EDF price hike
by David_J • Tue 29 Jan 2013 13:13

I have just received my EDF electricity bill and it appears that the price of electricity has gone through the roof. I was not aware that a rise was due and would have expected to have read about it on Pont Noir if nowhere else.
Shown on my previous bill in November was a rate per Kwh of 0.0578 for HC and 0.0935 for HP before tax. Adding a TVA rate of 19.6% makes these figures 0.06913 and 0.1118.
The new rates are not shown on my January bill but from the EDF website it seems that the price has risen to 0.1048 and 0.1593 TTC respectively.
This is an increase of over 40%.
How is this justified when 84.7% of EDF's electricity is nuclear generated and thence not subject to rising carbon fuel prices. I accept that market forces dictate pricing to a degree but I cannot understand why the French are not up in arms about this.

David_J
Aug 2006
Re: EDF price hike
by RobertArthur • Tue 29 Jan 2013 21:53

These price rises have been debated over the last few years in the French newspapers and in the Assemblée nationale. This is what le Parisien had to say about it three years ago: pricelevel 24% higher in 2015. Two years ago the French consumer organisation Que Choisir wrote: the tariffs are going to explode. And a former pdg (2004-2009) of the EDF, Pierre Gadonneix, was forced by public opinion and the ruling class of politicians to resign. Why? Prices would have to go up with 20% in three years in order to realise all necessary investments.

So there has been more than one early warning for these price rises, probably all covered in The Connexion, but the moment of truth, la facture, is always an unpleasant surprise. Prepared or not.

Robert

RobertArthur
Mar 2009
by virtdave • Tue 29 Jan 2013 22:25

But electricity in France is (or was) rather cheaper than here in California. I suppose I should await my next EDF bill, and as I mentioned, my preferential EJP tarif has not (yet?) been cancelled. I have noticed that the REDF, which has really replaced the EDF in terms of service calls and the like, is pretty hard to deal with--tho I've had to get involved with them mostly wrt non-francophone friends' and neighbors' hassles recently. I did find it ominous when they mostly closed up their service facility in Aubusson....the nearest place seems now to be in Montluçon. The corresponding agency in California is called PG&E (Pacific Gas and Electric) and their tarifs are steep--though they've become quite reliable in restoring service after our traditional storm-related outages.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by Jeanne • Wed 30 Jan 2013 13:27

I knew that the price increase was effective from 1 January but I was not aware of such a steep increase.

We have our meter read every October and pay by prelevement monthly. They always send a review if you need to increase it and they haven't done and they don't like to be short so this has surprised me.

Jeanne
Jun 2010
by RobertArthur • Thu 31 Jan 2013 11:38

And some people pay even much more, because they responded to the latest EDF scam. Read all about it in le Parisien of this morning. An "EDF email" starting with:

"Votre paîement a été refusée par votre établissement bancaire. […] Pour éviter la pénalités de retard, nous vous donnant la possibilité de payer en ligne en utilisant votre carte bancaire"

If you don't take action, pay directly online, they threaten to cut off your electricity supply. Nice try of the internet pirates united, but no organisation ever asks by mail for your bank account details, passwords and what have you. This is not the way how secure payment online works.

The only action is to delete such emails immediately, do not open them, and don't click on any link. Additional problem: some official emails from the EDF look like they have been created in the early days of the personal computer, using MS-DOS as operating system, Wordstar or Word-Perfect and a dot-matrix printer.

EDF was very slow to react as usual, will their programmers and service clients ever learn. They have been targeted, sorry, their clients, for more than a year already, and their communication about it is too little, somewhere hiding in a hard to find backroom on their website, not on Google Maps, and always much too late. They invested a lot more time in promoting their smart meter called LINKY, than in the maintenance of their réseau électrique, their service clients and their ict development. The split between ERDF and EDF in 2008 has made matters worse: an ever increasing game of bureaucratic ping-pong between these two organisations, with the client in between. Who ever wins the game, he or she in the middle is always the loser.

Robert

RobertArthur
Mar 2009
by RobertArthur • Mon 18 Feb 2013 18:56

The price hike continues: the average bill in 2017 for the EDF clients in the tarifs bleus could be up to 30% higher than today. If we may believe the predictions of the Commission de régulation de l'énergie (CRE), published today.

Robert

RobertArthur
Mar 2009
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions