Property for Sale Site - Scam
by andie • Fri 03 Feb 2012 14:35

Beware,
I advertised my house for sale on a particular site and thought it was great to start with as I received several enquiries.
It was initially a free site but they dont let you see the contact details of interested parties and if you try to give your direct contact details then they are blocked. So after you correspond a few times with interested people you need to pay to continue, surprise surprise after you do this the interested people stop all contact.
When you try to ring the company's office it goes to an answerphone with an African sounding lady saying the person you are trying to reach is unavailable please leave your details. (the head office is a London number).
I have spoken to other people using this site in different parts of France and they have had the same happen to them and the same named people have contacted them. I think this is a scam.
If you would like to know the name of the company please pm me.

andie
Oct 2007
Re: property for sale site scam
by Dave • Fri 03 Feb 2012 14:54

That's not good. Perhaps you should post the name of the site in question so that others are not caught out in the same way.

Most property sites will charge you a one-off fee up front - anything else should be treated with suspicion IMO.

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by andie • Fri 03 Feb 2012 18:25

Hello Dave
the name of the company is 4321.co.il
they are based in London.

andie
Oct 2007
by virtdave • Sat 04 Feb 2012 01:10

the URL of this company indicates it's based in Israel. That's a new one (for me)---I woulda guessed .si (Slovenia) or .ru (Russia), but this may just be personal prejudice--and of course where a website is based has little to do with where it is physically. If it is anywhere, really.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by Dave • Sat 04 Feb 2012 10:00

I suspect .co.il was the only domain that still had 4321 left to buy. The site is hosted in the UK (in Leeds). There is nothing that directly says this site is a scam, but a quick search does show that it is used by scammers. As it is hosted in the UK call Trading Standards and complain if you have an issue.

Personally, I would not use it, either to sell or to buy. Pay a few quid and place your advert on a well known site something like www.french-property.com or sell though a known agent, both of which are far more likely to find you genuine buyers. The first is a fixed up front fee and the second will only get paid when your house is sold. Selling is stressful enough, so don't add worry to it.

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
Re: Property for Sale Site - Scam
by David_J • Mon 31 Dec 2012 11:01

It really isn't difficult avoid the scams - if you keep your head and think. TANSTAAFL as I was taught is very true - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch!
Happy New Year to all.
David

David_J
Aug 2006
Re: Property for Sale Site - Scam
by kimosabi • Wed 02 Jan 2013 14:35

I agree with David J, if it's free there' a catch.

kimosabi
Jul 2010
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions