Paying the deposit on a house
by pili-pala • Sat 23 Oct 2010 11:32

Hi, I am almost a proud owner of my french home :D but I was just wanting a bit of feedback about the following: :?:
I have signed the Compromis de Vente which was done throught the immobilier and the seller has also signed this. Now it's time to send the deposit and I'm to send it to the immobilier. I thought that this would be sent to the notaire and not the estate agents as it is more than their fees. Is this normal practice?
Has anyone else had this experience and was it pain free? Maybe I am being over worried but what sort of security is there to say that the agents pass the remainer of the deposit (after they've taken their fees out) on to the notaire?
The estate agents are an established agents and are based in Eymoutiers and I'm sending a bank transfer to their bank account.
I'd love to hear anyone's opinion on this.
Many thanks

pili-pala
Apr 2010
Re: Paying the deposit on a house
by datz • Sat 23 Oct 2010 11:39

We have had the same experience. But we were using an english based solicitor and they checked that the account we were paying into was an "escrow" account (compte sequestre) and was protected by a financial guarantee. You could ask them to confirm this.

datz
Jul 2007
by lavaufranche • Sat 23 Oct 2010 14:17

Our deposit (10%) was paid to the Estate Agent. being held in a segregated account. We ensured that they were properly licensed. The balance was paid to the Notaire. Allow plenty of time to move monies. Our purchase was a pretty relaxed affair from offer in March to completion in Sept.
Very exciting times = good luck

lavaufranche
Nov 2006
by cmchsmjm • Sat 23 Oct 2010 15:27

We were all set to pay our deposit to the immobilier when we were at her office signing the compromis but were told that no deposit was needed!! We paid the notaires fee just before the final lump for the house and actually received a refund from the notaire a few months after completion!

The whole process was stress free and enjoyable.

cmchsmjm
Jan 2010
by Annik • Sat 23 Oct 2010 20:45

We also got refunds from the notaire, which astounded us. I think they must go for an initial round figure and then adjust it afterwards.

Annik

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
by pili-pala • Sun 24 Oct 2010 15:14

Thank you to everyone for their comments.
I have checked the information that the immobilier sent me and it does say "compte sequestre" next to the account details but I'll call on Monday just to double check.
It is all very exceiting but nerve wracking at the same time. We (me, hubby, baby and cats) are moving out permenatly so can't wait to start our new life in France.
Bye for now, but I'll be back as I'm sure I'll have loads more things to ask about!! :lol:

pili-pala
Apr 2010
by kimgriff • Tue 26 Oct 2010 00:32

Hi we paid our deposit to the agents all stress free and no hassle we then got a refund from the notaire about a month after. We have been french house owners almost 2 years and spend what time we can out there. Hope all oes well for you, we are not far from Emoutiers, we are near Borgeneuf
Kim

kimgriff
Aug 2008
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions