Broken water meter or should I say frozen water meter
by edmoraz • Tue 03 Apr 2012 13:56

When we arrived this February we had the usual water disaster. This time it was our water meter, it had frozen and shattered. We went to the Mairie and he sent the fix it bloke round and he put a new one in over a cup of coffee. The end we thought until we got a bill for 150 euro. Has anyone else had this happen? the bloke said loads of meters had gone over the winter and I am sure all the locals arent paying 150euro.

metre.jpg

edmoraz
Feb 2008
Re: Broken water metre or should I say frozen water metre
by Dave • Tue 03 Apr 2012 14:33

You only have to pay if they think that you didn't do enough to keep it safe. i.e. you didn't put insulation around it. Our neighbour had one go in the same fashion but didn't have to pay because he had packed polystyrene all around the meter so the meter-fixer told him that it wasn't his fault. This was a couple of years ago so they may have decided to be more harsh this year due to the higher number of failures.

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by blaudeix • Tue 03 Apr 2012 18:11

I know someone who had the same thing happen, replacing it cost 200euro so you got off lightly

Minimum size for a septic tank (fosse septique) is 3000 litres. All installations must conform to DTU64.1 The S.P.A.N.C. technician will verify this. A principle piece is a room without water larger than 7 metres square.
blaudeix
Nov 2006
by pogo • Tue 03 Apr 2012 18:23

I am arranging replacement for a client, we have been told it will be 'about' €100. Pogo

pogo
Mar 2007
by pili-pala • Tue 03 Apr 2012 22:19

Hi,
Just when the cold weather came at the end of Jan this year I got an email from the water supplier here and it warned of meters freezing and what to do to prevent it happening. It also said that if it broke and not enough was done to keep it "safe" then the customer would be charged for a replacement or fixing it but there was no mention of the cost.
The email did spur us on to keep an eye on the meter and make sure it was ok.

Is it "la" or is it "le"?
pili-pala
Apr 2010
by edmoraz • Wed 04 Apr 2012 16:10

Well it looks like I am paying up. I did drain the system down but there must have been some water in the meter. Doubt if any amount of wrapping up would have saved it. Thanks for the advice everyone.

edmoraz
Feb 2008
Re: Broken water meter or should I say frozen water meter
by Frankie • Wed 04 Apr 2012 16:57

Ed tell them that you had it lagged, and drained and due to there valve leaking it filled up to the metre again.

Frankie
Jul 2010
by smilespwp • Wed 04 Apr 2012 17:39

I had the same a couple of years ago. Cost me €90 at the time and a further €70 because the difference between the two meter readings wasn't taken into account. I have managed to get the €70 back after a long protracted series of visits to the water people. Fortunately, I always take electric and water meter readings at the end of each visit and record them on my PC organiser. Did you get a note of both readings on old and new meters ?

The thing is that you also need to "PURGE" the water meter when draining down and switching off. (There is another thread on here about it). If you look at the water meter, you will find on the inlet side a tap which drains off the contents of the meter after you have shut off your water supply. I now do mine, even if I am leaving in summer, just in case I don't get back. Have a look at the meter carefully and you should see the purge tap.

Have a look at the images on this post showing the purge tap location

Might be advantageous if Dave could make a sticky and post it on one of the forums, although the format of Pont Noir doesn't really lend itself to sticky's in as much as unless one makes a point of visiting specific forums, it may never be seen.

Maybe we need a sticky forum or maybe a forum entitled "Read this if you want to save yourself some money!" Guaranteed to focus the attention of visitors.

Best regards

Brian
smilespwp
Apr 2007
by Dave • Thu 05 Apr 2012 18:29

For some reason our meter is at the bottom of a meter3 concrete pit (with lid) and this invariably has 50-70cm of water in it. The purge value isn't helpful in this case. In any case I've never seen ice on top of pit-water let alone worrying the meter. The only annoying thing is bailing out to read the meter.

WRT to sticky posts and alike -> changes are coming to the form this year. Recommendations for new forum ideas are always considered - post your ideas in the Help Desk and if other members support it (and it is practical to do so) then it has a good chance of being adopted.

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by fieldp • Thu 19 Apr 2012 18:26

Well, we're just back from our first visit this year and the water meter became a water feature as soon as we turned the tap. Its in the vaulted cave but obviously insufficiently insulated...
€160, but they did come at 9.30 after I reported it at 17.30 on arrival so I was impressed with the speed. Equally annoying was our Sky box which blew up after 45 mins watching!

Normandy, but heading for La Creuse!
fieldp
May 2009
by Siptea • Fri 20 Apr 2012 13:35

I guess I am glad now that we only have well water! That's awful.

Siptea
Jul 2010
by fieldp • Mon 23 Apr 2012 11:52

An interesting follow-up to my 19th April, the meter man quoted €160 but was not allowed to take cash and I didn't have my cheque book, so he said the water co would send an invoice to my UK address.
It turned up on Saturday in the sum of €110 (which I have paid, not queried!) so there's €50 towards the new Sky box!

Normandy, but heading for La Creuse!
fieldp
May 2009
by edmoraz • Tue 24 Apr 2012 10:24

That's not bad is it. I bet you're made up. I will pay mine when I am over in June. We have been paying 59 euro abonnement per year as no one ever read the meter. Can you read it yourself and talk the reading to the mairie, would it be cheaper?

edmoraz
Feb 2008
by Dave • Tue 24 Apr 2012 13:30

Yes, you can the the reading yourself and take it to the address on your water bill (which might not be your local Mairie). It will not be cheaper as the fixed charge will be the same plus you will be billed the next year for the water that you have used (at about 1.25€ a m3). If you haven't had it read in awhile then this might be quite a bit.

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by Lynn • Tue 24 Apr 2012 20:22

This morning we had a flooded kitchen.
We eventually discovered that it was because the water meter pit had filled up with water and it was coming in through the wall! We've never had a problem before, never even seen any water in the pit but it's clearly because of all the rain! Think we got off fairly lightly, thankfully.

Lynn
Apr 2008
by virtdave • Tue 24 Apr 2012 20:52

Do check that the water meter is not spinning when everything in the house is shut off--if it does, you may have a leak downstream from the meter, and be paying for the kitchen flood.

virtdave
Sep 2008
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions