Firewood needed
by charlie • Sat 17 Aug 2019 17:59

We have finally run out of logs for our wood burner. Our usual suppliers have both retired and we are looking to buy two steres of seasoned logs, 50cms long, delivered to Pouligny Notre Dame.
Does anyone know of a supplier who could be interested?

charlie
Dec 2004
Re: Firewood needed
by Deleted User 1427 • Sun 25 Aug 2019 10:31

Christian MARTEAU

This guy come from north of La Chatre, he is willing to travel but only with a full trailer which is 10 stere

Last year he charge 550€ with wood at 50cm (he will cut smaller for a small fee ie 33 or 25)

90% oak and very good

As it gets into winter he tends to ask for more €

Have you tried your mayor or LBC?

Deleted User 1427
by charlie • Tue 27 Aug 2019 19:55

Thanks for the info FB. I don't think he will be able to help because we only buy two steres at a time. We use 50cm logs so that would have been good though 10 steres is too much.
Thanks again. Alistair

charlie
Dec 2004
by Deleted User 1427 • Tue 27 Aug 2019 20:51

Dont forget prices only go up and wood gets drier

Deleted User 1427
by Deleted User 1427 • Tue 27 Aug 2019 20:52

Have you tried LBC?

Deleted User 1427
by charlie • Wed 28 Aug 2019 12:59

Good advice! Regarding the 10 steres, perhaps I should be more flexible and get a load in. Our usual log stores just hold two steres in total so what should I do with the other eight? I have, this summer, managed to repair the large workshop which has enough space if I re-organise my junk areas.
The more obvious thing to do is to create a stack outside where I have suitable, convenient places. I see many householders proudly showing off the wood piles and these appear to have no protection from the weather. Is it sensible to store logs without protection from above or below? My only experience is with my small piles of timber in various spots around the garden and these invariably rot away over the years.
Alistair

charlie
Dec 2004
by Deleted User 1427 • Fri 30 Aug 2019 12:44

As you say most french dont bother

As long as it is on something like a pallet or branches and has a tarp or similar on top its ok

It will continue to dry as long as air can pass through

I have a few pieces of roof tin you can have FOC if you wish

Deleted User 1427
by charlie • Mon 02 Sep 2019 23:29

Thanks for the offer but I have some old corrugated iron sheets in my cave waiting to be useful. I reclaimed them from an old shed that I demolished several years ago. I'm not sure my wife will accept them as they may detract from her beautiful garden!
I could even store logs in the cave, on palets to keep them off the damp floor.
I looked again lbc and found some logs for sale just North of La Chatre priced per stere. I am considering buying just one stere at a time because, in theory, they should fit in the back of our estate car with the back seats down.
Alistair

charlie
Dec 2004
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions