Pont Noir

Live Life in Creuse

What will you or do you miss most about UK
by edmoraz • Wed 29 Feb 2012 09:43
Whilst sitting in the pub having lunch yesterday the OH asked me would I miss all this being on my doorstep which sparked a conversation as to the the things we would miss the most about the UK, a bit like desert island discs en France lol. We came up with best bitter (him not me), take aways and M&S food halls. What would you miss NOT what you wouldn't miss.
edmoraz
Feb 2008
Re: What will you or do you miss most about UK.
by Annik • Wed 29 Feb 2012 10:51
I would miss not understanding the subtleties of daily life. I can speak French well enough to understand what's happening but not to get the nuances of what is going on in the background. This applies to comprehending the news and politics as well as being au fait with local gossip etc.

I would miss the customer service; it really exists over here in the UK whereas in France the customer is often just a damned nuisance to be tolerated on the way to receiving a pay packet.

I would miss the beauty and variety of the British countryside and its heritage. I immerse myself in the French heritage and try to learn as much as I can about the country but there is so much to love in the UK, too. I have been doing the family history for years and feel deeply attached to various regions. (Though we have discovered that part of my husband's family were Normans who came over with and after William the Conqueror and that King Louis IV was an umpti-great-grandpa).

I love France but it would be silly to pretend to be French and to ignore my British roots.

Annik
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
Re: What will you or do you miss most about UK
by Jeanne • Wed 29 Feb 2012 17:34
The only thing I miss is a decent Indian restaurant. One that does really good quality food, not a "lets go after the pub and have a phall" type.

I know there is a good Thai restaurant but that is not really my favourite.
Jeanne
Jun 2010
by virtdave • Wed 29 Feb 2012 23:24
Indian cooking is fairly straightforward, if you have the necessary spices. There's a lot of chopping, like any vegetarian cuisine, tho of course Indian food does include all sorts of critter parts too, depending on the region and/or local religious persuasion I've heard there's an Asian grocery just behind the Cora, northeast edge of Limoges, which probably sells what one would need--I just bring them from California, since there's a sizable Indian quarter in the San Francisco East Bay. And there are zillions of recipes on-line which can be googled.
virtdave
Sep 2008
by Jeanne • Thu 01 Mar 2012 13:39
I don't have a problem in obtaining the spices. If you can't find them here there are plenty of places online. But I don't know anyone who can cook a curry as well as one you get in a good restaurant.

There are plenty of English cafes/bars here that do curry evenings but they are only the same as what you would cook yourself.

The only time I visited the UK I brought back a huge takeway in a chill box to enjoy. :)
Jeanne
Jun 2010
by Andre • Thu 08 Mar 2012 09:21
There are many things that I miss (not so much as to have me returning!) but there are probably only 2 things that get me;

- not understanding nuance of language (as Annik also mentioned) but also of culture, if that makes sense - I have days were I just don't 'get' France! These things do make me feel like a foreigner, and isolated in truth.

- access to pubs & restaurants. We live in the sticks so I could level this one at any rural area, UK or France, but there are times when we'd love just to walk to a local (pub or restaurant). Have to admit, we were spoilt in that respect in the UK.
Andre
Feb 2012
by Sevy • Thu 08 Mar 2012 18:10
For those who miss spicy food there is a great little Vietnamese/Chinese restaurant in Aubusson called La Rizière at 59 Grande Rue. For those who like food with chilli she serves a small amount of fresh chilli to add as you like. The food is freshly cooked in front of you as you enter the restaurant. Small and quirky place with interior waterfall and fish pond!
Sevy
Mar 2007
by TournesolKate • Sat 10 Mar 2012 17:44
I too miss Indian restaurants, I can cook a mean curry, but it's just not the same. Actually, takeaway services of any kind! I miss Curry, Chinese and Pizza being a mere phone call away. I also miss being able to call a taxi to take me home if I've had one too many on a night out. I know there are taxis here, but they cost a fortune and you generally have to book in advance.
I think that's it!
TournesolKate
Oct 2008
by David_J • Mon 12 Mar 2012 11:27
What do I miss most? The early doors pint and chat with the lads - I'm too old nowadays to want to be there when the pub closes (and have to drive home).
On curries, somewhere on PN there is an article extolling the virtues of sachets of mix from purity trading. IMAO they are far better than any UK supermarket offerings (Pateks, Grossman etc.) and are very nearly as good as the curry from a reasonable UK curry house.
David
David_J
Aug 2006
by beetle • Wed 13 Jun 2012 21:26
Could this be any of us in years to come?

The Four Yorkshiremen
If you never find what you seek, you never wanted it badly enough in the first place.
beetle
Dec 2007
by beetle • Fri 15 Jun 2012 17:57
I do not think there is much to miss. I know we will hang on to a bit of the UK like child does a rubber ring when learning to swim. Hopefully we will not get out of our depth, but who can tell.
The world is always changing and we like change.
At a recent school class reunion I was suprised to find most had played safe and not ventured very far from the area they grew up in. There is nothing wrong with that. They are happy in their comfort zone.
From my point of view I see the pillars of society in Britain as an illusion and when the prestidigitateur wip's away the cloth there is nothing there! so nothing has been lost.
Your memories are always with you good,bad or embelished and the blank page has yet to be scribed.
If you never find what you seek, you never wanted it badly enough in the first place.
beetle
Dec 2007
by Annik • Sat 16 Jun 2012 00:28
The trouble is that the pillars of French society are equally unlikeable! Try reading "Sixty million Frenchmen can't be wrong" by Jean-Benoit Nadeau and Julie Barlow, ISBN 1-86105-715-6. Unfortunately I don't think that an ideal society exists anywhere... I wish it did.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
by alldown • Sun 14 Jul 2013 10:36
My husband Stephen David Nash 1955-2012 died aged 57
alldown
Sep 2005
by lavaufranche • Mon 29 Jul 2013 10:22
Yes Gill, Stephen died much too young, we thought of you and your journey back to the Creuse in July and hoped that you had managed OK.
It is the friends I would miss in the UK, the good thing is that our French neighbours are helpful, and we have made new friends (Dutch, British and French). I am trying to improve my French and to understand the subtlties of the French language.
Bon Courage Mike
lavaufranche
Nov 2006
by SIMON • Mon 29 Jul 2013 12:15
What do you miss about the UK.
well there are a lot of things such as nosy neighbours, un helpful call centres, cost of living, poor road system, cost of running a car, supermarkets not having what you want, UK red tape, these are just a few of the things I miss.

Having been fortunate to move around on several occasions, I have learnt never to look back on what you have left, all ways look a head.
I left the North East of England way back in 1994, after my parents passed away from cancers, I have never been back and will never go back. There is nothing there I miss.

When you move you have to change your life style and friends to get along in your new area of habitation.
If you miss english food or goods just order up from Tesco or Asda and get them shipped over here.

I miss nothing of the UK not even the cold damp weather.
SIMON
Jan 2013
by virtdave • Mon 29 Jul 2013 12:22
I do miss haggis--when we lived in Edinburgh, we were a few steps from MacSween's, purveyors of haggis to Her Majesty. I recall it went quite well with a wee dram of single malt.
virtdave
Sep 2008
by edmoraz • Wed 31 Jul 2013 16:13
I too like haggis but as for the dram yuk
edmoraz
Feb 2008
by pogo • Thu 01 Aug 2013 19:33
After 8 years here......

good classic car shows, the river Beult in Kent, local things to do in winter, customer service, and really miss the county agriculteral shows. Shame in this area of farming they dont seem to have a show to show off their stock and crops etc.

Still, all fairly minor compared to the plus points of living in france

Pogo
pogo
Mar 2007
by virtdave • Thu 01 Aug 2013 20:37
If you miss agricultural fairs, next weekend there's one in Saint Flour--this link gives a bit of info. We went a few years ago, quite by accident, and it was pretty nifty. I'd not recommend any travel on Saturday, probably the worst day for traffic of the year in France, tho if you set out really early you might get lucky. Though it'll be torrid in Clemont-Ferrand, Saint Flour is up at about 1000m elevation, and probably will be rather nice.
virtdave
Sep 2008
by alldown • Fri 02 Aug 2013 16:40
On a lighter note to my previous post, how can anybody not miss really , really strong cheddar . Don't get me wrong I love French cheeses but unless you pay a fortune really strong cheddar is just not there.

When I visit I take, in my cool box , a chunk of Cheddar

Cheese on toast anyone ?
alldown
Sep 2005
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions