Utilities for second homes
by sally watkins • Mon 13 Jul 2015 13:43

Hi there,

We're coming back to Creuse in September to make our second attempt at buying a holiday home. Can someone give me some rough idea of expected utility costs, such as water, drainage (if we're on mains) and electric please?

I've looked at tax foncier, tax habitiation and updating fosse septique and also at wood as fuel costs. But I wondered about the other general running costs as for a while we're only likely to be able to visit for a couple of months a year, one in summer and one in winter.

Thank you,

Sally

sally watkins
Jul 2015
Re: Utilities for second homes
by sally watkins • Mon 13 Jul 2015 18:47

Just see the very comprehensive EDF info posted on here. Apologies if this seems like I'm asking a question that's already been answered. I suppose I just wanted a rough estimate. Thanks

sally watkins
Jul 2015
by Creusebear • Tue 14 Jul 2015 19:07

Everyone will have different consumption based on size, heating and usage. We have a small 2 bed cottage, heat only by wood burner, we are over 3- 5 times a year and have a fosse. We are pretty basic on electrical items: water heater, towel rail, lights, fridge, freezer. Our annual electricity bill is in region of 200€ and water bill 50-100€.

Creusebear
May 2007
by sally watkins • Sat 18 Jul 2015 10:24

Thank you, that's really helpful. We'll be looking for something similar.
Sally

sally watkins
Jul 2015
by enzo • Sat 18 Jul 2015 11:47

Hi notaires have their own web site selling houses etc ,
no agency fees and not usually on any other web site..
well worth a look .

enzo
Jun 2011
by edmoraz • Tue 21 Jul 2015 08:58

We also have the second home phone and Internet package with orange that's about 50€ a month but you only pay when you activate it. We tend to use about 200€ worth of wood a year but we are building up a stock, our water is through the Marie and Is 59€ a year and we pay 34€ a month electricity. Hope this helps.

edmoraz
Feb 2008
by sally watkins • Wed 22 Jul 2015 17:56

Thanks for all this, it's really helpful. Having never owned a house before, anywhere, we're trying to be sensible. But the houses for sale are so amazing that it's difficult!

sally watkins
Jul 2015
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions