Pont Noir

Live Life in Creuse

Landline Telephone
by CaroleandClive • Fri 24 Aug 2007 10:15
Hello there

We are thinking of putting a landline in our house, possibly, depending costs as not there full-time yet.

Wonder if you could please advise me of the likely costs? Is it similar to UK, with connection, standing charges, etc? guess so.

many thanks in advance
Carole
CaroleandClive
Dec 2006
Re: Landline Telephone
by alldown • Fri 24 Aug 2007 16:54
Hi there

We had our telephone put on in the summer of 2006. It cost about €60. There had been a line some time previously but they came out and put a different connection in. I expect the cost varies depending on where telephone poles are etc.

One thing worth thinking about, if you are not in France permanently, is asking for your account to be Ligne Rèsidence Secondaire. This means that you only pay the standing charge @ €15 per month for the time you are there (eg. If you are going for 2 weeks in September you ask them to connect for a month (it has to be amonth) starting say the day before you arrive. On your return to the UK you telephone France telecom and ask them to suspend the service.

You can get further information from france telecome's dedicated English speaking line on 0033155786056 (from UK)

Hope this is some help Gill
alldown
Sep 2005
by CaroleandClive • Sat 25 Aug 2007 15:16
Thanks Gill
That's exactly what we needed to know.
Appreciate your advice
kindest
Carole
CaroleandClive
Dec 2006
by ihusker • Fri 31 Aug 2007 00:03
Just read Alldown's info re landlines and all I can say is GRRRR. *#*#***. I had my landline reconnected about 3 years ago when my sitting tenant moved out and I took possession of my house. I rang France Telecom and got an English speaking rep. Everything was quite straightforward but they insisted the payment was by direct debit from my account. They knew this was for a maison secondaire as they send me the advice note to my UK address, but there was no mention of only paying while you were actually there.It's cost me a small fortune in standing charges while the house has been empty. Do you know if this scheme has been in existence for long? Not that it's going to help me now as I hope to move permanently in the near future.
ihusker
Feb 2006
by ihusker • Fri 19 Dec 2008 00:24
Just returned from the creuse, having put the house to bed for the winter. Whilst I was there I rang the english speaking number and enquired about having the line suspended as a ligne maison secondaire and was told that there is no such scheme. I thought it seemed too good to be true. I wonder if anyone has any further knowledge of this scheme.
regards, Ian
ihusker
Feb 2006
by Steve • Fri 19 Dec 2008 01:00
Hi

We had our Ligne Residence Secondaire connected in July 2008 after speaking to a very helpful woman on the English-speaking helpline (number as above). When we arrived, FranceTelecom had already connected the line, although there was a fault, we then connected the same helpline again from the Mairie's Office, after explaining the reasons for calling from a business number (i.e. because ours was faulty) the rep was able to arrange for an engineer to call within a few days and correct the fault. We've had no trouble since.

We registered on-line at www.francetelecom.fr and are able to effect connection and disconnection of the line over the web with no difficulties. There is a charge of around €4.65 each time you request a disconnection, but otherwise there are no hidden charges and you only pay for when you have the line switched on.

As stated above, you have to have the line connected for a minimum of one month at a time; and you have to connect the line at least once in each 12 month period. The scheme is hidden from view on the France Telecom website, but take a look at this for details.

If you do phone FranceTelecom's English-speaking Helpline from the UK, remember to use an Over-ride provider number unless you have an international call package already, because you're likely to be in the queue for a long time - this is a really busy line. 20 minutes listening to the same recorded message is not unusual.

Good luck with this.

Simon & Steven
Steve
Apr 2008
by Chergirl • Fri 19 Dec 2008 17:10
Hi all
You can definately have your residence secondaire line disconnected and reconnected but as Steve states if you phone the English speaking help line it can take days to get through.

Thanks for the website info Steve the last time I phoned they did tell me that this would become available but they weren't sure when.
Now I know where to find it I shall definately use it. :lol:
Chergirl
Oct 2007
by ihusker • Mon 26 Jan 2009 23:28
I'm still confused with these lignes residence secondaire. You say you had your LRS connected in July. Did you have a "normal" line before? and did it have to be changed to a LRS?. I have a standard line which was in the house when I bought it and just got it reconnected. When I rang the english speaking no.and asked to be changed to ligne residence secondaire, the man said I could only change it to another address and there was no scheme to connect and disconnect temporarily. Perhaps he was unaware of the scheme. Looking at the france telecom website, it is definately there.I notice they want details of your primary residence. Will the UK address do?. Can you tell us what is involved after filling in the form.The reason I am asking is because my french leaves something to be desired and I wouldn't like to start something that I didn't understand the outcome.
Any further info would be most welcome
ihusker
Feb 2006
by Steve • Wed 28 Jan 2009 00:22
Hi ihusker

When we bought the house there was a landline installed in the property, but it was disconnected because the house had stood empty for a couple of years. I had no problem with the English speaking helpline setting up a Ligne Residence Secondaire.

I completed the application using the France Telecom on-line form and gave our UK address and phone number, squeezing it in to the requried boxes where necessary (give the Code Postale as 99999) Your UK phone number won't fit in the mandatory box, so I just shoved in our landline number minus the leading zero and forgot about the country-code (if they work for a telecoms company I'm assuming they can work out the IDD code! - I know - never make assumptions!!)

Anyway, once it is set up you need to register to have on-line billing. You can then log into your account via the internet and make requests to connect and disconnect your line by filling in an on-line form - no need to queue for the English speaking helpline each time!

You will need to persist with the FranceTelecom English-speaking helpline. I'm not sure how they might deal with converting from a standard line to a secondary residence one, depends if you are locked into a minimum contract period for the line you now have.

Hope this helps

Simon (& Steven)
Steve
Apr 2008
by ihusker • Wed 28 Jan 2009 18:00
Thanks for your help Steve. I think I will give the english speaking line another go and see what happens. I have had the line for about 6 years and they take their payments direct from my account like a direct debit so I don't think I would still be tied into a minimum contract.I'll let you all know how thing progress. regards, Ian
ihusker
Feb 2006
by Camperdown9 • Tue 17 Feb 2009 18:03
Hi

We bought our house in France in February 2008, after a year and massive mobile phone bills I have decided that its time for us to get a landline and onto the internet. Over the past year we spent around one week a month in the winter months and most of the summer in France. So I am guessing that we will go for just the regular minimum contract .

However does anyone know if and when I get through to the Telecom France english speaking line will I be able not just to arrange to get the phone switched on, but also to order an Orange livebox so that I can get the internet up and running?

Thanks

Alex
Camperdown9
Feb 2009
by Steve • Wed 18 Feb 2009 00:00
Hi Alex

Having not tried to get connected to the internet myself I cannot give you a definite answer, however, when you eventually do get through to someone on the English speaking helpline, they should be able to help you sort out most things. I suggest that you do some research on the FranceTelecom website first so you know what you are asking for and won't get sold something you don't want or need.

Simon
Steve
Apr 2008
by Camperdown9 • Wed 18 Feb 2009 15:34
Hi

I called the English speaking line this morning and spoke to a guy who sounded American. I wanted to arrange to get the landline connected and a livebox for my French house. It took about 30 mins but I now have an Orange or Telecom France file number and a telephone number.

For some reason they need to visit the house to reset the phone line and will do so next week. The guy I spoke to said that the livebox would be sent to my French address in 5 days. I asked for it to be sent to a friends house and they said no. However he did say that I would be able to collect it from the post office if I was not there. (When you collect something from a post office in France is it the same as in the UK, in that its not the post office but a collection office?)

What I am a bit confused about is that at one point the guy said that it would be connect in 5 days. Then he said that they would have to visit the house and reset the line (which is arranged for next week). Then he said it could take up to 15 days. So I don't really know when I will be able to use the phone in France. Has anyone any experience of how long it was before they could make calls?

I also think I might be paying more than I need to. I am going to be paying €46 per month for unlimited calls in France & within the EU, unlimited broadband, livebox rental & TV. I didn't really want the TV but it was the same price so just said yes. Has anyone got TV from Orange in France and if so what channels does the basic package give you?

Thanks

Alex
Camperdown9
Feb 2009
by Lynn • Fri 20 Feb 2009 00:15
Just a thought, the last time I had something kept at the post office, they only kept it for , I think 2 weeks and then returned it from whence it came!

Lynn
Lynn
Apr 2008
by YvetteandWil • Wed 25 Feb 2009 14:45
Hi

Have been reading all your points on TV, broadband and landlines.

Does anyone out there have any experience of UKtelecom, they offer a service in English to all. Seems reasonable at €29.50 per month but as yet have no experience of these services in France. However it does seem like a minefield!!!.

Moving out permanently to France in April so any advice would be gratefully received.

Many thanks in advance
Yvette :?
YvetteandWil
Feb 2009
by Lynn • Wed 25 Feb 2009 21:31
I recently changed to UKtelecom and am very happy with their service, loads cheaper than France telecom!
Lynn
Lynn
Apr 2008
by YvetteandWil • Mon 02 Mar 2009 12:21
I recently changed to UKtelecom and am very happy with their service, loads cheaper than France telecom!
Lynn
Hi Lynn

Thank you for this, I will call them back.

Yvette :)
YvetteandWil
Feb 2009
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions