Pont Noir

Live Life in Creuse

House Numbers
by Annik • Tue 22 Jul 2008 00:46
This isn't a French question but I am sure someone clever out there will know. How does the American house-numbering system work? When our son was living in California the numbers in his road were not consecutive at all and I couldn't work out how you would ever find someone's home if you only had the house number to go by.

Annik
Annik
Jun 2007
Re: American House Numbers
by lestroisours • Wed 23 Jul 2008 10:42
In certain localities, the house number is a very precise postcode. My brother lives in a development outside Orlando in Florida, and he has one of "those numbers". He has a postcode of five digits beginning with FL32 which follow the city, but the house number (4 digits) is part zone and part house number, precedes the street name.
lestroisours
Oct 2007
by Annik • Wed 23 Jul 2008 10:50
Ah, thanks! Our son lived at 40160 Village Road - and as it was only a small development of apartments I couldn't work out where all the other forty thousand houses in the road were!

Actually, turning this into a French topic, do many people on Pontnoir living in tiny villages have a house number yet? I gather there is a drive towards doing this, and it would seem to be sensible and helpful for the poor postman and drivers of delivery vehicles. If we are very lucky people put "le Bourg" on our address (which doesn't really mean much and doesn't identify the road), otherwise we have just got the name of the hamlet as our address. As we are in the centre of a spread-out village we are always getting people stopping and asking us where someone lives.

Annik
Annik
Jun 2007
by Dave • Wed 23 Jul 2008 12:20
We don't have a number or a street name.

I expect millions will be spent to add 1 rue de Sarko or something to our address, with a lovely new sign and 600 man hours of paperwork to change the name on all our papers. Our Posty used to live in our house when he was a boy so he'll find it despite whatever nonsense gets added.

This will most likely go the way of "everyone must be on mains drainage" and "everyone must get ADSL". One wonders if some of these decision makers even know where the Creuse is, let alone ever been here.
Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by lestroisours • Wed 23 Jul 2008 13:05
We named our house (as per our avatar), and nobody minded, except they wonder "pourquoi? Ils sont fous, les anglais!". It seems they La Poste knows where we are by that now, even if people omit our hamlet.
lestroisours
Oct 2007
by Goose • Wed 23 Jul 2008 17:18
We don't have a house number or road name either and as we don't need to actually write the Département on the address either (as it is indicated on the postcode) our address looks very short. There are just 8 houses in our hamlet and out postman knows who we all are.

We had a lovely plaque hand-made in the UK with the painting of a goose and called our cottage Goose Cottage but as we never asked if this was allowed we don't include it in our address - it just looks nice on our cottage door and our French neighbours like it.

A friend who is also a postman - though not ours except as a relief when the normal one is on his hols - told us that it depended on how many houses there were in a hamlet/village as to whether the houses had to be numbered. Don't know whether this is fact or not though.

Goose
Goose
Mar 2005
by jasmine • Wed 23 Jul 2008 17:33
We have had two houses here both with no street name or house number. Its a wonder that the posties ever manage to find anyone but they do unless...... anyone sends anything to us by recorded delivery from England. I have had three presents/parcels sent by recorded delivery and never had any of them arrive they all just seem to go missing strange don't you think?
Jasmine
jasmine
Dec 2007
by Chergirl • Wed 23 Jul 2008 19:37
It was my Dad's birthday while he was staying in our house.

My brother sent him a birthday card complete with birthday cheque inside, addressed the envelope which consists only of the hamlet name, postcode and department as per usual and completely forgot to add my Dads name!!!! :oops:

Amazingly it arrived - granted a week late - but full marks to the French postal service for tracking him down. To this day we don't know how they did it as La Lande is quite a common name for hamlets. :D
Chergirl
Oct 2007
by tomdenne • Wed 23 Jul 2008 22:06
Some people say that many dwellings in Paris have even numbers if they face South and odd numbers if they face North. However nobody ever says how the numbers work for dwellings that face either due East or West. Perhaps it's just another urban myth!
Cheers, Tom
tomdenne
Jan 2008
by Mikeovers • Thu 24 Jul 2008 00:10
I think it depends on the size of the commune that you live in. I have been told by our postman, that where we live it is only necessary for the address to have our surname and the post code, and it will reach us. To be honest, I've never tested this, but I occasionally buy and sell antique cameras on eBay, mostly in the USA, and I have never had a problem with recorded delivery here in France, but I have had the odd problem in the States. The odd thing is, that you can often get mail from the US or UK faster than within France! I recently ordered a couple of books from Amazon France, and they took 16 days to arrive.(I did notice that although Amazon is in the Ille de France, the packet was postmarked Zurich! How strange.) Mostly though, the postal service is good, I like being able to leave my mail to be collected on the mailbox, and buying stamps & prepaid envelopes from the postman.

Regards, Mike
Mikeovers
Nov 2004
by Goose • Thu 24 Jul 2008 09:48
Same here, Mike. We leave any mail that we want to post in our postbox outside the house with the money on top of the envelope (I weigh anything that might be heavier than the 20gms) and then put a clothes peg on the flap of the box so that the postman knows there's something in it for him to collect. I have left parcels and money notes as I don't know how much they are and he either leaves change next day or a little note telling me how much I owe him! Fantastic service.

Needless to say, he has a nice "Christmas Box" in appreciation.

Off this subject, Mike, our car club will be at Naillat on the village fête day of 3rd August.

Goose
Goose
Mar 2005
Re: House Numbers
by Annik • Thu 24 Jul 2008 10:10
We have made a little Swiss-chalet type weatherproof "house" that goes on top of our postbox to hold our outgoing post, as we regularly send out book orders to England. We have a stock of stamps and stick the appropriate amount on. But we didn't know that you could leave the "wrong" money with them and expect change. Thanks for that information, everyone, it will save us some trips to the post office at Chenerailles.

While we have no complaints about La Poste on a micro level we do find that on a national level they are incredibly slow. Customers in England can wait up to three weeks for their books and a parcel we sent to Spain took almost a month. We could have walked there with it more quickly!

Annik
Annik
Jun 2007
by Mikeovers • Fri 25 Jul 2008 21:30
It certainly is a bit different to the UK, we usually settle up with the postman at the end of the week!

Off topic, thanks for the info about Naillat on the 3rd Goose, but I shall be in the UK for a few days from next Wednesday, taking my grandson to the motor show at the NEC on the Saturday.
I did look out for you at the 2CV bash in Ahun, but I took one of the neighbours kids, so had to be back by 12.30 for the ritual lunch, plus it rained, so we left fairly early!

Kind Regards,
Mike
Mikeovers
Nov 2004
by amandaandclint • Sat 26 Jul 2008 08:34
Just a quick mention about Recorded Delivery from the UK.

It does not work from our experience. We have a lot of post from the UK and after a few problems we asked at our local post office about the fact that some stuff never arrives and other stuff never needs to be signed for.

Apparently only about half the Recorded Delivery stuff from the UK is handled by La Poste. The rest is by independent couriers. DHL do alot and they are good at getting signitures etc but smaller companies dont always bother.

The Post office told us that even if they got a signiture, they dont do anything with it, so unlike in the UK where they will retain this information for proof of delivery etc. over here there is no incentive for the postmen to retain this.

We tend to use just 1st class royal mail now as this arrives quicker and normally a lot cheaper.

For larger items we use companies such as 'interparcel' (from the uk to Europe)

Clint
amandaandclint
Feb 2007
by moses • Sun 27 Jul 2008 10:45
we have sent stuff to our house when we are going down or other people go down and it always gets there so far touch wood.
i have sent parcels to france recorded and would not bother paying extra as previous poster says recorded doesnt mean anything in france by my experiences.
anthony
moses
Aug 2006
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions