visas
by virtdave Sat 04 Nov 2017 17:20

We have been coming to the Creuse regularly since we bought our place over 30 years ago, and since I retired, about 12 years ago, have been spending just under six months per year there. Though we knew that there was a visa requirement for non-EU citizens for stays longer than three months, our local mayor had told us not to concern ourselves with it. Last week, tho, when leaving to return to the USA, the French customs agent noted we'd been in France since May without such a visa. We were treated to a tour of CDG's underground anthill where there were an impressive number of cops, all quite polite, and were fined 180€ each before being allowed to board the plane. At least our dog was not so fined. Since the cost to apply for the now-enforced visa is about 125€, I guess we came out ahead (other than the anxiety issue), since one of the visa requirements is an impressively overpriced health insurance policy for the planned stay....
How this will impact Brits, post-Brexit, is probably under discussion now, where politicians without a clue are debating issues which are mostly obscure and without any real accountability. Bon courage.

virtdave
Sep 2008
Re: visas
by sevy1 Sun 05 Nov 2017 09:35

Hi Virtdave
Sorry to hear your story and hope it does not stop you visiting the Creuse in the future. We are planning to retire to the Creuse from the UK 2 years after the Brexit deal concludes.
Our plans were made when buying the house and spending thousands on renovation that we would eventually make our home here. We are worried about the outcome after Brexit. Will we need a Visa to come here? Will we be able to move here permanently? What about healthcare, we have had careers in the NHS and may end up paying for private health insurance for the rest of our lives!! So much hinges on the decision of the politicians and the goal posts seem to move weekly. What are the rules for US citizens moving to France permanently?
Sevy

sevy1
Sep 2013
by virtdave Sun 05 Nov 2017 22:44

Your questions mirror my own, and in the case of the UK it's even trickier, since no one really knows what the rules for UK cititzens will be. I've briefly (3 months in London, 6 months in Edinburgh) lived and worked there--the last time we were there, in East Sussex a few years ago, I was surprised at how much better the food was.....
this article appeared in today's NYT. It may resonate with you. Immigration regulations in either direction are, possibly intentionally, arcane and byzantine. We're unikely to move permanently to France, tho Trump's shenanigans make us plenty nervous.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by Dave Mon 06 Nov 2017 10:16

I'm glad that you got home to the USA OK. A small fine and a ticking off doesn't seem too bad if that's all it is. If you overstay a visa waiver in the USA it's taken much more seriously - arrest and fine and you aren't able to use it again ever so must always pre-apply for a visa in the future, which may be refused anyway due to the waiver issues. France, I expect, isn't going to be so troubled by your paperwork tardiness.

It's not clear how Brexit will work out. Will we all have to leave? It seems unlikely and the EU seem to be suggesting that any Brit that has EU citizenship now can keep it in the future if they want, although how that would actually work isn't clear. I guess I'm ignoring it now due to lack of facts and actually what can I do? Enjoy life and not worry about that stuff; that's was one of the main reasons for buying in Creuse that seems even more important these days. :)

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by David_J Mon 06 Nov 2017 11:11

Dave, you express my attitude to it all pretty accurately.

David_J
Aug 2006
by Creusebear Sat 11 Nov 2017 15:15

virtdave - glad you made it home without too much delay. I think the increased vigilance at the borders is probably the price we are all paying for the heightened security fears. As for Brexit - which continues to be an impenetrable fog as far as I can see - as Dave says - no point worrying about it until we get any sense of its actual implications. We recently visited New York and Canada so have experienced the ESTA and ETA paperwork. In the US I found the border controls to be much more streamlined than my previous experience about 10 years ago when non US travellers were kept in a queue for over an hour even with all the correct documentation.
Glad you found the food better in the UK! :up:

Creusebear
May 2007
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions