Paying for district nurse
by Annik • Thu 20 Sep 2012 20:58

By Murphy's Law I am in bed with viral pneumonia at the moment - caused according to my dear French friends because I sat in the cold church at La Tour in dreaded courants d'aire (it was actually very nice in there) during the Journées du Patrimoine. I had actually got it long before that, unknowingly, and chosen to treat it with glasses of hot orange juice, whisky and honey. This concoction didn't work but it was nice!

The doctor has prescribed me a vast amount of medicine (123 euros-worth) to take and this includes the district nurse coming in every day for 8 days with an intravenous dose of antibiotics.

My question is: do you get charged for the district nurses' services? We have the EHIC card and have also paid for years for top-up medical insurance and presumably will be claiming on both. I wouldn't know where to allocate this charge if there is one.

Annik

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
Re: Paying for district nurse
by thetransporter • Thu 20 Sep 2012 21:34

Ask your district nurse, or indeed any healthcare professional - including your local pharmacist - they will be able to help you.

The service has undergone a lot of changes as recently as the 1st September, appertaining to payments & reimbursement procedures , (with many more planned) so I am unwilling to give you my initial answer, as it may be out of date now!

Good luck & get well soon !

thetransporter
Jan 2008
by dissid32 • Fri 21 Sep 2012 21:40

I don't really understand your situation. Have you got a Carte Vitale?

Patrick
dissid32
Feb 2006
by ihusker • Fri 21 Sep 2012 23:38

The short answer is: yes you are charged and will be asked to pay on the last visit from the nurse, but you can reclaim a percentage back via the cpam office in Gueret. I know from first hand experience as, in July, I was taken ill, went to a doctor and ended up in hospital for 10 days to have an atrophied gall bladder removed. After leaving hospital I had the district nurse call every day for 15 days. You will find that everyone, the doctor, chemist, nurse and hospital will bill you.You have to show them your EHIC card and they will give you an official receipt which is presented to the cpam office for a refund. All the details are on the EHIC web site and it tells you what to do. I also had blood tests and 2 consultant's examinations which had to be paid for, so the bills soon mount up.

I haven't put my claim in yet as I'm still waiting for the final bill from the hospital to arrive. I expect it to be a good few thousand euros, but they saved my life, so, in the scheme of things, the treatment I got was outstanding and I thank my lucky stars it happened here and not back in the UK, where my wife had a similar, simple gall bladder operation and it took 18months on the NHS.

ihusker
Feb 2006
by Annik • Sat 22 Sep 2012 09:26

Thanks very much, ihusker. That was very helpful.

Hi Patrick - We don't live here all the time so therefore we aren't covered by a carte vitale. We have an EHIC card and top-up holiday insurance.

Annik

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
by dissid32 • Sat 22 Sep 2012 09:59

I think that probably ihusker has covered the ground pretty thoroughly. Being a bona fide Carte Vitale holder I'm not au fait with your situation and can't really comment, and I don't understand between what and what the top-up insurance pays and what the EHIC pays, so I'll say no more.

Patrick
dissid32
Feb 2006
by Annik • Sun 30 Sep 2012 12:24

Can you just send all the papers to CPAM at Gueret and ask them to deal with it by post? We are going back to England on Tuesday morning and haven't got time to go personally. Out of interest, the district nurses' bill was just about 100 euros for eight visits but we didn't get it until Friday so we couldn't take any reclaiming action before.

There seems to be a mini-epidemic of viral pneumonia round here at the moment, so do be aware of it if you go down with a bug that seems unusual then suddenly find your lungs full of rubbish. I could hear mine squeaking when I breathed out. The nurses said they were being kept really busy going round to patients with bronchial symptoms.

I am usually completely hale and hearty and initially wouldn't dream of going to the doctors with what I thought was a strange cold that would go away of its own accord. It has really knocked me back, but I'm lucky. The 75-yr-old husband of a friend of ours collapsed with it in the night a couple of days ago and had to be rushed to hospital.

Annik

Annik
Jun 2007
by virtdave • Sun 30 Sep 2012 13:47

wife and I both were hit with what sounds like the bronchitis you describe, lasted for weeks and really wrung us out. Lots of folks down in this part of Creuse had it (including the district nurse!). It really sounded like an adult form of bortadella (whooping cough in kids) though as far as I know no such diagnosis was made in anyone. Bortadella is particularly hard to diagnose, since the bacterium is hard to culture, and it may just be a notion of mine anyhow. But if any kids develop similar symptoms, don't hesitate to get medical help. Antibiotics can help, but must be given early in the course of the illness. It often starts with URI (cold-like) symptoms, and is not much associated with fever. Almost all kids in France do get vaccinated for pertussis (one more name for whooping cough)--though the vaccine is not 100% effective, it's important, since it does attenuate if not prevent the disease.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by Annik • Sun 30 Sep 2012 16:29

Thanks for that, Virtdave - you sound spot on, as always.

I hope you are both feeling better now (and the district nurse!).

Annik

Annik
Jun 2007
by ihusker • Sun 04 Nov 2012 22:33

Having taken all my receipts down to the cpam office in Gueret a couple of weeks ago, I have since got a further bill for my board and lodgings in the hospital amounting to €198. As I was leaving to return to UK later in the week I sent off a cheque but of course I didn't get a receipt back before I left. I'm just hoping it is in the post box when I return in March and the snails haven't eaten it.
I'm just wondering if I can still claim after 5 months and, indeed, whether a percentage of the hospital accommodation costs is refundable.

ihusker
Feb 2006
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions