France Telecom English Speaking Number?
by Maggie • Sun 11 Dec 2011 01:13

Hi. We've had our holiday home complete with a 'ligne residence secondaire' phone for over 7 years now and it's great to have when we're over. Problem - it's becoming impossible to get through to France Telecom to connect us before we come and, even when we're in France, to suspend our service when we're leaving. You listen to the usual nonsense and then you used to be put on hold forever moving up the line till you got through to someone. NOW. after the usual stuff its 'I'm sorry but we're very busy please call back later, GOODBYE'. Later and they're still busy. Much later and they're still busy and so on....We had to get a friend who lives in France to get us connected before we came over last time. We phoned to suspend our phone whilst still in France and ended up pressing the button to say we had technical problems, (classed as a white lie) and got through to a charming Irish chap who told us he couldn't get through either but he would e-mail them our request to suspend the account and we would receive an e-mail in a few days confirming this. 3 weeks after returning home and we've just remembered that we haven't received a confirmation e-mail. AAAAggghh !! Now we have to phone on Monday and give more money to BT to try to suspend our France phone. Any suggestions for an easier way for next time? My French is so so and although I have made calls before in French, there's a service there in English for us to use that's obviously not working..

Maggie
Sep 2007
Re: France Telecom English Speaking Number ??
by virtdave • Sun 11 Dec 2011 05:01

I think it very much depends on what time of day you call. If you've not already done so, try when they open up in the morning (?0800h?). To minimise the line charges incurred while waiting, you might consider using [url=http://www..com/intl/en-us/home]Skype[/url] for the call.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by Maggie • Sun 11 Dec 2011 09:15

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I have become aware over the years that if you phone really early you get through quicker, but, for some reason even phoning first thing when their line opens has not been working lately. Maybe they actually were/are really busy - who knows. You'd think that connecting and disconnecting by e-mail would be the best way.

Maggie
Sep 2007
by RobertArthur • Sun 11 Dec 2011 10:51

FT decided more than a year ago to reshuffle tasks: it's now Orange taking care of the contacts with les chers clients. Probably their helpdesk room, once full of boys and girls eager to answer all your questions, is almost empty now. In September they reminded me, after early warnings, for the last time of these changes, sending me an email with the following text:

"Nous vous informons que le service < espace client France Télécom > va fermer définitivement au dernier trimestre 2011.
Pour continuer à gérer votre compte fixe (ou vos comptes fixes) et retrouver vos services, découvriez dès maintenant un environnement plus riche et plus convivial avec l'espace client Orange!
"

The website of Orange has this welcome text: Tous les services de Francetelecom.fr sont maintenant sur Orange.fr

There you can create a new Orange espace client, using your FT phone numbers. And find a special assistance page for your ligne fixe. There is also a recently updated pdf file with their helpdesk telephone numbers, including the English one. Print it, good to have a hard copy under your keyboard, just in case your internet connection goes down or starts acting up. By the way, once you have created your own espace client Orange, suspending or activating your ligne secondaire can be done in less than one minute: about four mouseclicks. You get a lightning fast confirmation by email of your proposed actions. Never had any problem, works with the precision of Swiss watchmakers.

English speaking helpdesk in France: 09 69 36 39 00. From outside France: 00 339 69 36 39 00.

Robert

RobertArthur
Mar 2009
by dissid32 • Sun 11 Dec 2011 14:08

Do you know what it means by a 'numero non surtaxe' as in 09 69 36 39 00 ?

Patrick
dissid32
Feb 2006
by RobertArthur • Sun 11 Dec 2011 14:28

Last year we have seen some attention in the French press for those wo want to earn some extra money with their helpdesks: Faut-il se méfier des numéros surtaxés ? Yes was the predictable answer, you should not trust everybody, and certainly not the 08 xxxxxx numbers. There is even a special website to check if companies with such an overcharged helpdesk line have another standard way of reaching them.

Numero non surtaxé simply means that they charge you a standard fee for connection costs:

Temps d’attente gratuit puis coût d’une communication locale depuis une ligne fixe France Télécom. Depuis la ligne d’un autre opérateur, consultez ses tarifs.
Le prix d’une communication locale depuis une ligne fixe France Télécom ou Orange internet en métropole est de 0,078€ par appel, puis 0,028€ par minute du lundi au vendredi de 8h à 19h hors jours fériés, et de 0,078€ par appel puis 0,014€ par minute le reste du temps. Depuis la ligne d’un autre opérateur, consultez ses tarifs.

Robert

RobertArthur
Mar 2009
by Maggie • Sun 11 Dec 2011 21:02

Thankyou Robert for the information. I'll follow your instructions and hopefully things will be easier. I remember getting that e-mail too but couldn't be bothered trying to translate it all and thought it was just junk mail (which they're quite good at dishing out).
Lesson in there somewhere?
Cheers
Maggie :-D

Maggie
Sep 2007
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions