Pont Noir

Live Life in Creuse

Book recommendation
by Tiddles • Sun 13 May 2012 15:24
I'm enjoying reading 'Heads above Water' by Stephanie Dagg on my Kindle at the moment. I recommend it!

To quote the author:

Heads Above Water is the story of our first couple of years as expats in France. And yes, there are lots of books about living in France out there already. But a lot of these are the short-term adventures of single people or retired couples or tourists. Moving abroad for good with a family, and without a pension, is a whole new ball game. That’s what makes Heads Above Water different. It’s about us, a family with three children, who stick the hardships out and make things start to work. It’s about actually making a living in a new country. It’s realistic, honest and gritty – but also fun, lively and very entertaining, and, I hope, ultimately inspiring.
Tiddles
Sep 2007
Re: Book recommendation
by TournesolKate • Mon 14 May 2012 14:00
That sounds good, but it's only available in Kindle edition on Amazon and I haven't got a Kindle :(
TournesolKate
Oct 2008
by Tiddles • Mon 14 May 2012 14:03
I think there is a way of downloading it to your computer and reading it on there, Kate:

Using Kindle for PC
Tiddles
Sep 2007
by TournesolKate • Sun 20 May 2012 09:41
No, I don't think I could cope with that. I am technophobic! Books are for reading and computers are for computing.
I did consider getting a Kindle a while ago, but there are very few English Kindle edition books on amazon.fr and you can only buy them on amazon.co.uk with an English bank account, which I haven't got. So it's books or nothing for me :)
TournesolKate
Oct 2008
by virtdave • Sun 20 May 2012 11:44
I did get a Nook, Barnes & Nobles' version of the Kindle, and it has a few nifty features--one can install most classical literature (e.g., Dickens, Conrad, Melville) for free. Here is an article on how to get such stuff. I've used Calibre, with excellent results, and here is a tutorial on how to use it. But my wife refuses to use the Nook, she is of the TournesolKate persuasion regarding literature. And like all computer-based toys, it can go all weird occasionally.
virtdave
Sep 2008
by TournesolKate • Mon 21 May 2012 11:43
I'm not totally against ereaders, I think they're an excellent idea, just not for me.
I did do some research on ereaders when I was considering getting one.
The Nook was only available in the US, Kindle (like I said) is available in France but with very few English titles. The Kobo looked to be the best choice for me, but was only available in the UK and US at the time.
So, I decided that fate had spoken and ereaders were not for me.
I see that the Kobo is now available in France, so maybe I'll think about it again in the future. For now though I've got a stack of new books waiting to be read on the shelf. :)
TournesolKate
Oct 2008
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions