New Rubbish and Recycling Bins
by Dave Tue 07 Nov 2017 10:59

Creuse has been chosen as part of a trail of a new rubbish and recycling system. This was supposed to be introduced in time to start in the New Year but it seems to have been delayed a bit. They were going to stop collecting rubbish from the old bins from 01 January 2018 but I don't think that is likely now.

A nice couple called around a month or so ago and we choose our new bin sizes. We took a large recycling bin and the smallest rubbish bin. You don't pay for recycling but pay a little less for empting a smaller rubbish bin, and we have little rubbish, this seemed best. The new idea is that all bins are chipped and you pay, not by the weight or amount, but by the number of times it is emptied. I'm not clear exactly how this is going to work but we'll only put our rubbish bin out when it is full and that won't be very often so it might even save us a little.

The new company évolis23 left a one page document about it together with a yellow sticker for us to leave on our postbox - although we didn't fancy that so phoned up instead to be told is was delayed and to check with the Marie. We did and they knew nothing more other than it's off until next year.

Has anyone actually received new bins yet?

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
Re: New Rubbish and Recycling Bins
by Ricardo Tue 07 Nov 2017 22:01

We received ours a few weeks ago. Similar to you we have one large recycling bin together with a small rubbish bin. The information, that was left with our neighbour, explained the new system and as far as I have been told the collections will start in January. As we are not permanent residents, I wonder if the lack of use of the bins will mean a reduction on our local taxes. Some hope!

Ricardo
Jul 2009
by Dave Wed 08 Nov 2017 09:18

That's the idea, but I expect it won't save you very much, since there is still a standing charge and the recycling to be emptied anyway.

tbh it all seems like a bit of a faff and something that will encourage fly tipping.

The cost of giving everyone two new bins and the systems to manage them will most likely outweigh any savings made from processing less rubbish.

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by Creusebear Sat 11 Nov 2017 15:00

We've heard from a neighbour that our new 'puce'd' bins have been delivered. After a telephone consultation we were advised to take the smaller sizes but I worry that I should have gone for a larger size for the 'recyclables'. Water bottles take up a lot of space even when squished. I am thinking we will have to do the odd delivery straight to the 'dechetterie' will they then weigh it and add it to our 'facture'? It seems a laudable enterprise to encourage us all to consider how much we are throwing away and I'm all for paying less but I don't see how the cost of managing it is going to mean lower bills.

Creusebear
May 2007
by rictel Sun 12 Nov 2017 11:07

The recyclable collection is the free part so if you need to take any excess the the dechetterie I'm thinking that should be free, it's the general waste that will be charged for. We got our bins a few weeks ago together with a pack which included a card to use at the dechetterie which i thought was a card to get into the site but having looked at the booklet which came with it, i now think it is a chipped card which gives access to the general waste bins in case you run out of room in your personal bin at your house. It is chipped with your personal number so that they can add it to your "bill". I was told that the recyclables will be collected weekly but, excluding summer months , the general waste only once a fortnight as it is now & as they encourage you to take the smallest bin it seems likely that the card will get a fair bit of use.

rictel
Dec 2007
by kenwildon Thu 16 Nov 2017 11:47

Our new bins arrived about 6 weeks ago. There will be a charge (from 2019 as I understand it) for each time the lorry 'lifts' your waste bin but no charge for recycling bin. Our hamlet will also have a communal larger bin which you will use your plastic card to open for any other excess waste. Also a communal recycling bin which will be free. They have also asked for a communal compost bin.

If you don't have enough waste in your bin for a collection simply don't put it out. Ideal for those of us with maisons secondaires. (Wish it worked the same in UK :P )

Once the pattern has been set in 2018 the charges will take effect from Jan 2019 with an offset against your Taxe Fonciere as I read it. It's not seen as a way to raise more money but more a way of reducing land fill costs and improving recycling rates.

Apparently, although improving, France is still at the lower end of the European Recycling Target.

As I understand it there have been a couple of Departements selected nationally for this experiment and not all communes in Creuse are included.

Of course, I could be wrong? :oops:

kenwildon
Nov 2007
by Freezerbill Fri 17 Nov 2017 09:28

I have recently moved out of the Creuse (April) sorry but I couldn't find what I wanted in the Creuse. We are just over the border in Indre and we have had the letters re bins and they are due to arrive in the next few weeks. I our commune we we given bin bags to be put at the end of the lane each week. Some folks here are not too happy re new bins and charges

Freezerbill
Mar 2014
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions