House Insurance
by beetle • Mon 22 Nov 2010 17:00

Any tips or advise regarding house insurance.
A requirement when purchasing the house, but still in the dark as to what we are actually paying for?
It's the old language thing! :roll:

If you never find what you seek, you never wanted it badly enough in the first place.
beetle
Dec 2007
Re: House Insurance
by Sevy • Mon 22 Nov 2010 17:23

Hi Beetle
I used to have insurance with Allianz but everything was in French. I know it sounds daft when in France. I was never actually sure what I was paying for and if it met my requirements. This year I changed to Insurance through my bank's English speaking branch Britline they sent a summary of the insurance and have an English speaking help line. Contact me if you want the details.
Sevy

Sevy
Mar 2007
by Maria2009 • Mon 22 Nov 2010 19:00

Strictly speaking if you do not have a mortgage on the house it is NOT a legal requirement when purchasing. Our estate agent tried to get us to take it out - saying we had to - but when I challanged him he admitted he was wrong.

Saying that though, it is wise to have... if for example a tile blows off your roof in a storm and breaks a neighbours window you are liable for the window etc.

Maria2009
Apr 2009
by Annik • Tue 23 Nov 2010 00:04

We were conned into taking out house insurance with someone in the Indre who we later decided was a mate of the estate agent in Limoges. We kept this going for years but the service wasn't very good when we needed to claim, and we had the contents insured via our insurance agent in England. We found we were paying through the nose to them and paying things like VAT twice over. Then we discovered that if we went to the really nice insurance agent in Chenerailles, who was an acquaintance anyway and highly spoken-of by everyone we knew, we could have both house structure and contents policies with the same company, AXA, for about half the price.

I would say that you really do need insurance especially given the stormy nature of the Creuse and the damage that can happen during winter tempests and high winds. We have had quite serious damage to the roof twice over. And imagine what would happen if a falling tile sliced someone's head half off and they sued you for damages.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
by Jeanne • Tue 23 Nov 2010 06:44

We took out insurance initially with Generali who give you a copy of the contract in English but I didn't particularly like the agent so as we have a good relationship with our bank we went with Natio. The rates for insurance here are more favourable than the UK.

Purely personal but I wouldn't touch an English company. I feel safer with a French company.

As you say, there is often damage in the winter months.

Been lucky enough not to have to claim ourselves but both French and English friends have had to and I noticed that they certainly don't quibble and make a fuss like they do in the UK. All were paid out quickly.

Jeanne
Jun 2010
by Battie • Sat 27 Nov 2010 10:11

I have found a truly wonderful agent for Generali - he is in Bellac but travels quite a bit. His service is excellent and his English is good. If you need his details, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Annie

Battie
Nov 2010
by thetransporter • Sat 27 Nov 2010 13:11

@ Annik - I would also be very concened about 'paying the VAT twice over' - especially as VAT (or TVA) is not applicable to insurance !!!

thetransporter
Jan 2008
by Annik • Sat 27 Nov 2010 15:42

Actually, come to think of it, I think it was insurance tax twice over!

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
by beetle • Tue 30 Nov 2010 17:20

Thanks for the advice and we will be following it up.
Insurance is something which helps to give peace of mind. Who knows what sort of event may or may not
affect your property at any time of the year. Repair costs could set you back a few years.
Personal injury! I shudder to think of the consequences.
This reminds me of a freind of mine who had a keen interest in Mini Coopers. His pride and joy was parked off the road infront of his house.
One stormy night a large slate tile slid of the the roof cutting through the car roof embeding itself in the rear seats!
Early this year we noted quite a few properties near our house in France had lost tiles. Another had lost the entire barn roof,evidently the wind had access and worried the roof to death. Lets hope this winter is less destructive.

If you never find what you seek, you never wanted it badly enough in the first place.
beetle
Dec 2007
by ihusker • Tue 28 May 2013 15:39

Just renewed my house insurance for the UK and it got me thinking :( House insurance plus contents in London suburbs £135. House insurance plus contents in the wilds of the Creuse for a house a third of the value of UK house and negligible crime. Last year about €385. :o
Is this usual or should I think about changing my French house insurance. It's not due until November so I think I should be in time to request a cancellation from my existing company who are the one with the English speaking department. Any comments please?

ihusker
Feb 2006
by edmoraz • Wed 19 Jun 2013 07:34

It sounds a bit expensive to me but it does go on the square footage. I have just taken out new house insurance with AXA in Benevant, the bloke spoke good English ( he's only there in the mornings)and it was 200 euro, I had been using a UK firm before that and they wanted 300 pounds to renew.

edmoraz
Feb 2008
by virtdave • Wed 19 Jun 2013 09:19

We've used the AXA agency in Felletin for many years, both for the house/barn and the old Citroën. They've been fine. Long ago, when the millenium storm hit (on New Year's eve), and the roof of our hangar was whacked by a falling tree, they had it taken care of before we returned from the USA in May. Our cost (the franchise) was €150. You should find out how much the franchise amounts to in your policy.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by Annik • Wed 19 Jun 2013 23:25

We are with AXA in Chenerailles. The very nice chap is a friend of a friend, extremely helpful, and has cut our fees by half from what we were paying separately for the building and contents insurance. The building was previously insured by an agent in Chateauroux (don't ask why!!!) who had no local knowledge and really messed us about. The AXA guy lives here and knows when bad weather has hit because he's probably suffered too! I think it pays to go locally.

PS: Sorry, I realise I posted a fairly similar reply to this thread in 2010... See a long way above.

Annik
Jun 2007
by ihusker • Thu 20 Jun 2013 23:47

thanks for your replies. It appears that I am paying over the odds so I'll shop around for quotes.
It's not due until the end of the year so I have plenty of time to get quotes and inform my existing insurance co. I get the impression that AXA has some satisfied customers so I'll give them a call.

ihusker
Feb 2006
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions