Noise on a Sunday
by typhoo • Mon 30 May 2011 12:35

Can someone please set me right. What are the rules and regs about noise on a Sunday, i.e. cutting grass, strimming, DIY etc. I have had some conflicting answers. Don't want to be upsetting the neighbours, I will keep an eye in the future if any folks are doing suchlike around us. Thanks

typhoo
Aug 2008
Re: Noise on a Sunday
by RobertArthur • Mon 30 May 2011 14:19

Everywhere in France these regulations have been laid down in a so called Arrêté Préfectoral. Noise on sunday: from 10 to 12 o'clock. Sometimes local/regional modifications. Your mairie should know.

Robert

Standard text:

Les travaux de bricolage ou de jardinage réalisés par des particuliers à l'aide d'outils ou d'appareils susceptibles de causer une gêne pour le voisinage en raison de leur intensité sonore, tels que tondeuses à gazon à moteur thermique, tronçonneuses, perceuses, raboteuses ou scies mécaniques ne peuvent être effectué que :
- les jours ouvrables de 8 heures 30 à 12 heures et de 14 heures 30 à 19 heures 30,
- les samedis de 9 heures à 12 heures et de 15 heures à 19 heures,
- les dimanches et jours fériés de 10 heures à 12 heures.

RobertArthur
Mar 2009
by redburmese • Mon 30 May 2011 23:51

My neighbour mows all hours 'she finished the other night at 21.15 plus all over the easter hol 'sat 'sun 'and monday .

redburmese
Aug 2008
by lestroisours • Tue 31 May 2011 07:22

We have a farmer next door and you cannot expect him to stops just because it's sunday, the cows won't know what day of the week it is? :lol:

lestroisours
Oct 2007
by RobertArthur • Tue 31 May 2011 09:53

A farmer is a professional, not a particulier. The French text is self explaining: ...Les travaux de bricolage ou de jardinage réalisés par des particuliers.... Interesting question for the French authorities: what to do with hobby farmers?

Robert

RobertArthur
Mar 2009
by Annik • Tue 31 May 2011 09:54

It's interesting to read those regulations; I don't know what they are for our commune. We have always tended to be quiet all day on Sundays and to make a noise at other times. We didn't know about the wretched sacred French lunchtime - and note that it stretches between 2 and a half and 3 hours!!!!! Can you imagine another country saying you had to be quiet at lunchtime?

I suppose like all things, it's a question of moderation in all things and regulations to fall back on if someone is a real persistent pain in the neck.

Farmers are not the specified DIY-ers or gardeners affected by the regulations quoted, so I imagine they can make a noise all the time.

Annik

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
by virtdave • Tue 31 May 2011 21:23

I used to be annoyed by the long French lunch breaks, and once, when I called a store to find their hours, and being told they were open from 9 to 6, asked further if that meant they were open from noon to 2---the owner replied, "Bien sur que non, faut que je mange moi aussi." But I've come to see the wisdom of just stopping everything and relaxing for lunch at mid-day.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by redburmese • Tue 31 May 2011 23:20

So the woman mowing at all hours is not legal according to answers on here !

redburmese
Aug 2008
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions