Pont Noir

Live Life in Creuse

Driving Licence
by tomdenne • Tue 29 Jul 2008 20:31
A looming problem; can anybody help? :?:

Shortly after arriving in France I swapped my UK licence for a French one. The French licence permits me to drive indefinitely over here but there is an endorsement on the back that says it is not valid in the UK after I (shortly) become seventy.

Fair enough, because at home one would have to get a doctor's certificate and then renew one's licence. But what to do here?

Can one rely on the phrase that I vaguely recall that says something like "holds or has held and is not disqualified from holding..."? Would it be worth getting a doc's certificate? Is it a plan to write to the DVLA even though it's not their licence?

Has anyone else encountered this problem and found a solution?

All suggestions (apart fom 'catch a bus/train') will be most gratefully received!

Cheers, Tom
tomdenne
Jan 2008
Re: Driving Licence
by Twiggy • Tue 29 Jul 2008 20:55
a friend had a similar question and contacted the DVLA

They simply said switch back to a UK licence and all will be simpler.

So they did, and it is/was

Twiggy
Twiggy
Aug 2007
by tomdenne • Tue 29 Jul 2008 22:12
Thanks Twiggy. This is certainly a possible solution but since I'm permanently resident & domiciled in France there are problems driving with an English licence.

For example, as I understand, if you commit an offence that costs you points, an English licence cannot be endorsed in France. Instead, your English licence may well be confiscated. Again, I don't think that the DVLA will issue a licence to someone who has no address in the UK. What do you think?
tomdenne
Jan 2008
by Twiggy • Wed 30 Jul 2008 14:04
I dont know of the fine details just that my friend has done it in the recent past.

What I have heard recently is that as of 2009 the DVLA will begin to share information with the french equivilant.

Also, the French are keeping notes so if you get caught speeding now, then once the information is available in 2009 they will then send you a backdated fine & points.

This is worth bearing in mind if you come over for holidays as currently if you hire a car and speed there is very little the French can do. But if they can keep your details until next year then some may be getting a few leters in the post.

If you find anything different out, please let us know

Twiggy
Twiggy
Aug 2007
by tomdenne • Thu 31 Jul 2008 21:29
An update on my recent post

Just on the off-chance I wrote to the DVLA and here is their reply: :)
Thomas Denne to drivers.dvla
show details 20:45 (23 hours ago) Reply

In 2000 I moved permanently to France. In 2001 I swapped my UK driving licence for a French one. This French licence enables me to drive indefinitely in all countries except, ironically, for the UK, where it is invalid when I become 70. What can I do if I should want to drive in the UK after that date for a holiday etc?
With my best regards, Thomas David Denne.
Reply Forward

drivers.dvla@gtnet.gov.uk to me
show details 15:10 (5 hours ago) Reply

Thank you for your email.
Providing your French licence is valid, you are covered to drive in the UK for the duration of your holiday.
I trust this is helpful.
Regards
Y Nicholas
So there it is... straight from the powers that be. If I had ever thought that the DVLA could help in the first place I wouldn't have bothered you all on this forum. But maybe this authoritative response might help someone else as well. It has certainly been a great relief to me.

Cheers, Tom
tomdenne
Jan 2008
by amandaandclint • Thu 31 Jul 2008 22:10
Hi Tom

Glad you got to the bottom of it.
Migh tbe worth you editing your last post and removing your driving lic number...

...as you never know who could use it (For one thing people can get your date of birth from it)

We rented a motor a few years back in Cyprus and all we needed to do on their website was provide our Drivers Lic number and they confirmed our booking.

Clint
amandaandclint
Feb 2007
by tomdenne • Thu 31 Jul 2008 22:16
Thanks Clint; a wize precaution, which I've now taken.
Cheers, Tom
tomdenne
Jan 2008
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions