french health system
by edmoraz • Sat 01 Mar 2014 10:14

Recently we were fortunate enough to take an early retirement package and will be moving to our french holiday home on a perminant basis in the near future. We will not be working in france and be living off our government pensions so therefore not paying tax in france. As we are both in our mid fifties would we be able to join the french system and if so how .

edmoraz
Feb 2008
Re: french health system
by dissid32 • Sun 02 Mar 2014 11:08

I think if you go to the Exclusive Healthcare site they have some useful information. Also, even though you won't be working in France, you will still have to register with the tax authorities and make a return each year, even if you end up paying nil tax.

Patrick
dissid32
Feb 2006
Re: french health system
by fishsw • Thu 08 May 2014 19:58

We were in the same situation. For 2 years we had access based on my NI contributions as I was working in the UK right up until we moved to France. You need to contact your local CPAM (Caisse Primaire d'Assurance Maladie). After that we had no entitlement and had to take out complete private health cover - very expensive but vital in case of hospitalisation. Suggest you seek proper advice on this as you will need to build it into your budget. Once you have been permanent residents for 5 years you can rejoin - we are in the process of doing this now and of course it is a nightmare bureaucratically! The Connexion do a very useful guide to the French Health System - http://www.connexionfrance.com.

fishsw
Apr 2010
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions