Pont Noir

Live Life in Creuse

Any suggestions for a hotel or B&B in the Dreux area?
by TandemStoker • Fri 12 Aug 2011 09:16
Ferry booked for a trip to the house next week (yippee!)but now need a stopover hotel or B&B in the Dreux area. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm doing the Dieppe, Rouen, Chartres route with my daughter and don't want to drive without a stop as I'll be doing all the driving. Last time I had a stopover I used the Campanile in Dreux and, whilst it was OK, it was fairly expensive and noisy for a budget hotel so I thought I'd look for something a bit better. Internet searches aren't throwing much up, only Le Beffroi which hasn't responded so I guess they're fully booked.

Any ideas welcome, thanks!

TS
TandemStoker
Jan 2011
Re: Any suggestions for a hotel or B&B in the Dreux area?
by smilespwp • Fri 12 Aug 2011 09:51
In the past, if we ever wanted to have an overnight stop near to a large town or city in France we usually spent the night in a B&B hotel. Clean, comfortable and with a reasonable breakfast available in the morning. En suite and free Wifi in there if you need it. There is one at Dreux: Double room (Non-smoking) €39

Hotel-BB.com

In fact most of the budget hotels you find in the towns/cities are usually located in the ZI areas and are matched to suit your pocket but even the lowest priced ones such as Premiere Classe are clean even if a little bit basic.

My recommendation is B&B or Balladins. If you want to pay a little more then try Campanile(own restaurant). Buffalo Grill is recommended for convenient evening meal eating.

Hope this helps.

One extra piece of advice. Book in advance by credit card. If you arrive late, you can get access to your room using the reference and your card at the entrance.
Best regards

Brian
smilespwp
Apr 2007
by TandemStoker • Mon 15 Aug 2011 16:45
Thanks for your reply, Brian. I think we'll probably stick with one of the chain hotels, as you suggest, I just have a hankering after years of clean but featureless boxes for something with a bit more character. Maybe wallpaper on the doors, dodgy plumbing, and a bed that sags in the middle!

TS
TandemStoker
Jan 2011
by Annik • Mon 15 Aug 2011 18:57
We're great fans of B&Bs. I have just Googled Chambres d'hotes in the Dreux area and there seem to be some nice ones (I haven't stayed at any of them). Try this link.

I tried to do it through Gites de France website, who are usually very reliable, but it wouldn't let me look without putting in your dates, which of course I don't know.

Good luck

Annik
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
by Ann-et-Steve • Mon 15 Aug 2011 21:41
Hi TS,

The Hotel-BB.com link that Brian suggested, I can recommend the one in Dreux. We have stayed there several times and have always been pleased with the accommodation.
It over looks the market square, which has been nicely renovated. The market square covers an underground carpark. The car park is manned 24/7, well illuminated, and last time we used it cost 2 erus for an over night park. The carpark is less than 100 yds from the BB front door. There is a restaurant just around the corner, and another one, I think it's called The Pub, just over the market square. It is french!
Yes, book on line, makes things much easier when you arrive.

Steve.
Ann-et-Steve
Mar 2008
by TandemStoker • Wed 17 Aug 2011 18:30
Many thanks, Annik and Steve, for your suggestions. The B&B in Dreux is full but Le Beffroi replied today to say that they do have a room so we'll be staying there on the way out. It has good reviews so fingers crossed.

We had a lovely meal last year in a restaurant in the main square - can't remember what it was called but great ambiance so I'll head for that again this time.

The weather is looking hot for the first few days!

TS
TandemStoker
Jan 2011
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions