noisy neighbour
by chaillac1 • Wed 22 Apr 2009 14:15

I have a problem with a real noisy neighbour,

My next door neighbour is an old guy who is visited (recently every weekend from feb) by his grandson aged 27ish. Every day he is there, his grandson plays for large periods of time of up 2 to 3 hrs his music at an intolerable level not just loud but full blast Glastonbury style loud (house music). About two years ago the same thing happened and the Marie managed to sort it out but now he is back . I am currently renovating my property into 4 holiday lets and am sure this will kill my plans dead before they have started. Does any one know how I can deal with this issue once and for all.

Only in indre , chaillac1

chaillac1
Dec 2005
Re: noisy neighbour
by Dave • Wed 22 Apr 2009 14:53

The first place to start it with the guy and his grandfather. If he is unreasonable you should go back to the Marie, perhaps explaining the negative impact on your income (and the communes). If there is no joy with that approach you can go to a advocar and take legal action.

The first appointment should be free and they will explain your options and what needs to be done. You should also keep a diary of each session and ideally get something to measure the sound level (in your garden and inside house), but you should keep in mind that this will be difficult and expensive and most likely the guy will disappear again before you get to court.

Sorting it out direct is the best method, even though this can be difficult and frustrating (I emphasise with you having lived near a guy learning the bongo's for a while). Have the Marie go with you if at all possible (this sort of thing is part of their remit so should be possible to organise).

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by thetransporter • Wed 22 Apr 2009 17:13

You can contact the Gendarmes directly - they will come out and invetigate such claims, particulally if there is a chance that the noise will continue until they can get there (we had personal experience of this at our previous address - NW Creuse). They will speak to the occupier and will take action if the noise is deemed to be inappropriate. There is however a 10 til 8 rule - nationwide, by which we ALL must abide, that is far less noise is tolerated between 10pm and 8am! You may have noted bars close there terraces at 10pm (or should do!).

Bare in mind also the 'dinner-time' rule - cutting of grass, drilling, chainsawing etc should dissist between 12noon and 2.00pm - to allow everyone to eat and relax at lunchtime.

The Gendarmes (or Police Municipale if you are in a largish town) are there for our wellbeing and to ensure 'security' of all kinds - it is certainly in their remit to investigate and persue these kind of complaints - whether you are a french national or an ex-pat - or even a tourist, renting for the week.

Give them a call - if your French is not brilliant, they often have someone on the 'team' who can speak some English.

Good luck - and don't give up - you have as many rights as the next inhabitant!

thetransporter
Jan 2008
by chaillac1 • Fri 24 Apr 2009 10:15

Thank you Dave and Thetrainspoter for your prompt reply. My communication with the With the mairie has resulted in some movement in the matter see attached letter (if I can attach it) however the secretary for the mairie has also written saying she will pass my letter on to the vice mairie who she feels may be more resilient. So lets see what happens in the mean time via my other neighbours and during Whit week when i am next there. I will dig out the phone number of the police better to be prepared than not .

Big thanks and I will post any progress relating to this matter as and when it happens.
Chaillac1

chaillac1
Dec 2005
by moses • Sun 26 Apr 2009 01:54

is he doing it to get your backs up on purpose??? when it comes to neighbor problems it certainly pays to talk talk talk before escalating a situation too far ?? and it must be affecting other neighbors as well so the more complaints the better if you go this way.

anthony

moses
Aug 2006
by chaillac1 • Mon 27 Apr 2009 13:29

Hi Anthony,
Its not so much him trying to get peoples backs up on purpose with that set aim it’s a case of him having no social skills what so ever. I think he intimidates his grandfather as he is the only one bringing wages in. He lives with his girlfriend during the week in a near by town so week days there is no problem just bank holidays and weekends . But when I went round to complain last time his girlfriend was there and got it stopped almost straight away. So there is an element of communication and it does get sorted at the time. The problem is, its seems to be only a partial fix. As the next day or later on at night it starts again . There are other neighbours involved so the pressure is mounting.
Chaillac1

chaillac1
Dec 2005
by moses • Tue 28 Apr 2009 00:03

i too know the effects of bad neighbors as we used to have them either side and it ended with us moving before we went mad.

his girlfriend seems quite resonable perhaps try to speak to her and offer a compromise that allows him to blast his music at a certain time, when your not in preferably as nothing worse than a youngster that thinks bugxxr you!!!

we have a man in our commune that blasts music but it doesnt affect us and the other neighbors dont seem bothered, although would it bother you if he was blasting mozart etc

i hope mr mairie sorts him out for you if needed ???
anthony

moses
Aug 2006
by chaillac1 • Fri 05 Jun 2009 13:43

Up date on noisy neighbour I spent whit at my place in Chaillac and there was no sign or sound of the grandson come DJ. On the Wednesday I attended a pre arranged meeting with the Deputy Mairie who informed me that they had been to see the occupants and had made it clear it was not going to be tolerated and if it happened again I was to go straight to the Mairie. So a positive outcome

Chaillac1

thank you for your input on this subject and i will keep you informed

chaillac1
Dec 2005
by edmoraz • Fri 05 Jun 2009 19:18

I am so pleased for you. Enjoy your peace and quiet.You cant beat a good relax and good on the Mairie for standing their ground.

edmoraz
Feb 2008
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions