Selling my property without an agent?
by harveyj6 • Thu 27 Sep 2012 18:33

I have a modern property in the Languedoc. We have had the property advertised with a agent earlier this year but with the condition of the euro rate we decided to remove it from the market. We have now met up with a possible buyer, as a couple who have spent a fortnight in our property have said it's just what they are looking for.

Can anyone advise me what my first move should be? Naturally I would need to appoint a Notaire to handle the sale. I am also aware that I will need to pay CGT in France if I sell it for more than I paid for it. Can the Notaire deal with all the details and stages involved? And am I correct in thinking I may have to pay CGT in the UK too?

Any help and advice would be very much appreciated.

harveyj6
Sep 2012
Re: Selling my property without an agent?
by Dave • Thu 27 Sep 2012 19:04

The Notaire can and will handle everything for the sale including taking the French CGT if necessary. If you are a UK resident then any gain will be taxable there too (but any tax you pay in France can be set against it and you can use your normal UK CGT allowance anyway).

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
Re: Selling my property without an agent?
by Annik • Fri 28 Sep 2012 12:46

Make sure that the agent has no claim on the sale.

Some very good friends of ours are having terrible trouble with an agent who is claiming his fees from the sale of a house that had been with him but which he hadn't had any hand in actually selling to the eventual buyer. A lot of money is involved and it is causing them a great deal of anxiety.

They had missed a sentence in very small print on their agreement.

Good luck!

Annik

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions