Where's the nearest A&E?
by dikdok • Fri 25 Apr 2014 12:48

Is there any form of A&E department near Aubusson? My wife has an ankle injury which we think needs xraying but don't want to go all the way to Gueret. We are near Auzances so possibly Montlucon may be nearer - can we just go on spec without seeing a GP first? (we are not resident so not registered with a GP)

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the great ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
dikdok
Jun 2005
Re: Where's the nearest A&E?
by virtdave • Sat 26 Apr 2014 06:56

The Croix Blanche just outside Aubusson has (or had, last time we were there last fall) an A&E service--perhaps worthwhile calling first. The orthopedist there, Dr. Mallet, is excellent, but check to see when he's on duty.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by dikdok • Sat 26 Apr 2014 11:24

Thanks for that, Dave. Someone else suggested the Croix Blanche, but when I Googled it it appeared to have been downgraded and most services transferred to Gueret. I will try to check however.

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the great ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
dikdok
Jun 2005
by dissid32 • Sun 27 Apr 2014 11:18

I don't know how urgent it is for your wife to see someone, but might I suggest that you go via a GP anyway, rather than go all the way to Montlucon or Gueret on spec, though they must have an A&E. Mme Tardieu in Mainsat speaks very good English. I don't know about doctors in Auzances, but there are sure to be some. If you take your international health card I'm sure whoever will see you and probably give you a prescription to take to whichever hospital for an Xray. It's all a bit bureaucratic, as you might expect. They need to make sure that they're going to get paid. That's if you've got the time to get an appointment etc. Otherwise just go straight to one of the hospitals and take your chance. (And your crdit card.)

Patrick
dissid32
Feb 2006
by Pamski • Mon 28 Apr 2014 09:53

We used the xray facility at la Croix Blanche last summer, after a referral from a local GP, even though we're not registered. It was pretty quick, though not an emergency.

Pamski
Sep 2011
by dissid32 • Mon 28 Apr 2014 11:10

I tried googling the Croix Blanche just out of interest this morning and found it quite difficult to find any useful information about it, apart from where it is. However, there was an article from La Montagne which I understood to be saying that the radiography is still there and they are also going to get a scanner.
I should be interested to find out how this turns out. Perhaps you'll let us know.

Patrick
dissid32
Feb 2006
by Dave • Mon 28 Apr 2014 14:06

According to hopital.fr there are A&E (Urgences) services at both Guéret and Aubusson, although only Guéret has full facilities.

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by enzo • Mon 28 Apr 2014 14:16

How's your wife?

enzo
Jun 2011
by dikdok • Mon 26 May 2014 13:08

Sorry, Enzo, never got back to you. She (we) decided to sit it out for a few days and as I expected it settled down a bit, so eventually we just got by with painkillers and rest. The main worry was that she'd had a massive fracture of the foot a few years ago so it was hard to tell if she'd done any damage or not.
Back in UK got it xrayed just to be sure & all looks OK.
Thanks for your concern.

dikdok
Jun 2005
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions