Pont Noir

Live Life in Creuse

Tick Bite
by pili-pala • Wed 09 May 2012 10:34
Hi,
If bitten by a tick and it has all been removed, do I need to go to the doctor?
I'm aware of Lymes Disease so just want to know what is the normal procedure here as ticks seem to be everywhere at the moment.
Thanks any input would be appreciated.
Is it "la" or is it "le"?
pili-pala
Apr 2010
Re: Tick Bite
by Dave • Wed 09 May 2012 10:47
I've been bitten a few times and only went to the doctor once (because the head of the tick came off and was stuck in my skin - he cut it out).

Normally there should be no need to go, but if you have the symptoms of Lyme disease esp. red rings around the bite or joint pain (see this for a full list of symptoms) then you should go. Go anyway if you are stressed about it.
Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by edmoraz • Wed 09 May 2012 11:40
Ticks worry me but to my knowedge I have never been bitten, are they easy to spot if they bite you, can you feel a bite?
edmoraz
Feb 2008
by Dave • Wed 09 May 2012 11:59
I didn't feel anything, but found the ticks munching away and so pulled them off. The bites were sore afterwards for a day or so, but nothing serious.
Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by pili-pala • Wed 09 May 2012 13:07
Many thanks for the info.
In just over a year in our household we have all managed to catch ticks, but we have found them pretty quickly and pulled them out using the o'tom twisters which work great. However, being more aware of Lyme Disease have got more worried that we should be visiting the dr even though from what I read they will only give antibiotics if infected plus I'm against the over use of antibiotics anyway so it's a bit of a catch 22.
We have a land all around us with no animals on but the ticks ARE still there. The main problem I think at the moment is due to all of the rain we have not been able to cut any of the grass so it is long and it would seem that this is ideal for ticks.
A couple of years ago when I was 7 month pregnant I was bitten whilst visiting France so as you can imagine none to pleased about it. The ticks tend to itch when they have bitten but not always the case. It was removed whole and thankfully no problems from it.
Best advice I can think of is to check yourself over at the end of a day- it's a pain to remember but worth it.
pili-pala
Apr 2010
by Jeanne • Wed 09 May 2012 16:25
I take great pleasure in putting them in a dish and burning them to make them explode.

I hate them and usually check the dogs quickly when they come back from their walks. I have been fortunate so far never to have had one get me.
Jeanne
Jun 2010
by TournesolKate • Wed 09 May 2012 18:51
I had one on my hip a couple of years ago. I noticed it when I was in the shower in the morning and the hot water made it sting. I must have gotten it the previous day, when I was out walking the dogs.
I got it off with one of those twisty things and cleaned the area thoroughly, it was a bit red and sore for a couple of days, but otherwise fine.
I read that Lymes disease can only be contracted if the tick is attached for a certain amount of time (I think 16 hours) Does anyone know if this is true?
I'm taking ticks off the cats nearly every day at the moment!
TournesolKate
Oct 2008
by lestroisours • Wed 09 May 2012 20:42
I had the most miniscule of ticks (less than 3mm) attach itself to the inside of my thigh, so small that I hadn't seen it until it was too late. I pulled it off, but after 24 hours I began to see a significant 2 cm red ring around the central site of the original bite. Worse still, was that the lymph glands in the left side of my groin became hard and inflamed. So 10 days of penicillin followed, and the site of the bite turned septic and swollen like a boil. It eventual healed, but with a 1 cm scar. A subsequent blood test revealed nothing of concern however. Left without treatment I have no doubt that this situation could have be severe.
When cutting leylandii and other trees, wear long sleeves, and tight fitting clothing around the neck, wrists and ankles. These little beasts can be dangerous, so do check your skin after gardening, espcially if you live in a deer-frequented area, or have fun checking each other if you wish.
“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.” ~ Charles Darwin
lestroisours
Oct 2007
by pili-pala • Wed 09 May 2012 22:39
Lestroisours- what a horrible thing to happen, good to hear that it has not cased any further problems.
pili-pala
Apr 2010
by noxando • Wed 09 May 2012 23:01
I'm told that not all ticks carry the disease. Our doctor says that treatment must be given only if the bite develops the red rings otherwise its a moneymaking exercise.
noxando
Feb 2008
by dahean • Tue 15 May 2012 19:59
exactly right folks..........red ring or bruising around the bite is a sign of lymes infection. I had one about 5 years ago. I was lucky our neighbour spotted it and told me to go to doctors (france). Spent the next few weeks not being able to eat cheese !!!
At the time I was informed that you must take antibiotics within 7 days of the bite or they may not work. My UK doctor didnt even know what it was and tried to send me away without a blood test. I say tried.....I have the antibodies in my system but have had no related complications luckily. yahoo groups has a very good resource for this if anyone is worried.
dahean
Jul 2008
by virtdave • Wed 16 May 2012 22:17
Because the symptoms of Lyme disease are so varied, and can mimic many other disorders, and because the blood tests for it on humans are quite unreliable, there's lots of worry about it, much of it needless. We have Lyme disease in California, but only about 1% of ticks there carry it....not sure what the percentage is in France...and it's a somewhat different tick species in California---nonetheless, here are some things to keep in mind:
The tick must be attached at least 24 hours (probably rather longer) for it to transmit the disease;
The borrelia (the cause of the disease) lives in the midgut of the tick, so avoid squeezing the tick when you remove it, to avoid injecting the tick's midgut contents into the victim;
The characteristic 'target lesion', (or 'bull's-eye lesion')which indicates one has indeed been infected, appears after 3 days at earliest (typically more like 7 days, but up to 30 days). An immediate bee-sting-like or mosquito-bite-like reaction is not typically a 'target lesion', and if you get such an immediate reaction you should consider yourself lucky, since it can call immediate attention to the critter;
Although most ticks are easily visible, some are tiny, and if you do develop a 'target lesion', seek medical attention;
A study a few years ago in the New England Journal of Medicine reported that a one-time treatment with 200 mg. of doxycycline was as effective as longer antibiotic courses, if you do get a 'target lesion'--the antibiotic should be taken promptly if such a lesion appears;
Although leaving the tick's head embedded is nasty, it's not really dangerous--digging for it is painful and frustrating, and although cutting the head parts out may be gratifying, it's unnecessary--it'll eventually probably work its way out, though this may take some time;
The easiest method for removal, in my experience, is to use one of the little plastic slotted-fork gizmos, sold by vets and in most pharmacies....opinions vary as to whether twisting the tick with the device is necessary....I just pull straight out, slowly but firmly, after having slipped the device well under the tick. It usually will let go without breaking. I enjoy flushing them down the toilet....
virtdave
Sep 2008
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions