Why Charolais ?
by smilespwp • Mon 30 May 2011 16:46

Hi Dave

Just resting a bad back and wondering why the cattle on the Pont Noir page banner are Charolais (originating in Burgandy) and not Limousin reds ?

Don't pay much heed to me, envious of the forecast 24 degrees in Gueret whilst here in Lancashire it has only just stopped raining at the end of the bank holiday.

Soon be back over though, once I've collected my daughter from Bath University, next weekend.

Anyway, why Charolais ?

Best regards

Brian
smilespwp
Apr 2007
Re: Why Charolais ?
by Dave • Tue 31 May 2011 11:03

Believe it or not, this question has been asked before - White Cows.

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by smilespwp • Tue 31 May 2011 12:00

Thanks Dave,

Missed that one.

Best regards

Brian
smilespwp
Apr 2007
by Creusebear • Tue 31 May 2011 12:21

Tom rekons that the Charolais and the Limousin are in fact the same beast, just at different times of year. When we first came to Creuse the fields were full of brown cows and it was only when we came in the winter that we saw white cows. So Tom now believes that the Limousin has a brown summer coat and a white winter one.

Creusebear
May 2007
by Annik • Tue 31 May 2011 20:06

We are in the depths of cow country here and I would guess that they split about 49.95% Charollais and 49.95% Limousin. There are about two Friesians left in the village after the local dairy farmer gave up milking but couldn't sell his entire tiny herd of about 30 cows.

But I like Tom's theory best.

Annik

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
by Frankie • Tue 31 May 2011 21:02

So looking at the Percentages above, and taking into account that we have 5 cows at the top and we are not sure when the photo was taken, can we assume that the picture is missing 5 brownish cows or some snow.

Frankie
Jul 2010
by Dave • Tue 31 May 2011 21:13

I shall endeavour to get out and about and get a photo of 5 Limousin beasts in a similar pose (all my neighbours favour the Charolais so I'll have to go for a wander further afield). That way I can swap them over during the winter to fuel Tom's winter coat theory - which I will use unremittingly on all "city folk" that visit.

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by virtdave • Tue 31 May 2011 21:19

The white (Charolais) and the brown (Limousin) cows are different races, not just winter/summer variants (like stoats). Their temperaments are rather different--the smaller brown Limousin variety is said by our neighbor (who raises them) to be more nervous, and unpredictable, their white cousins, the Charolais, more placid. I drove by a mixed herd of cows today, and was struck that the brown cows were all grouped at one side of the herd, the white ones at the other--not sure if this is usual cow behavior, I'm gonna keep a lookout for it. Usually one sees herds either all of one color or all of the other.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by redburmese • Tue 31 May 2011 23:11

The brown Limousin cows [we are surounded here ]plus they are in the field within 3 feet of my kitchen window ;always seem very placid and stand for hours watching my cats being fed and playing 'nothing seems to phase them except when the tractor arrives to feed them 'and then its stampeed time .

redburmese
Aug 2008
by Creusebear • Tue 31 May 2011 23:30

Driving along a country lane one day I suddenly became aware that a herd of 'possessed' :twisted: Limousin were stampeding across the field directly towards the road/me - these guys were not joking and I really believed they had some 'beef' :) with me. At the last minute a deer lept over the hedge from the field, across the road in front of me and into the wood beyond. The herd screeched to a halt and reverted to being placid ruminators. I did not know that there was such antipathy between the species, any ideas?

Creusebear
May 2007
by Annik • Wed 01 Jun 2011 00:41

Definitely. We were walking down a little lane near the house one night when we heard the cows in the field on one side getting very agitated. Then suddenly a big deer jumped out of their field, into the road in front of us, and up over the bank and hedge into the field on the other side of the road, in one fluid motion. The cattle were decidedly not happy with its presence.

Annik

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
by Lynn • Wed 01 Jun 2011 16:12

We have both Limousin cattle and Charolais in fields next to our house and the Charolais are by far the noisiest, we are hardly aware of the Limousins at all. Interestingly our farmer refers to them as Limousine, even when the bull is amongst them! But I love the idea of them being the same race with seasonal variations, I wonder how many people we can make believe that!!

Lynn
Apr 2008
by oldbill • Wed 01 Jun 2011 20:16

The brown (Summer) and white (Winter) cattle are of the same type as the wild or farmed Haggis. I prefer the wild haggis as the meat has a more gamey flavor, but each to his own. :wink:

The older I get, the better I was.
oldbill
Feb 2006
by adey • Sat 04 Jun 2011 10:31

I'm sorry oldbill, but you are completely wrong in your assessment of the wild and farmed haggis.
The farmed haggis is much more palatable and being of the 4 legged variety rather than the two, makes for a much easier distribution at Sunday lunch. (the wings on wild haggis are hardly worth the effort).

Haggis

adey
Aug 2009
by virtdave • Sat 04 Jun 2011 12:32

Since our stay in Edinburgh was largely in the winter, perhaps I've never had the pleasure of trying summer haggis. We did live just around the corner from McSween's (Purveyors of Haggis to Her Majesty), and found that with enough excellent single-malt whiskey, their haggis was extremely tasty.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by oldbill • Sat 04 Jun 2011 13:57

Although the wild haggis has only two legs, the fact that the right is much longer than the left (from running anti-clockwise around hills), means that overall you tend to have the same amount of meat.

The older I get, the better I was.
oldbill
Feb 2006
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions