Pont Noir

Live Life in Creuse

Demonstrations and strike action in France
by Creusebear • Sat 07 Dec 2019 20:51
We are hoping to come over for a week before Christmas but are a bit nervous with all the news on the demonstrations. Will the motorways services and petrol stations be affected? Would it be better to travel on the N roads? We were going to stop for the night in Paris on the way down.
What has been happening in Creuse?
Creusebear
May 2007
Re: Demonstrations and strike action in France
by Dave • Sun 08 Dec 2019 11:45
I found this which is a summary of strike action in Creuse for last Friday. It impacts most public services. This shows that 2 to 3 thousand people turned out in Guéret on Friday. Some interesting pictures.

If you use Twitter then perhaps follow @FBCreuse (Radio France Bleu Creuse) which seems to give updates and has some video of the demo's in various parts of Creuse. Worth following to keep an eye on things or just look at their time-line via the link even it you don't Tweet.

I would think that outside of Paris anyway, motorways will be pretty much OK although you should plan for delays at tolls and through towns. Fill up before you leave the UK, make sure you have food, water and blankets in the car and I would say avoid Paris and other large cities (Rouen, Orleans and so on) if you can.

I expect Eurotunnel will be running, but check with them the day before. Currently their information page says
We understand there may be industrial action in some areas of France, but can reassure you that Eurotunnel Le Shuttle does not foresee disruption on its service between Folkestone and Calais.
which is great but says nothing about getting back from Calais to Folkestone so that might need some extra thought and time.

Other trains including Eurostar, airports and ports are likely to be impacted.

This handy page gives a list of strikes in France. You can also select by region or department.
Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by Creusebear • Mon 09 Dec 2019 23:04
Really useful links - thanks Dave. I suppose we will have to just play it by ear!
Creusebear
May 2007
by Ricardo • Sat 14 Dec 2019 21:24
We arrived back on Thursday after a week in La Creuse. There were no problems encountered by us throughout. The tunnel was, if anything, smoother than it has been of late. Travelling through Rouen during rush hour was easy with no hold-ups even though there was marginally more traffic on the road.
Ricardo
Jul 2009
by Creusebear • Sun 15 Dec 2019 17:02
We arrived yesterday and had no problems at all, although I did keep the tank full. In the end we decided to skip the planned overnight stay in Paris in case we had problems with the metro/RER running. I was looking forward to it too, but I am now warm in front of a blazing Creusois fireplace, so it's not too bad!
Creusebear
May 2007
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions