passports at home?
What if you incur a fine - fat wallet, cheque, credit card?

If you never find what you seek, you never wanted it badly enough in the first place.
beetle
Dec 2007
by lestroisours • Tue 03 Jul 2012 21:16

Went to Guéret today, where there was a distinct absence of Alcootest in Carrefour and Norauto despite the questioning. The replies were given with typically french chagrin and shrug of shoulders, and hearty laughter. However I was told that they should be available in any tabac or bar. As I generally frequent neither if anyone has any experiences say when and where!

lestroisours
Oct 2007
by Martin • Thu 05 Jul 2012 10:37

I noticed on drive back to UK last week that the motorway services had boxes of them on the counter at 2 euro each.

Martin & Roberta
Martin
Jun 2009
by lestroisours • Thu 11 Oct 2012 15:11

Heh Heh! Due to the difficulties of obtaining the relevant devices, the enforcement will now not commence until March 1 2013. We wait with baited breath(alysers).

“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.” ~ Charles Darwin
lestroisours
Oct 2007
by virtdave • Thu 11 Oct 2012 15:55

Even at two centimes, this would be a ripoff. What a silly law. We're returning to savor the American variety of silliness soon, just in time to vote. I'll take the liberty here of threadjacking to note that the fact this election is even close is depressing.....luckily, we fly over the more retrograde states.

virtdave
Sep 2008
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions