Tax Habitation and Foncier
by sally watkins • Wed 30 Nov 2016 17:46

Hi,

When we bought our house in February this year we paid 11 months Taxe d'habitation.

We haven't yet received a bill for this year or for Tax Foncier. I now have the horrible feeling that we should have registered somewhere, but because we paid the first bill on signing for the house, I thought we were registered. I'm guessing we will have to pay a fine too.

Can anyone tell me what we should have done or do now? I have written to the Marie to find out more too.

Thanks

sally watkins
Jul 2015
Re: Tax Habitation and Foncier
by rictel • Wed 30 Nov 2016 20:55

We've not received the habitation tax bill yet either, but the Fonciers came in September. Probably worth a trip to your local Tresor Public to make some enquiries.

rictel
Dec 2007
by sally watkins • Sat 03 Dec 2016 22:19

Thanks Rictel,

As it turns out both the notair and immobilier who sold us the house say that as we didn't own the house on the 1st of January, we don't pay until 2017. I hope they're right!

sally watkins
Jul 2015
by Ricardo • Tue 06 Dec 2016 21:40

Having completed our renovation in France I have received my updated devis for the Tax d'Habitation. i know that the charges are dependent upon size of property, room numbers etc, but as a holiday home what sort of ball park figure should I expect to have to pay especially as I am not a full time resident?

Ricardo
Jul 2009
by Dave • Thu 08 Dec 2016 18:37

It very difficult to give a figure because it depends almost entirely on your house, but expect to pay around €400 to €800 for Taxes Foncières (due in mid October) and almost the same for Taxe d'Habitation (due in mid December) including the TV license (€137 for 2016).

If your house is very large and luxurious you'll pay a lot more. You may be able to get exemptions for some or all of it, although these aren't likely for second homes. If the house is habitable on 1st January then you are liable for the habitation tax regardless of if you live there. If it isn't habitable on that date you won't have to pay but you need to prove it (i.e. the house is a ruin or it has no services or furniture at all). It makes no difference that you live in the UK for most of the year, you pay the same either way.

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by Ricardo • Fri 09 Dec 2016 18:16

Thanks for this Dave. I realised that it would be difficult to give an exact figure as there are many variables, but at least it tells me that I am in the right range!

Ricardo
Jul 2009
by edmoraz • Thu 22 Dec 2016 16:37

I had to go the tresor in bourganeuf because even though I had told them of my change of address they still sent the bill to my old English address.

edmoraz
Feb 2008
by Ricardo • Wed 21 Nov 2018 17:20

Can anyone tell me if the rates for Tax Foncier have increased this year? Mine has gone up over 300%. Is there something I am not aware of as my Tax d'habitation is pretty much the same.

Ricardo
Jul 2009
by Dave • Wed 21 Nov 2018 18:44

Mine has gone up about 2.5% which is pretty much normal.

It should show you on the back page which part has increased, but 300% is a lot unless you had a reduction applied before (because the place was considered a ruin for example).

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by RobertArthur • Sun 25 Nov 2018 12:41

Not (yet) relevant for the Creuse and the Nièvre, the permission given to certain municipalities in 2013 to levy an extra "surtaxe d'habitation" for maisons secondaires, under president Hollande. They don't have to do it, they can if deemed necessary. President Macron made matters more complicated for local budgets with his decision to abolish (gradually) the taxe d'habitation for the owners living in their résidences principales. Shifting the attention of mr taxman to those having a maison secondaire, not exempt from paying this tax. The sky is the limit, but in this case the maximum rise allowed is 60 %, if the conseil of your municipality decides so. The conseil de Paris seems to be of the opinion that national legislation is not allowed to cross the Boulevard Péripherique and decided to publish their political wishlist: max rise of 250 %. The list of the regions with many unhappy owners of second houses is growing. A complete list of the cities and regions under the umbrella of this "permis de chasse" for local tax authorities you'll find here. In the French press this article in Lemonde earlier this year and less alarming figures about rises of the taxe foncière.

RobertArthur
Mar 2009
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions