Re: Heures Creuses off New Meter
by RobertArthur • Thu 23 Sep 2010 14:41

Heures creuses, a lot more expensive after the EDF tariff changes mid august. this year. The French website "60 millions de consommateurs" did some recalculating. Only families with children and electric heating seem to benefit. Have a look at their examples. You 'll have to double or triple your annual electricity consumption to make it the better option, the heures creuses tarif!

Kind regards,

Robert

RobertArthur
Mar 2009
Re: Increased Tariffs for Heures Creuse
by Dave • Mon 27 Sep 2010 10:36

For most people (who will have the normal 9kVA supply) the increase isn't that much, the break even point rising from 5200kWh to 5710kWh - or about a 10% rise.

Basically if you use less than 5710KWh per year then there is no benefit to you in having Heures Creuse. Although this can vary depending on the percentage of electricity that you can use during the HC period. This example is based on you using a 1/3 of your usage in this cheap period and for many people even that will be difficult or inconvenient to achieve.

The bad news comes for those with a different supply. 6kVA, 12kVA and 15kVA all have huge rises in the amount of electricity you must use to break even (the worst is 6kVA where the break even point was 3743 and is now 11009 which is a huge increase). If you have this supply and use more than about 6000kVA it will pay you to switch to the more normal 9kVA because you'll pay less. In fact unless you use all your electricity in the middle of the night, there doesn't seem any benefit at all to having HC with a 6kVA supply since you'll be better off without it or switching to a more powerful supply.

Those on 12kVA supplies or more with HC should consider if they can lower their use to 9kVA (which most people can do even with electric heating), perhaps with careful management or the installation of a Délesteur to automatically switch off non critical circuits as total draw reaches 45A. The saving you'd make over a year would, I expect, more than cover your investment.

In the end I think EdF is trying to push people towards the norm which is fair enough, although it is a little sad to see lower rated supplies penalised so heavily, however just because you have 9kVA doesn't mean you have to use it (I never come close to it).

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by Jeanne • Mon 27 Sep 2010 19:31

I find electricity prices here pretty good. In fact, so much so, that we are only installing a wood burner for a back up (less dust and effort) but keeps the cosy effect.

Proper electric radiators are very economical, providing of course you have excellent insulation.

Although we have hours creuse I am not very good at remembering to set the washing machine or dishwasher to come on early in the morning, so I don't think it will make a huge difference to us.

Jeanne
Jun 2010
by David_J • Tue 28 Sep 2010 10:57

Hi all,
HELP.
I heat with 4 x 2Kw storage heaters, 4 x 2kw thermostatically controlled on demand 'panneau rayonnant' electric heaters which are on timers for the bedrooms plus a couple of towel rails and a huge hot water cylinder.
I have a 15kVa HP/HC supply and (from the totals on my last EDF bill) use around 20k kw/hr per year.
Can anyone work out the tariff implications for a thicko like me?
David_J

David_J
Aug 2006
by Dave • Tue 28 Sep 2010 11:43

With 20,000KWh used annually, you should be well above the break even point and so it's most likely still cheaper for you to stay with HC. This does depend a bit on the ratio of HC/HP so I can't be certain without knowing how many of the 20,000kWh are on HC.

Dropping down to 9kVA doesn't look viable for you if all those things will be on at the same time, but you could reduce to 12kVA with a little power management.

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by David_J • Tue 28 Sep 2010 12:20

Thanks Dave
This confirms what I had thought and FYI, even in summer the HC units are higher than the HP.
I'll stay on 15kVa though because even with timers stopping the on demand heating from coming on in the HC there are times when the whole lot goes pants and I have to switch something off and reset.
David_J

David_J
Aug 2006
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions