Favourite French film & why
by beetle • Mon 23 Jun 2008 18:51

Do you ever find when looking in the world cinema section there is not a large selection of French films to choose from and the selection does not change much, year in year out.
So what french films are a must see, for you?

For me, from my limited collection, it is 'La Glorie de Mon Pere' it captures youth when the whole world is an adventure,exciting challenging and your parents are your champions. It has a certain warmth in the story line. The music is hauntingly charming as are the visual scenes of the countryside. Reminds me of a time in my life.

If you never find what you seek, you never wanted it badly enough in the first place.
beetle
Dec 2007
Re: Favourite French film & why
by Annik • Mon 23 Jun 2008 19:48

I love that film! Have you seen the one that goes with it, "Le Chateau de ma Mère"? They are both by Marcel Pagnol and among my favourite films of all time, irrespective of language.

In May 2006 our French class went to see a lovely film at Evaux-les-Bains, in a tiny cinema run by one bearded man who was projectionist, manager and ice-cream girl all rolled into one. The sound was distorted so that there was too much bass, and it was very hard for us poor English to understand the words, but the acting and photography were so good that it didn't matter. I have been trying to find the title and failed (I may add it later) but I'm sure it involves the French for something to do with pens. It was about a little city boy who was sent to foster parents in the country, and it painted a wonderful picture of the rural life of the 1950s that we all love about France.

Annik

PS: I've found it:

Avec Le temps des porte-plumes* (*penholders or inkwells, according to the on-line dictionary) Daniel Duval signe un film qui le touche de très près puisqu’il s’agit de sa propre histoire. Placé dans une famille d’accueil à la campagne dans les années 50, ce jeune garçon de 9 ans a bien des difficultés pour s’intégrer dans sa nouvelle vie. Que le film soit autobiographique explique en grande partie son authenticité : pour une fois, le monde rural n’est pas caricaturé. Il est montré très simplement, sans grossir le trait. Jean-Paul Rouve parvient parfaitement à interpréter sobrement ce père d’adoption, plein de générosité. Le temps des porte-plumes est une chronique, sobre et tranquille sans dramatisation artificielle, mais aussi attachante et non dénuée d’intensité.
Rating: ****
Acteurs : Jean-Paul Rouve, Anne Brochet, Annie Girardot, Raphaël Katz, Denis Podalydès

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
by Creusebear • Mon 23 Jun 2008 21:15

"Amélie" - of course!
"Avoir and Etre" - that little kid with the dirty hands!
"Les Choristes" - loved the ending!

Great thread Beetle!

Creusebear
May 2007
by plantboy • Mon 23 Jun 2008 21:31

yes!
Amelie,Manon des sources,Jean de Florette,(anything with Emmanuelle Beart in!)and Breathless,all fantastic films

plantboy
Feb 2008
by Dave • Mon 23 Jun 2008 21:46

I liked Jean de Florette but Manon des Sources isn't a favourite (it is too mean I think).

I guess truthfully, my favourite French film (except maybe the comedic, almost silent, films with the guy in a trench coat - but I think they are Swiss - I forget his name now), is in fact, Taxi.

Taxi epitomises modern French "funny"; slap-stick, irreverent, stupid, poking fun at the state and les flic. It is very watchable and I laughed almost non-stop. The scooter scene at the start is fantastic. The American copy with Queen Latifa is not even close to being as good.

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by Sheriffof0 • Tue 24 Jun 2008 16:37

Absolutely no question: La Jettee (1963) by Chris Marker. Only about 29 minutes long and told entirely in b&w stills it remains the most impressive, compact and remarkable film I've ever seen. Some of you may know the film 12 Monkeys, the central premise of which is rather shamelessly lifted from Marker's film.

Have a look and be amazed at the simplicity and wonder at the beauty of a futuristic love story of time-travel and redemption.

Blogger + Web Monkey
cell: 44 (0) 781 8483219
Sheriffof0
Jun 2007
by smilespwp • Wed 25 Jun 2008 21:26

Well Jon ... On your recommendation I viewed "La Jette" and now I'm looking for a rusty razor blade to slash my wrists.

Can't say that I enjoyed it and don't think it's a particularly clever story. Sorry, each to his own I suppose.

Much prefer a zany comedy, so if anyone has any recommendations in that genre, then I'm open to suggestions.

Best regards

Brian
smilespwp
Apr 2007
by plantboy • Wed 25 Jun 2008 21:45

Hi Jon,
I watched the utube video,and have bought the DVD after seeing it,one of the most interesting,disturbing and beautiful love stories I have seen,the piece in the animal museum was fantastic ,not everybodies cup of tea but I really enjoyed it,thanks

plantboy
Feb 2008
by moses • Wed 25 Jun 2008 23:58

mines got to be amelie as my favourite i'v watched loads of times.
if your looking for a family film i find taxi 1 2 & 3 keeps the tribe happy everytime when dads in lets put on a film mood the first one is still the best.
les triplettes de belleville absolutely stunning cartoon piece that puts disney to shame the story line a little complicated and takes some following but watch and enjoy if you like all things french you surely will.
i also enjoyed the film leon the professionel about a hitman who befriends a 12 yr old girl and the ensuing relationship together as she is taught how to be a "hitman" herself, very watchable film that doesnt tax the brain matter too much (french director so still counts).
anthony

moses
Aug 2006
by beetle • Fri 27 Jun 2008 21:31

'Le Chateau de Ma Mere' Ahh, equally as good as the first film. It makes you appreciate how our lives follow a river of life which can be altered or moulded by chance encounters or influences, pulling us in one direction or another. We do not know to what end.

Amelie and The Chorus are also favourites.

On a somber note ' L'Armee Des Ombres' by Jean-Pierre Melville, is a film about the French Resistance: the people and times in which they lived. Honour and courage, the stark rawness of their actions is there to see, sometimes when you least expect it.

If you never find what you seek, you never wanted it badly enough in the first place.
beetle
Dec 2007
by amandaandclint • Sat 28 Jun 2008 21:55

I have to agree that La Jettee is pretty good.

Great suggestion Sheriffof0

amandaandclint
Feb 2007
by blaudeix • Sat 28 Jun 2008 23:09

Last Tango in Paris :)

Minimum size for a septic tank (fosse septique) is 3000 litres. All installations must conform to DTU64.1 The S.P.A.N.C. technician will verify this. A principle piece is a room without water larger than 7 metres square.
blaudeix
Nov 2006
by james419 • Sun 29 Jun 2008 06:55

"Un Homme et Une Femme"

james419
Sep 2005
by thetransporter • Sun 29 Jun 2008 09:07

'Delicatessen'

Great surreal film, very dark and yet humerous.

A little difficult to follow, but well worth it - a real cult French film.

thetransporter
Jan 2008
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions