Van - Ferry prices
by smilespwp • Thu 23 Oct 2008 20:54

Anyone experienced in travelling to the Creuse in a van (I'm going to have to do a trip soon).

Info on what you consider the best ferry services to use (price wise), I've always lately, done Newhaven - Dieppe with a car but think from a cost point of view Dover - Calais may be a better option.

Anyone's views and opinions welcome.

Best regards

Brian
smilespwp
Apr 2007
Re: Van - Ferry prices
by edmoraz • Thu 23 Oct 2008 22:07

We travelled over in a long wheel based transit in March and the tunnel was the cheapest option by far.

edmoraz
Feb 2008
by blaudeix • Fri 24 Oct 2008 08:47

speedferries 25ukp each way

Minimum size for a septic tank (fosse septique) is 3000 litres. All installations must conform to DTU64.1 The S.P.A.N.C. technician will verify this. A principle piece is a room without water larger than 7 metres square.
blaudeix
Nov 2006
by Zebedee • Fri 24 Oct 2008 21:47

You could try LD lines overnight from Portsmouth. Gives you a fresh start in the morning too!

Zebedee
Jul 2008
by smilespwp • Sat 25 Oct 2008 09:18

Speedferries looks very promising and only 50 minutes crossing time. Just did a costing van/2 adults + 1 17 year old £56 return. Think that might be the way to go.

Thanks for the responses so far.

Best regards

Brian
smilespwp
Apr 2007
by moses • Wed 12 Nov 2008 16:41

hi
iv just done newhaven dieppe for £186.00 including cabins both ways in my van because my dad was with me and it gives a bit more rest time(a bit of a kip on the boat).

if i was by myself i would go dover calais as ferry to fuel cost saves quite a bit of money and im still young enough not to be bothered by travelling.

on what others have said though i might try the tunnel next time, i have been on most routes and find newhaven dieppe to be the least stressful for getting down the creuse so far.

luckily our place is nearly ready in terms of van trips so ryanair and car rental might be on the cards for short trips if just two of us go.

the other thing with a van is i have always been stopped going out uk side to be inspected and checked for guns etc etc and when your fully loaded you pray they dont make you empty your van knowing its took 3 hours to load it like that??????
anthony

moses
Aug 2006
by dissid32 • Wed 12 Nov 2008 18:53

In view of the arrest of Speedferries boat, I've just made a booking with P&O, leaving France Dec and returning Jan, £79 return, which I thought was quite reasonable considering that Speedferries would have been £80. I've got a small VW campervan.
This is also a lot less than Eurotunnel wanted.

Patrick
dissid32
Feb 2006
by Annik • Wed 12 Nov 2008 22:27

I do so identify with Moses on the possibility of being asked to unload the vehicle. My OH is a wonderful packer (but quite impossible to live with whilst doing the packing) and when we were bringing everything including the kitchen sink over with us it was our nightmare that we would be asked to take it all out. Fortunately that has not happened yet. Perhaps having dogs on board who bark loudly when approached (as well as us looking like very white old fogies and not members of Al Q'aida - can't spell it) helps a bit.

Annik

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
by lavaufranche • Thu 13 Nov 2008 12:52

Norfolkline were good when we took a light lorry over. There is flexibility on the sailing time as you are not charged extra if you go on the previous or subsequent ferry to the one booked. I also prefer Dunkirk port to Calais.

I had to park lorry in the corner of car parks as it had a union jack with 'proud to be British' emblazoned on it - a red rag to Camion blanc homme. Dunkirk is only 15-20 miles up the road from Calais.
After driving the lorry I really appreciated the drive down in the car next time.

lavaufranche
Nov 2006
by moses • Thu 13 Nov 2008 23:22

yes overloading comes naturally it took 4 people to load a table and 6 chairs all cleverly intertwined to perfect mass of wood.
i always love the have you got any weapons sir request as i once had a log splitter 2 bow saws an axe i had resharpened a lawnmower fitted with a lovely set of new sharp blades and our beloved chainsaw.
i think i could of gone to war with that lot quite happily! well i did really on our garden.
anthony
ps oops i forgot the pickaxe which i found great for smashing tree stumps to pieces.

moses
Aug 2006
by Lynn • Fri 14 Nov 2008 23:33

WE came back to Uk yesterday with Norfolkline in our campervan. It was very reasonable and they couldn't have been more helpful with less than a day's notice for us to travel after the Speedferries debacle.
Lynn

Lynn
Apr 2008
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions