Using a Déchèterie
by cmchsmjm • Thu 08 Aug 2019 10:01

I have only ever visited our local Déchèterie (Genouillac) with a neighbour who sadly passed away a few years ago.
Can I just turn up and dispose of items or will I need to show some identification, proof that I have a house here etc?

cmchsmjm
Jan 2010
Re: Using a Déchèterie
by virtdave • Thu 08 Aug 2019 11:49

Ask at your local Mairie--in our commune (St-Georges-Nigremont) one must get a card from the local trash authority, and to get the card we had to fill out and send in a formulaire supplied by the mairie. The card arrived quite quickly. For arcane reasons of French bureaucracy, our déchèterie is over in the Puy de Dôme, near Giat. Be sure to verify the business hours of your déchèterie, they can be bizarre.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by rictel • Thu 08 Aug 2019 13:03

I use the one at Genouillac and although we have cards I have never been asked for it & there is no barrier where you drive in & out. If it's your first time it may be prudent to take a piece of id with your address on it .

rictel
Dec 2007
by Creusebear • Thu 08 Aug 2019 18:09

Our nearest is not our 'official' déchèterie and I keep expecting them to ask for ID as I have seen done in other areas. So far so good, but with a change (again) to the refuse collections service (apparently it is now weighed per household) I keep expecting to be challenged. We're off there tomorrow, so fingers crossed!!
I read in The Bugle that they are also limiting the number of times you can take garden waste to the dump which seems odd. Apparently it is to encourage composting.

Creusebear
May 2007
by virtdave • Thu 08 Aug 2019 18:48

The regulations change every time a bureaucrat comes up with some new way to pester folks. Last year, we just needed a little sticker to show we were residents of our commune, this year (as above) one needs a card. YMMV, so do check with your local mairie before you go to avoid being unduly annoyed when you get to the dump.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by Dave • Thu 08 Aug 2019 21:40

This has changed a lot over the years. I used to have to go the the Maire to get the key to the dump to let myself in years ago. I've never been asked for ID or needed a card but I haven't been for a little while and it would not surprise me if I did need one now, esp. if they are starting to charge for bin emptying by the weight of your rubbish. Normally the people are nice and helpful and as long as you have something with your French address on (like a bill) I expect it'll be OK at least that time. Perhaps check in your commune magazine (if you have one) as it's sure to be explained in there.

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by Creusebear • Fri 09 Aug 2019 11:17

Well, I can report back that nothing has changed at our local déchèterie and no-one was bothered about ID. As usual, the lads were on hand to help with unloading the car (that doesn't happen at home - they just stare blankly as we struggle on our own) and showing us where everything goes, and as usual there were a couple of chineurs on the look-out for anything that could turn a euro at a brocante (that also doesn't happen at home - you can't take anything that has been left by someone else - they get very shirty). There is quite a little socio/economic micro-climate down there!

Creusebear
May 2007
by cmchsmjm • Fri 09 Aug 2019 16:12

I will pop down to our local Déchèterie tomorrow afternoon an see what happens. Speaking to a neighbours last night, they suggested that the evolis23 card might be useful as a means of identification...I wonder if the fact that I will be in a car with UK plates will make a difference?!

cmchsmjm
Jan 2010
by Creusebear • Sat 10 Aug 2019 12:42

Report back!
And Virtdave - thanks of the text speak lesson! - I had to look up YMMV! :-?

Creusebear
May 2007
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions