Dentist & Doctor Recommendations Please
by Isabel • Sun 31 Aug 2008 15:40

We have just returned to the UK after a lovely 4 weeks at our house on the Creuse / Indre border near Aigurande. During the holiday I developed tooth ache & decided to visit a dentist there rather than endure the possibly worsening discomfort for the rest of the holiday.

We had some difficulty finding a dentist that was not on holiday, but when found (in a town 30 mins away) an appointment was readily available. I can't criticise the nature of the treatment that I recieved or the cost (much cheaper than NHS dental charges, even taking into account the price of 4 lots of medication), however there were a few things that would make me reluctant to return that that particular person:
- lack of explanations / informed consent
- lack of infection control: no gloves, mask or goggles. I realised why he was chewing gum when I tasted the tabacco on his fingers!!!! He answered the phone & then put his hand back in my mouth without washing.

Is this type of experience the norm in France?
Can anyone recommend a dentist & doctor should future needs arise?

I will be taking surgical gloves with me next time we go to France & working out in advance how to ask for them to be worn!

Isabel

Isabel
Nov 2007
Re: Dentist & Doctor Recommendations Please
by Tenryu • Mon 01 Sep 2008 10:13

Hi,

Unfortunately, I had a bad experience with a dentist in Felletin, who lacked of infection control: no gloves, mask or goggles just as you said. But the worse was that he tried to empty a sick tooth without anesthesics.

I have had many teeth operations, and never ever this have happened to me, I was stupefied when he said "yes, but the lower theeth one cannot anesthesiate", then he fired me from his place just like a dog. My tooth was half empty, and it later got a serious infection.

When talking to people, I heard similar reports concerning this guy, and it was explained to me that many people around here do endure such dentists because they know nothing else ...

I finally found a very good dentist at Bourganeuf, his name is Vincens Guy. I recommend him, and I recommend you don't go at any other dentist in Creuse least you know enough about him.

Take care !

Tenryu
Jun 2006
by scottie • Mon 01 Sep 2008 17:18

I go to Mr Granvarlet, the dentist in Gueret, along from the post office, and he is very nice. If he thinks he is hurting you he will stop and he always wears gloves and a mask. He doesn't speak English but if he really does have trouble understanding you he phones his wife and she speaks to you!
I use Dr Reix in Bonnat for a doctor as he speaks English and is also very nice. Be prepared to wait all morning to see him as it is first come first served unless you arrange an evening appointment.

scottie
Mar 2007
by Annik • Tue 02 Sep 2008 00:11

We have only heard horror stories from our fulltime resident friends about Creusois dentists so if somebody recommends one, thank your lucky stars and go to him/her.

I think one look at the state of most not-very-well-off people's teeth in the Creuse speaks volumes about the lack of good dentistry (and the cost of it, presumably) in these parts. In spite of the problems with the NHS, you rarely see British people going round with badly decayed or missing teeth, do you? Many British oldies have false teeth (my old auntie had her teeth out as a 21st birthday present!!!!) but most French peasant oldies I can think of have hardly a tooth in their heads.

Annik

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
by jasmine • Tue 02 Sep 2008 11:44

We use a dentist in Gueret in fact he is in the same building as Dr Granvarlet and his name is Dr Allanore. He uses proper hygiene controls and is a very good dentist. You can get emergency appointments without too much of a problem though he doesn't speak English. My only problem with him is no matter what time I have an appointment I have to wait which I really hate because like most I am not a fan of the dentist at any time.
My husband once had to go to see Dr Granvarlet as Dr Allanore was away he said he would never go back to see him again as he was in a lot of pain when he drilled the tooth and he is not bothered normally. So as I am a baby if I can't get Allanore I will wait!!
I also know of another one in Bourganeuf this is an English speaking (possibly an English native) lady called Marilla her practice is by the roundabout in the town and her number is 0555 640898 I have heard good reports about her though have not visited myself. She told a friend of mine that the French dentists use a very mild anaesthetic but she uses the English version which I guess accounts for why we seem to have extra injections here.

For the Doctor I have also heard that the one in Bonnat Dr Reix is very good though since we have moved I have not as yet had call to visit but a good friend of mine has and she recommends him very highly.

Hopefully you will need none of the above on your next visit over but it's always worth knowing.
Jasmine

jasmine
Dec 2007
by Tenryu • Tue 02 Sep 2008 12:16

I also know of another one in Bourganeuf this is an English speaking (possibly an English native) lady called Marilla her practice is by the roundabout in the town and her number is 0555 640898 I have heard good reports about her though have not visited myself.
Said jasmine
I also heard she was fine.
She told a friend of mine that the French dentists use a very mild anaesthetic but she uses the English version which I guess accounts for why we seem to have extra injections here.
Said jasmine
Interresting, I didn't know.

Tenryu
Jun 2006
by edmoraz • Tue 02 Sep 2008 14:13

Can anyone phone for an appointment or is it like the UK and you have to register with one. How much would it be for example a check up?

edmoraz
Feb 2008
by Tenryu • Tue 02 Sep 2008 16:18

No, you don't have to register with one, you can change whenever you want. You have for doctors, but not for dentists.

Sorry I have no idea for the cost of a check-up.

Tenryu
Jun 2006
by beetle • Tue 02 Sep 2008 18:45

During the August bank holiday I had the thought - what if we were in France and this happened;- cycling along with not care in the world, sun 8) peeking through the odd rain cloud.
On a bicycle you are fairly high of the ground. Coming upto a lefthand bend with a junction on our right which we wanted to turn into, I drop my grip on the handle bars to reach the brakes.....I'm still clipped into the pedals and holding the handle bars, but now I have a closeup view of a car tyre flashing past my eye's 8O . Bits of me hurt a lot but everything still seem's to be working (another of my nine live's lost :roll: )

The next day see's a large swelling on my hip joint and a painfull neck and shoulder. A qiuck trip to A&E reveals nothing more than soft tissue damage and no fractures. Now I have turned black,blue,violet and yellow in the danaged area's and with this the pain is subsiding daily.
:roll:
Had we been in France, is a quick trip to A&E possible?
What would an X-ray cost.
Are doctors available for a call out?
How much paperwork must you obtain to claim costs back from the NHS or your private health care insurance?

Accidents just happen when you least expect it. We have heard someone descrbe how they fell out of their loft, another who stepped back to sdmire his pointing and fall of the scafolding.

If you never find what you seek, you never wanted it badly enough in the first place.
beetle
Dec 2007
by Isabel • Tue 02 Sep 2008 19:19

Hi Edmoraz

Don't know the cost of a check up but the cost for my dental treatment was very reasonable: 2 x-rays, 2 anaesthetic injections & drill work - about 30 mins in the chair - for 22 euros. Four lots of medication came to about 45 euros.

Incidentally my holiday health insurance company were very supportive - on the phone translation service offered (not used though)& follow up calls to see how I was. I don't think that I will be submitting a claim though because the total cost hardly exceeds my excess.

Isabel

Isabel
Nov 2007
by rictel • Tue 02 Sep 2008 21:44

My wife is currently undergoing dental treatment with Marilla Langston in Bourganeuf ( mentioned in an earlier post ), she hails originally from Scotland although now has lost any accent, so communication is no problem for non French speakers, plus the aneasthetics actually work !! After having experienced some of the " horror stories" mentioned in other posts , we have no hesitaion in recommending her very highly

4, Rue des Ecoles, 23400 Bourganeuf.
Appts on 0555 64 08 98.

hope this helps,
Richard.

rictel
Dec 2007
by edmoraz • Wed 03 Sep 2008 11:24

Thanks for that it seems dental treatment is better value than our so called free NHS treatment. I have also made a note of the dentist in Bourganeuf ( hope I dont need to visit her although she sounds very nice).

edmoraz
Feb 2008
by Tenryu • Wed 03 Sep 2008 13:30

So now let's get to the real conclusion : KEEP YOUR TEETH CLEAN, BRUSH THEM EVERY DAY AFTER EACH MEAL, AND DON'T EAT BETWEEN MEAL.

(This is supposed to be funny).

Tenryu
Jun 2006
by FionaFrance • Thu 04 Sep 2008 10:59

Thanks one and all - this is really useful information to have.

On the 'prevention is better than cure' principle, we recently discovered something called 'Plaque Off' - in fact our vet prescribed it for the dog and cat to keep their teeth from getting tartar build-up! It sounded so good I asked if it was available for people and she said yes, it is.

It's a seaweed-based herbal supplement that works through the saliva and reputedly prevents plaque from sticking to the teeth, and thus tartar from forming.

I'm going to give it a go. I must stress that this is not a recommendation, as I haven't yet tried it, but if you google the name it is available on line.

(It's not suitable for anyone with thyroid problems though, beacause of the iodine content, due to being seaweed-based.)

I'm going to ask my dentist if she's heard of it next time I go for a check-up. If it really works, you'd think they'd recommend it ... but then again they always get a few extra quid out of me for the old scrape and polish, so I guess they don't want to lose that!

FionaFrance
Oct 2007
by TournesolKate • Sat 18 Oct 2008 12:33

In response to beetle's question about visiting A&E...

In may of this year, I managed to break my leg (while on my way to Le Havre for a return visit to UK) this was in the Maine et Loire region, but I'm pretty sure all hospitals would have the same procedures.

I'm lucky enough to have a French partner who does my translating for me if I get stuck.
We went to the nearest hospital with an A&E department (look for signs saying URGENCES) I was taken first to a little office, where they checked if I was covered. As long as you have your european health insurance card, you should be covered for accident treatment, which includes X rays and any treatment you receive in the hospital.

I had to buy crutches and prescribed pain killers from the pharmacie.

You can get an application for an EHIC from UK post offices, or online.

TournesolKate
Oct 2008
by alldown • Fri 04 Dec 2009 21:45

We are visiting France for a few weeks just outside Gouzon. Unfortunately my husband has an ongoing illness which is causing a problem at the moment. I know that Dave put on some English speaking doctors on this site last year, but wondered if anybody had information about an English speaking doctor anywhere close to Gouzon.

A friend suggested that I try the new medical clinic in Gouzon and I will visit to see if they either, have an English speaker, or can point me in the right direction, but if anyone has a suggestion I would be grateful.

alldown
Sep 2005
by David_J • Sat 05 Dec 2009 09:48

I don't know if this will help - I guess it depends on your definition of 'close' to Gouzon.
I am registered with Dr Tardieu in Mainsat whose English is excellent and I have no hesitation in recommending her.

David_J
Aug 2006
by alldown • Sun 06 Dec 2009 00:50

Thank you so much David Dr Tardieu is around 30 minutes from where we are and my husband has an appointment for Monday.

30 minutes seems a long way if you compare it to where your doctor would be in England but we appreciate this is very rural France (it is part of the reason we love it here)

My French is sort of passable in social situations but it is hopeless in a complicated medical situation

Kind regards Gill

alldown
Sep 2005
by alldown • Tue 08 Dec 2009 13:34

We went to see Dr Tardieu yesterday and I can only endorse what David said she has excellent English was very thorough and extremely pleasant.

She spent about half an hour with Stephen which we were amazed at. At our GP's in the UK you are allocated a ten minute appointment and you are lucky if you get that appointment the same week that you telephoned for it.

Thanks again David

Gill

alldown
Sep 2005
by tiggywink • Tue 07 Feb 2012 10:18

Having had a very bad experience in Bourganeuf I found a fabulous dentist in Gueret Dr. Waganaar. He fixed a problem which I had been treated for for nearly a year in 2 short visits. Can't recommend him highly enough. Pain relief and hygiene was top quality.

tiggywink
Feb 2012
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions